PDA

View Full Version : Equinox Tuning?

turbo_bu
November 13th, 2011, 07:16 AM
Looking at getting a new family ride, and was considering the Equinox's. Luckily, it looks like EFILive supports these. Anyone had much luck with tuning one? How about increasing the mileage? I think Trifecta (spelling?) has a canned tune, but not sure if they are using EFI Live or not.

ScarabEpic22
November 13th, 2011, 12:27 PM
Trifecta uses some HPT elements and some proprietary stuff from what I can tell, no clue if they use EFILive for anything.

I imagine the newer Equinox's respond reasonably well to a tune, the DI engines are already pretty good on mileage but building a solid tune can only help.

Boost
November 14th, 2011, 12:19 PM
Just today, I was working on some new Equinox(s) and looking at the stock ECM calibration with EFILive. Looked like a lot of potential in the tune such as variable intake manifold and intake and exhaust cam phasing with EGR effect, etc... Also some customers have complained of 19 or so MPG which apparently there is a TSB about updating the algorythm or something. So due to the mega high sales #s and popularity, I got really motivated about tuning them and was going to start a thread here called "Equinox tuning", lol :)

I will say this:

TCM is not supported

Trifecta does not use EFILive

And I pulled a stock cal and compared it to a GM updated cal with many changes and they looked identical so that means there are lots of tables and parameters we are not seeing (YET)...

That being said, I am very interested ans seriously considering licensing one, so please everyone post as much info about tuning them here as you can!

:)

ScarabEpic22
November 14th, 2011, 02:04 PM
Are they using the T78 or something like that?

turbo_bu
November 15th, 2011, 02:45 PM
Which TCM was one of my questions, and if it's supported. I have also read about some poor MPG's on these things. Thus another one of my motives for seeing if it just needs a little tuning. Anyone else out there have any experience with working on these things?

Boost
November 15th, 2011, 11:46 PM
Trifecta reports good results. EFILive does not support tranny. There is a dealer reflash for the mileage.

Barnettthl
December 10th, 2011, 11:17 PM
The ECM and TCM are supported by efi if you get the v6 version. I have the terrain and have used both.

Boost
December 11th, 2011, 12:26 AM
Cool, and good to know.

turbo_bu
December 14th, 2011, 10:07 AM
The ECM and TCM are supported by efi if you get the v6 version. I have the terrain and have used both.

v6? You mean with V8 software?

BTW - it looks like 2011 models are pretty much gone. Any word on if / when the 2012 Equinox's will be supported? Either ECM / TCM or both???

GMPX
December 14th, 2011, 10:23 AM
We've had some 2012 E39 reads sent in from various vehicles, but not an Equinox. But it's probably going to be sharing the same OS's as all the other 2012 models. As for the TCM, it might be using the T76, in that case it's not supported.

Cheers,
Ross

ScarabEpic22
December 14th, 2011, 11:49 AM
v6? You mean with V8 software?

BTW - it looks like 2011 models are pretty much gone. Any word on if / when the 2012 Equinox's will be supported? Either ECM / TCM or both???

I think he means if you get a V6 Equinox, not an I4.

So its a T76 TCM, hmm looks like we've got a winner for GM's new small-medium size TCM choice in this one. (Ross, any idea if it might be in the future?)

GMPX
December 14th, 2011, 12:41 PM
So its a T76 TCM, hmm looks like we've got a winner for GM's new small-medium size TCM choice in this one. (Ross, any idea if it might be in the future?)
Not real high on the list, too many bigger fish to fry first. Besides, we can't get one without it coming attached to a transmission.

64camino
December 14th, 2011, 01:05 PM
24256524 Is a new number for the valve body with TCM. That new number is not restricted.

ScarabEpic22
December 14th, 2011, 01:55 PM
Not real high on the list, too many bigger fish to fry first. Besides, we can't get one without it coming attached to a transmission.

Like getting more 5.9 features out and getting 6.7 stuff into public release? I figured ha, eventually it'd be nice as a lot of these newer cars (especially the Cruze and Sonic's with the 1.4L Turbo) need tunes!

