PDA

View Full Version : Minor things with Scantool and Flashscan

TAQuickness
January 29th, 2005, 04:01 PM
Scantool:
I've been using the MAP's quite a bit lately to get my SD tune perfected. I've noticed that if I close then reopen the scan tool, it doesn't "remember" all the maps I had open from the previouse instance. Most of the time it will remember 3 out 4. On some occasions, it only remembers 1.

Also, when I am creating new maps, and select save, it always defaults to "\EFILive\V7\Maps" folder. Would be nice for it to remember the last place I saved to.

Flashscan:
I can not undo any changes after I a save the .tun file.
I like to save my work frequently as not to loose what I have done, however, I have wanted to back up a few steps shortly after saving and could not.

Would also be nice if the undo steps were saved in the .tun file some how. This would give us the ability to make changes, save, flash, close Flashscan, open Flashscan at a later time, undo the tuning changes, then reflash.

GMPX
January 29th, 2005, 04:49 PM
Flashscan:
I like to save my work frequently as not to loose what I have done, however, I have wanted to back up a few steps shortly after saving and could not.

I know what you are saying, but I do not know one software package that allows undo's from a saved file, it's just not the 'done' thing.
Maybe with a pen and paper (or use notepad) every change you make save as a new tun file. You might end up with as an example Tuned001 - Tuned006, but if Tuned0006 is O.K, then delete all before it.

Cheers,
Ross

Delco
January 29th, 2005, 06:35 PM
Scantool:
I've been using the MAP's quite a bit lately to get my SD tune perfected. I've noticed that if I close then reopen the scan tool, it doesn't "remember" all the maps I had open from the previouse instance. Most of the time it will remember 3 out 4. On some occasions, it only remembers 1.

Also, when I am creating new maps, and select save, it always defaults to "\EFILive\V7\Maps" folder. Would be nice for it to remember the last place I saved to.

Flashscan:

Would also be nice if the undo steps were saved in the .tun file some how. This would give us the ability to make changes, save, flash, close Flashscan, open Flashscan at a later time, undo the tuning changes, then reflash.

I save after most changes when I am tuning on the dyno , its not uncommon to be up to tune_0099.tun by the time I finalise a tune , best to always us save_as and let it renumber for you as you go - that way you can always step back to where you want to.

Blacky
January 29th, 2005, 08:14 PM
Currently, the undo option can't be kept across file saves, since you may change the units specification in between saving the file and reopening it.
If you were working in mph and changed a value from 100mph to 150mph then saved the file, then changed the units to metric so that the 150mph value becomes 240kmh, then you hit undo, instead of undoing back to 160kmh (i.e. the original 100mph) it would undo back to 100kmh which is clearly not what would be expected.

I know we could redesign the whole undo/redo code to transpose between units, but that gets very complicated and messy. Or we could clear the undo/redo info if and only if the units system was changed. Maybe we will do that one day, its not impossible.
Delco has the right idea - use the "Save as..." option which automatically increments a file "version" number.

A new feature that will be implemented in the next version is a "history" that is saved with the file that records *every* single value that was changed, date/time stamped so you can always look back through a *.tun file and see what you have changed, all the way back to day 1.

Regards
Paul

TAQuickness
January 30th, 2005, 03:56 AM
Cool. I have never seen a program that saves the undo changes once a file was closed then re opened. Would be a nice feature though. I'll start using the save as feature.