PDA

View Full Version : Random thought I had

Trapper
November 26th, 2011, 06:33 AM
Has anyone tried to read a box tune? Like leave a smarty tune loaded and then read it off with your scanner just to see what all they do with their tuning. I was curious if this is actually possible.

ScarabEpic22
November 26th, 2011, 06:40 AM
Dont. Messes a lot of stuff up, plus those tunes are crap compared to a real tune. Read the threads in this section of the forum, all the Cummins beta testers will tell you to ditch any box tune and start over with a fresh stock tune. The return to stock only works on some box tuners, usually have to push a clean stock tune into the ECM.

TexasCummins
November 26th, 2011, 06:44 AM
I've seen one, they're not "tuned". They command max fuel, max rail pressure, no fuel limiting, etc... it's a mess.

Like stated above, start with a stock file and tune it. I've made my own that drives better, has more power and does not smoke.

FUBAR
November 26th, 2011, 07:40 AM
^^^^x3^^^^

dansdieselp
November 27th, 2011, 04:00 AM
Don't waste your time. There are EFILive tunes that you can purchase that will blow any box tuner out of the water.

Trapper
November 27th, 2011, 05:28 AM
I know that box tuners are not as good as a good efi tune. I was just curious to actually see what the box tuners adjusted on different settings would look like.

2006Cummins
November 27th, 2011, 08:19 AM
I tried reading my crazy larry program a while back to see what the maximum commanded duration was so that when I started building my tune I was within the same ball park for max horsepower. When I looked at the tune that was read it looked completely stock, except for max rpm, and maybe one other thing, was different. I don't get it. I just did a data log of a wot run to see where I was at for duration.

Mike

FUBAR
November 27th, 2011, 08:49 AM
Because you won't be able to see what the tune is actually doing unless you're knowledgable enough to create/use custom maps and figure out what's actually going on. That's why you never refer to a box tune. Go ahead, base your low and midrange fuel pressure off Smarty, guarantee you it'll actually be twice as much as what you THINK the tune is calling for. That's just one of the many examples.

dansdieselp
November 27th, 2011, 08:56 AM
BD has their own custom operating system. That gives them the ability to adjust the tunes while driving. So you won't see any changes cause its not a stock op system. Kinda like a patch file.

2006Cummins
November 27th, 2011, 12:45 PM
BD has their own custom operating system. That gives them the ability to adjust the tunes while driving. So you won't see any changes cause its not a stock op system. Kinda like a patch file.

That makes sense. Thank you for the explanation.

Mike

THEFERMANATOR
November 28th, 2011, 06:01 AM
Also remember that EFILIVE does not show you everything in the ECM OS. There are MANY tables in there that you CANNOT see with EFILIVE that may have been changed. Without being able to see these hidden tables, you will never know exactly what all was changed.

GMPX
November 28th, 2011, 03:24 PM
We (meaning, EFILive tuners) have seen evidence that some of the box tuners just change tables in the hope it does something without actually looking at what path the ECM code takes (that's my job), so don't assume they are smarter. Without tracing the code flow then it's easy to miss little things that can limit or make a table have little bearing on how the engine runs. Reality is, only Cummins really knows how these ECM's work 100%, we all just figure out what we can.