24256524 Is a new number for the valve body with TCM. That new number is not restricted.

Good to know, glad GM's easing up a little on parts availability for some controllers!

GMPX
December 14th, 2011, 02:02 PM
That right there was also a big problem.

Boost
December 14th, 2011, 11:13 PM
T76 will be great for Cruze and Sonic tuning. Whenever you get around to it, no pressure. :)

turbo_bu
December 15th, 2011, 05:05 AM
I think he means if you get a V6 Equinox, not an I4.

So for the 4 cylinder, the ECM is supported, but not the TCM. If you get the V6, the both the ECM and TCM are supported?

GMPX
December 15th, 2011, 06:57 AM
Not sure about that as a firm rule. I think the way it works is if it's FWD then it's probably a T76, if it's RWD or 4WD then it will be a T43.

ScarabEpic22
December 15th, 2011, 09:13 AM
So for the 4 cylinder, the ECM is supported, but not the TCM. If you get the V6, the both the ECM and TCM are supported?

I honestly dont know, just reporting what my research on here and around the 'net have turned up.

turbo_bu
January 9th, 2012, 05:33 AM
Just today, I was working on some new Equinox(s) and looking at the stock ECM calibration with EFILive. Looked like a lot of potential in the tune such as variable intake manifold and intake and exhaust cam phasing with EGR effect, etc... Also some customers have complained of 19 or so MPG which apparently there is a TSB about updating the algorythm or something. So due to the mega high sales #s and popularity, I got really motivated about tuning them and was going to start a thread here called "Equinox tuning", lol :)

I will say this:

TCM is not supported

Trifecta does not use EFILive

And I pulled a stock cal and compared it to a GM updated cal with many changes and they looked identical so that means there are lots of tables and parameters we are not seeing (YET)...

That being said, I am very interested ans seriously considering licensing one, so please everyone post as much info about tuning them here as you can!

:)

Boost - do you happen to have a copy of the tune you pulled from the Equinox to look at? I looked over at the Tune Depot, but no Equinox tunes over there.

Boost
January 9th, 2012, 09:47 AM
Sure thing! You can ask me for any combination / version of Equinox tunes and I can get them for you :) Here for starters:

turbo_bu
January 10th, 2012, 05:44 AM
Sure thing! You can ask me for any combination / version of Equinox tunes and I can get them for you :) Here for starters:

Boost -

Thanks, - I ended up buying a 2012 LS 2.4L FWD one. I haven't had time to update to the latest V8 software to see if I can get a read or not. Guessing that EFI Live hasn't released support for the new OS yet.

I hope to start getting so scans while driving it soon to see what its doing in there. I can say, that the factory tuning is not too bad. You can feel it grunting quite a bit when it lugs back down ~1800 - 2000 RPM going up a hill.

GMPX
January 10th, 2012, 09:11 AM
Guessing that EFI Live hasn't released support for the new OS yet.
No, not for the 2012 models. The E39 had 'another' big update in 2012, so it's going to be a bit of messing around for the 2012 cars.

Boost
January 10th, 2012, 11:29 PM
They are good driving engines, hope you enjoy it! Support will be out sooner or later, look forward to that also. Yeah GM does lots of updates and changes that makes it complicated to keep up. I don't know if you guys notice but I can't see any difference between the two files I supplied, yet there is a list of them from GM. Those are tables we can't see I suppose.but there is plenty to work with.

GMPX
January 11th, 2012, 10:06 AM
Most of GM's updates throughout a model year seem to be related to diagnostics changes, just recently I've seen quite a number of new OS's come out across various ECM's that describe the update as "New software to ensure proper operation of generic scan tools. Has no impact on engine operation".
It's when they change models years the misery (for us) usually starts.

Boost
January 11th, 2012, 11:24 PM
Cool, thanks for the info Ross! Indeed, they do a lot of internal small changes, some of them seem quite retarded (to me). But they know what they are doing. Keep up the great work EFILive, we thank you!!! :)