PDA

View Full Version : 930 hp / 1652 tq

DoghouseDiesel
November 19th, 2011, 10:36 AM
Put the truck back on the rollers to do the nitrous tuning on it today.

Pulled with .051, .061 and .073 jets before I was out of fuel that these little 37 lpm nozzles could support.

Uncorrected, unsmoothed numbers were 933/1663

http://i288.photobucket.com/albums/ll189/Cumminalong/Dohouse Diesel Pics/19NovDynoPulls.jpg

mstordahl
November 20th, 2011, 05:00 AM
Nice runs Rich! Looks like its time for some bigger nozzles to break the 1k mark?

DoghouseDiesel
November 20th, 2011, 05:19 AM
I've got a little something planned.

But it's gonna be bigger everything.

This truck is already at the point of needing a cage, but as long as it's a street truck, I'm not even putting the 6 point in it. Having a cage and no helmet is just flat dangerous.

If I run it on a track that actually goes by NHRA rules, I'd make one pass and they'd kick it off the track for not having the cage. It's gone through "tech" before with some of the "sanctioning bodies" and when they looked at it and asked if it had loops, a cage or if I had my fire jacket (required if running ANY aftermarket turbo) with me, I told them no and they still let it run.

So, there are some plans for it. At this point, the parts that are in the current motor are going to stay.

It's still on the original injectors (old style) with 87,000 miles on them, so they really need to be replaced with the new style stainless bodies. They're definitely getting short on their life span.

olboyowl
November 20th, 2011, 08:23 AM
nice numbers man

FUBAR
November 21st, 2011, 01:57 AM
It's still on the original injectors (old style) with 87,000 miles on them, so they really need to be replaced with the new style stainless bodies. They're definitely getting short on their life span.

Nice!!

A side thought about the above statement. After speaking with JL Machine in Michigan, they said they were seeing higher failure rates of the stainless ones than "old ones" due to the stainless ones having a mixture of stainless and non-stainless parts. The stainless parts are wearing the non-stainless parts faster. Any opinions on this?

DoghouseDiesel
November 21st, 2011, 04:14 AM
Can't say I've seen anything to support it.

Every time I get a truck in here with injector issues it's usually got a few common symptoms.

1 - It's the old style injectors with over 100k on them. This isn't THAT common, but of the wear related items, this is what we normally see.
2 - Water damage. This is our number one problem beyond anything else. Most of this is on stock trucks and guys that just fill them up and drive them every day. Simple lack of maintenance.
3 - MP8, no relief or modded relief valve, and dual or modded pumps. This is THE number 1 performance related injector failure I see come in. Pressures in excess of what the sensor can see and guys don't even know it.

I think what JL is probably seeing is more related to item number 3.

Think about it. Stock trucks don't go to JL Machine for injectors, they go to ther dealer. What JL Machine sees are injectors from trucks that have performance mods.

And I'll tell ya flat out.....most of the time, the customer will swear up and down they did nothing wrong and they don't understand why something is broke. They think because they spent a crap load of money on a given part that it's indestructible, and that's just not the case. Just because a part was put in a few thousand miles ago doesn't mean you didn't damage it.

From the time it leaves the shop and it's in a customers hands, you have NO IDEA what they do with it. Some basic failure analysis (i.e. simple question and answer session) usually tells the real story.

Example: Look at the pictures below. It's difficult to see, but there are spider web fractures all across the face of the nozzle and there is fracture from the needle bore to the fuel feed orifice on both the injector body and the nozzle. This only happens from one thing...elevated pressures and no where to go.

http://i288.photobucket.com/albums/ll189/Cumminalong/Truck Pictures/Slide1-58.jpg

http://i288.photobucket.com/albums/ll189/Cumminalong/Truck Pictures/Slide2-58.jpg