PDA

View Full Version : Question about pcm.

isak81
November 19th, 2011, 10:39 AM
I am doing research on tuning my 2000 Chevy truck and I read that it would be better for me to use a operating system from a newer truck.
Does anyone here know what benefit it will be?? I also read that I should remove egr to improve power and fuel mileage. Whats the best thing for me to start with? I do not have the V2 yet but I want to see what i'm getting myself into.

Taz
November 19th, 2011, 01:23 PM
Hello Isak81,

Some of the benefits of upgrading the 2000 OS in your truck to a 2002 OS (newest possible - 1 Mb PCMs debuted in 2003) that immediately come to mind include:

option for Lean Cruise (LC) via CAX file
enhanced COS (Custom Operating System) support
single VE table (no backup VE Table - which your 2000 OS uses)
... and many others that don't immediately jump into recollection.

Regarding your EGR comments .... some newer models (newer than your 2000) eliminated EGR use via improvements in the tune, and to a lessor extent via minor revisions to camshaft profile. Some models continued to use an EGR valve.

The EGR valve is designed to reduce NOx (Oxides of Nitrogen) emissions by reducing cylinder temperatures. This has a side benefit of reducing knock sensitivity. You will not gain any fuel economy on a completely stock engine by removing / disabling the EGR system - often the reverse holds true - the GM service manual for your truck will list a defective EGR system as potentially contributory to reduced fuel economy.

Nor will the presence of an EGR valve effect WOT power output. Disabling the EGR may cause difficulty with passing an emissions tailpipe test. In my area, if the EGR is absent (when originally equipped) reputable test centers won't even let you attempt the emissions test, and you are subject to a $365 fine.

You will enjoy use the EFILive software / V2 for tuning LS1-B PCMs. On a vehicle with a completely stock engine the greatest impact to driving "feel" is made via tuning the transmission parameters of the PCM.

Just my opinion ...

Regards,
Taz

isak81
November 19th, 2011, 02:11 PM
From what I understand the computer pulls timing when the egr valve is open. I think my egr is controlled by a solenoid so just tuning it out would leave the valve closed and it will still be there physically. How do I go about updating my OS?
Thanks for the help,
Isak

Taz
November 19th, 2011, 03:11 PM
All Gen III EGR valves are fully electronic. In a stock 2000 OS I believe the PCM will ADD as much as 12 degrees of spark advance when the EGR is active.

To upgrade your 2000 OS equipped PCM you may simply use EFILive to "Full Flash" (OS & Calibration) an appropriate 2001 or 2002 OS.

Regards,
Taz

schwoch1
November 20th, 2011, 04:46 PM
I will agree with TAZ, there is NO power/mileage to be gained by disabling the EGR system on late model vehicles. In all performance situations, the EGR is off, and it only comes on in light throttle/low load conditions. Things are way different now a days compared to the 70's when you had to disable the EGR valve just to get the vehicle to run acceptably/at all! Unfortunately the mentality from the era still hangs around today!!!

Mike

isak81
December 3rd, 2011, 08:22 AM
Alright thanks for setting me straight. Were can I find a suitable 2002 OS? And I just got my V2 yesterday so far I have removed 70% torque management, set WOT transmission shift pionts 200 rpm higher, and set shift times 10% faster. What PIDS do I need to log. The Calc.VET tutorials I have read all use a wideband. Mine is coming in next week, so I would appreciate link to a writeup on how to do it without it.
Thanks for the help and patience
-Isak

Gregs
December 3rd, 2011, 08:47 AM
check out tunefiledepot.com for the tune files.

what kind of wideband are you getting?

isak81
December 3rd, 2011, 09:28 AM
I plan on getting the PLX DM-6 & SM-AFR Combo. I haven't ordered yet so if anybody has a better suggestion please chime in.
I know a LC-1 is cheaper but I want to move the WB between a few vehicles.