PDA

View Full Version : Maxed MAF Procharged LSX

TurboCamaro
November 8th, 2011, 06:50 PM
I am tuning a 97 vette with a Procharged 427in LSX. The customer wants to maintain the MAF although I suggested an upgrade to 411 computer and COS3. I have tuned the VE successfully. Upon tuning the MAF I have hit the 512 limit at 4300RPM. It is pretty stout making 480hp with extremely conservative timing. What is the best path to tune around this limit. Is upgrading to a larger MAF a feasible option?

Thanks

ScarabEpic22
November 8th, 2011, 08:52 PM
You can either try a 100mm MAF and rescale the appropriate tables, but honestly you're right in suggesting a 99-02 PCM and a COS. Not sure your customer is going to be happy with it until that happens, cant you convince them that running boost without being able to control the VE and spark correctly it wont even run to its full potential? With a procharged 427 LSX, they've already dropped lots of $$ into the build so I understand the want to try and stop the bleeding, but it would be a few hours of work, a PCM, and a license. Even hiring it out probably wouldnt be more than ~$400 for everything.

$400 and a 2Bar MAP vs $15k+ engine/blower combo. Maybe that can convince them?

TurboCamaro
November 10th, 2011, 04:21 PM
Thanks for the comments.
When you say rescale the appropriate tables what table other than the MAF table itself would be affected.

eficalibrator
November 11th, 2011, 11:15 AM
Thanks for the comments.
When you say rescale the appropriate tables what table other than the MAF table itself would be affected.
Basically, EVERYTHING with units of g, g/s, g/cyl, or torque. There is no halfway on this if you want it to work right. I covered the whole scaling exercise thoroughly in my "GM Tuning Advanced Guide" training DVD, but the topic has been discussed here several times before as well if you want to wade through the search function for a couple days.

If you use the slot element from an LS3/7, you should be able to still make a LOT of horsepower without running out of MAF range, even on the older stock operating system.

TurboCamaro
November 12th, 2011, 05:00 PM
Thanks Greg
I have read all your books and have your first DVD, great stuff.
Time to order your advanced DVD and get to your class.

I have scoured this forum and think I understand the workarounds of the scaling.

If the LS3/7 slot element is used in a 4" tube the 11250Hz512g/s limits still exist in the cal. Are there other changes to do in the Cal or only tune the MAF sensor. My Tech background is pushing me to understand what is happening. I am thinking the larger tube results in lower air velocity and thus less cooling affect on the sensor but the total air flow rate is now greater than what is being represented. So wouldn't this result in a leaner A/F.