PDA

View Full Version : Please help tune my '04 Saturn Ion 2.2 !!! :(

Boost
November 16th, 2011, 02:10 PM
I really really want to tune my daily driver car. If I am somehow able to modify it so that it's tuneable, I can be happy on my current budget, and add modifications as well as practice. I was thinking that maybe simply swapping control modules, flashing a custom OS, or getting a junkyard harness would do the trick?? :(

The car is a 2004 Saturn Ion (Ion 2 I think) with an automatic transmission. Many many times I have tried tuning and reading it, and it is not supported. I was able to somehow record a log which had some working PIDs. The sad thing is that it is a simple 2.2 liter "F" motor Ecotec (140 hp / 145 tq), and quite a few cars such as the Cobalt of the same engine and similar year ARE supported! I am so desperate that I considered trading it in for like a Cobalt that is supported but that would be a huge financial waste for an identical car. :(

So, what can I do that would work for sure? Look at all that very similar models that are supported. And the stupid TCM isn't available either. But at least if I could do the engine then I could turbo it...

E37 & E67 have several similar cars too.

06-07 Saturn Ion 2.2L (E67)

Atlas Engine PCM for I4, I5, I6 Engines - Stream P12

06 Chevrolet Malibu 2.2L

97-02 4 Cylinder - Stream P08

97-02 Chevrolet Cavalier 2.2L
97-02 Pontiac Sunfire 2.2L
00-02 Saturn L Series 2.2L
97-00 Chevrolet S10 2.2L
97-00 GMC Sonoma 2.2L

02-05 4 Cylinder - Stream P11

02-05 Chevrolet Cavalier 2.2L
04-05 Chevrolet Classic 2.2L
02-04 Oldsmobile Alero 2.2L
02-05 Pontiac Grand AM 2.2L
02-05 Pontiac Sunfire 2.2L
02-04 Saturn L Series 2.2L

You cannot tell me that all those cars have different engine sensors and wiring when the engine looks feels sounds runs exactly the same. It must be just the OS / cal, no? Help!!! :(

Boost
November 16th, 2011, 02:13 PM
If I get an '05 Sunfire 2.2 or '04 L-series Saturn ECM, can I just plug it in and flash it and it will magically work??? :( I am willing o re-wire it so the connectors fit if it will work for sure.

Boost
November 16th, 2011, 03:30 PM
Ooops, cable throttle. OK, so, it I change the throttle body too, THEN can it work??? :(

Boost
November 17th, 2011, 03:49 PM
come on somebody, I got to know about this

Boost
November 18th, 2011, 02:52 AM
Ok so I am here at work looking at an '05 Grand Am with a cable throttle and L61. If I installed that controller in my car, it would have to work, wouldn't it????

slows10
November 18th, 2011, 03:08 AM
What crank reluctor wheel is in your car?

slows10
November 18th, 2011, 03:14 AM
I think you could just swap in a 02-05 p11 os cant you? I dont think its a big deal. Why not just try it?

Boost
November 18th, 2011, 04:25 AM
The Grand Am won't work, it has a PCM and I have an ECM /TCM !! :(

Thanks slows10, I will have to check which swap will work. As long as it has all the same sensors (IT SHOULD) and the same reluctor it should definitely work as long as it has ECM / TCM.

One big question is do I program it as a Saturn or with what VIN, will there be a conflict with the BCM???????

Boost
November 18th, 2011, 04:27 AM
What crank reluctor wheel is in your car?

7x reluctor wheel!

'04 Saturn L-series has the same setup!!!! Could this work perfect? Let me lool at the conncetor pins...

EDIT:

:( It has a FREAKING STUPID PCM too :(

Boost
November 18th, 2011, 04:33 AM
I think you could just swap in a 02-05 p11 os cant you? I dont think its a big deal. Why not just try it?

If I were to try this, and willing to risk the ECM, how do I do it (since I can't read or tune the sucker). Do I just attempt a FULL FLASH? :s

My guess is it would have to be a # higher than what I currently have (?) and definitely a cable throttle ECM / TCM setup like mine right?? :(

EDIT:

So far, from the looks of it, all the "J" cars have PCM, such as the '05 Sunfire :( :( :(

I am now looking at '05 "A" cars, such as the Cobalt, but I am guessing no Cobalt has ever had cable throttle...

Boost
November 18th, 2011, 05:19 AM
Well, I guess this is where it ends, the car has to be sold :( :( :( :( :(

I went to my parts counter to cross reference the ECM, and it only came in the '03 - '04 Ion. That's it.

I would have to literally swap in an electronic throttle, pedal, ECM or modify pins, and hope that the rest of it all works. That is way to much trouble. I was looking for a cheap an easy solution to tune the 2.2 that is supported in sooooo many other modules. But it's a no go from the looks of it. Any great ideas are very welcome.

I give up

Boost
November 18th, 2011, 05:45 AM
How about doing a segment swap from a cable throttle car, too comlex? wow this really sucks (for me) lol

slows10
November 18th, 2011, 07:07 AM
I think you are right it wont work, I forgot about the electronic throttle on the cobalt.

Boost
November 18th, 2011, 03:05 PM
Ok, so what about one last chance: If I take an electronic throttle body and gas pedal from say an '06 , and the ECM, let me see how the wiring / pins / connectors look... I really like my Saturn, it runs good and I will not waste $3k to get another bone stock Cobalt.