PDA

View Full Version : K Type Thermal Couples with EFIL

Redline Motorsports
November 29th, 2011, 10:35 AM
I'm needing to do some temperature logging shortly on a new project. I have never used the thermal couple inputs on the V2 but know I have a need. Is there a recommended probe to use and what's different with the inputs on the V2 that are different from the analog 0-5v? Using them for coolant temperature checking so temp range is in the 150-250 range.

Thanks!

Howard

GMPX
November 29th, 2011, 04:57 PM
Hi Howard,

Not all of them work, it's been a long time since we discussed this last but it was back when we first started doing the Duramax. I would suggest either a quick search through the Diesel section of the forum or a new post in the Diesel section asking for a brand that is known to work. You temp range is fine, talking DegC, the resolution is 0.25, so it's pretty accurate.

scdyne
January 23rd, 2012, 07:20 AM
Generally as long as it's rated as a K type then it shouldn't matter much. Some details to consider also would be the actual design of the TC and whether the element is exposed, grounded or ungrounded. The basic process of how a TC works is very simple in that when two dissimilar metals touch they produce an small electrical response. As the metals heat up that response changes and if the right metals are used, over specific temperature ranges, a "curve" can be fit to produce a known mV to Deg scale. The curve is in the processing chip (in FlashScan) and all the user has to do us select the correct TC type and make sure that the correct metal is located in the correct pin on FlashScan. With K type Usually the wires are Red and Yellow with Yellow being the + and Red being the -. Omega has a ton of technical information about TC's and generally good supply of inexpensive stock. I have used a number of TC's from them and never had any major issues with them working as expected in FlashScan.

joecar
January 23rd, 2012, 09:09 AM
Adam, thanks for the info.