PDA

View Full Version : What to expect from Cummins?

pavetim
November 17th, 2011, 04:01 AM
I was thinking about upgrading my duramax efilive to get cummins support too. I have a couple friends that want it done and was gonna get some tunes from Rob for the Cummins. I was wondering what can I expect from the cummins tuning? I know more power but does it run alot smoother, better mileage and less smoke? And also what is the max hp the cummins trans will hold? And what would be the max power if they do use it for towing? Thanks guys/gals.

DoghouseDiesel
November 17th, 2011, 04:08 AM
Way too broad of a question.

We know nothing about the trucks in question or what's done to them, so answering any of your questions is completely a guess.

pavetim
November 17th, 2011, 06:08 AM
Well just assume they are stock trucks. And as far as I have read it's only one year range the 06-07 that can be tuned via efilive anyways right? So there really isn't too many variables to consider. Like I said, just assume the truck is stock.

DoghouseDiesel
November 17th, 2011, 06:59 AM
Well, if it's a stock truck, you can RELIABLY expect 40 - 60 hp from an automatic and 60 - 90 hp from a manual.

Anymore than that and you're blowing through the converter or clutch. The stock turbo is only good for about 40 - 60 hp before it can't control EGT's.

If it's towing, you don't want more than about 30 - 40 hp on a stock trans. The converter simply won't take it for very long.

Can you make more on a stock setup? Sure, but like I said RELIABLY. There have been guys that have made over 500 on a stock setup....try doing that in any real world condition and you won't be doing it long.

And yes, there are a lot more variables than that.

TexasCummins
November 17th, 2011, 12:22 PM
I can attest to the stock transmission not holding much more than stock. I'm daily driving a tune that doesn't even add 100hp and I slip going into third around 80% on the pedal.

I know of stock trucks putting down over 520hp (on a dyno tune), BUT without the supporting mods parts will start to fail.

pavetim
November 18th, 2011, 01:49 AM
So reliably your looking at 50hp max for a totally stock truck? Ok now we have the hp levels figured out. I'm familiar with Dmax tuning, the Cummins tuning do the pro tuners really tune for lower smoke or is that just a "cummins" that will always smoke. So since your not able to add that much extra hp due to the trans on a stock truck what are other advantages to tuning a cummins, smoother, low smoke, better mileage? I would normally email Rob or Nick but since they are busy guys i'm just gonna try to figure out on these forums what can be gotten with tuning cummins.

TexasCummins
November 18th, 2011, 01:52 AM
I have been able to tune in 50-70 more horsepower for a noticeable increase in acceleration, power and cooler temps without smoke. I can also tune it for better highway economy (city stop-n-go makes it harder to tune with my 3.73 gears and 35" mudders).

pavetim
November 18th, 2011, 02:11 AM
Ok cool i'll look into the upgrade then. Maybe one day, and would be nice if the Cummins can do a dsp5 or even a dsp2 also, that would be awesome.

olboyowl
November 18th, 2011, 04:05 AM
the switchable tuning will be offered after all the platforms have been covered for the cummins. even with 50 hp, its well worth the investment to go with efi live from the start. u can always add reliable power down the road as u upgrade parts.