PDA

View Full Version : If anyone knows...

killerbee
November 3rd, 2011, 08:51 AM
....what happens when you try to use a different OS A40 controller?

THEFERMANATOR
November 3rd, 2011, 05:51 PM
....what happens when you try to use a different OS A40 controller?

Are you asking about a different TCM or trying to flash in a differrent OS? I believe you can do TCM swaps so long as teh TCM has the correct OS in it for the engine generation it is going in. As for differrent OS flashing, this isn't supported as EFILIVE has said that the time involved in a full flash is too long.

killerbee
November 3rd, 2011, 06:17 PM
The reality around not being able to full flash is what is driving the question. Since the TCM is "stuck" with the os that is in it (no tech 2), what is the result of using the "wrong" os. I have assumed so far that it would be trouble

Cougar281
November 9th, 2011, 04:33 PM
I don't think it would flash at all. I suspect EFILive would look at the OS and not allow you to flash it if the OS was different.

killerbee
November 13th, 2011, 03:06 AM
This isn't a flash discussion. We don't have full flash capability of the A40, so we are stuck with the OS that is inside of it (or get a Tech2). SO the question is if swapping in any other TCM (different os) would cause problems.

GMC-2002-Dmax
November 13th, 2011, 03:36 AM
This isn't a flash discussion. We don't have full flash capability of the A40, so we are stuck with the OS that is inside of it (or get a Tech2). SO the question is if swapping in any other TCM (different os) would cause problems.

The problem with using a TECH2 and GM/TIS is you can usually only get the current calibration, not the "one" you really want.

The early 2006/LLY TCM's were better, just like the 2001/OS was better.

I would have to check and see if a TECH2 could read/save a TCM calinbration and re-program into another TCM.

Cougar281
November 14th, 2011, 09:22 AM
Sorry, your post sounded like you were wondering what would happen if you tried to flash a different OS cal onto the TCM. As for swapping the TCM, it will work fine as long as i's not a calibration for something totally different (like a CAT engine and Allison 2000), just like how the 2001 TCM calibration could be used with the 2005's.