PDA

View Full Version : Not getting maximum duration?

2006Cummins
December 19th, 2011, 07:06 PM
I have my max duration set to 3200us, and when logging the tune at wot I am only seeing 2800us. When using the highlighting tool while watching the log, it highlights 3200us. I don't see any limiters, or anything else, that could be causing max duration to come up short. Anyone care to take a look and see if you can give me a hand?

Tune:

Data log:

Mike

olboyowl
December 22nd, 2011, 02:01 AM
i dont know how to repost your file back up but i made a change to your main injection pulse. nothing big, but i think the issue was you were commanding between 2900-3200us between 150-160mpa and 2500-3200us between 120-140mm3. I by no means am a big time tuner, but i did stay at a holiday inn express last night...

2007 5.9
December 22nd, 2011, 03:30 AM
Did you disable the pulse limiter option??

Didn't look at your tune...

olboyowl
December 22nd, 2011, 04:04 AM
yeah, he disabled it

2006Cummins
December 22nd, 2011, 04:26 AM
Did you disable the pulse limiter option??
Yes, thanks.

i dont know how to repost your file back up but i made a change to your main injection pulse. nothing big, but i think the issue was you were commanding between 2900-3200us between 150-160mpa and 2500-3200us between 120-140mm3.
So, did you just change 150-160mpa, and 120-140mm ranges, to 3200us?

I by no means am a big time tuner, but i did stay at a holiday inn express last night...
Can't argue with that then. lol

Mike

olboyowl
December 22nd, 2011, 07:49 AM
kind of. are you trying to get 180mpa? i see in your sig that you have an aftermarket pump. if so, change the the 2466 and 2544 in the 120mm3 row to 3150 and 3175. leave the 3200 alone in the 140mm3 row. should do the trick. hope thats the issue.

2006Cummins
December 23rd, 2011, 07:16 AM
are you trying to get 180mpa?
No. I was trying to stay under that.

I'm making some progress. Looks like there are a couple of issues. I've got one more thing to try which I'm hoping will take care of it. I'll let you guys know.

chance cobb
January 2nd, 2012, 05:26 PM
did you get the bugs worked out ?

2006Cummins
January 2nd, 2012, 06:35 PM
Sorry it's been taking me a while to get back to this - It's been a little busy with the holidays. I set all of my limiters to efi's maximum. Now it actually reaches 145mm, which gave me another 100us. I think that it was the boost table that allowed this. Don't know why it goes to 145mm when my duration table only goes to 140mm, but that is another discussion I guess. I then lowered my pressure table to a maximum of 160mpa, which gave me an additional 200us. My actual rail pressure was a little higher than the desired, and was hitting the limiter which would pull fuel. Next I added duration to the 120mm range and have yet to data log. I am still about 200us under my commanded level, so I am curious to see what this last change will do. Thanks to everyone who has offered help - it is much appreciated. I will post more results soon.

DODGE74
January 3rd, 2012, 12:23 AM
Mike,
are you running the latest candidate 7 software?
Reason I ask is because when I switched over from the August software I was also having some issues with fuel limiters and a few other things.
I went to the dealer, got a fresh flash and now all is perfect.

TexasCummins
January 3rd, 2012, 04:04 AM
I am having phantom issues with fueling now as well with the newest release. Even after disabling all the limiters again from a clean stock file it's very hard pressed to get past 2,900rpm.

chance cobb
January 3rd, 2012, 04:32 AM
like its defueling completly at 2900 cus it seems like that too me too

TexasCummins
January 3rd, 2012, 05:19 AM
I just double checked all my fuel limitations and took the truck out for another run. Once I hit ~2,800rpm the fuel goes down and the motor won't even kiss 3,000rpm. I had no trouble running 3,500 before the update...

chance cobb
January 3rd, 2012, 05:57 AM
same here

FUBAR
January 3rd, 2012, 06:04 AM
I went to the dealer, got a fresh flash and now all is perfect.

^^^ This x2. Ross is working on fixing other people's problems. The crappy box tuner that messed your check sum routines up. People who read this need not to think of it has an in-convenience to go to the dealer for a legit update flash, but as the proper and right way of tuning your truck. You won't have to worry about any more headaches or "ghosts." It was something that was a no-brainer for me since I know what I'll be running tuning platform wise for A LONG time.

TexasCummins
January 3rd, 2012, 06:33 AM
The base tune I'm running is the one I had flashed on the truck by the dealer due to a previous tuner not fully going back to stock and throwing an internal ECM failure code. It's a clean stock tune but this new update can't seem to disable to fuel limiting around 3,000rpm even with the parameters disabled.

2006Cummins
January 3rd, 2012, 06:50 AM
Yes, I am running efi's latest release. I have my rpm limiter set at 3500rpm, and get full fuel to about 3100rpm when it starts pulling fuel slowly to 3500rpm.

I can understand that starting off with a completely stock, never been modified tune, as a base. What I don't understand is why you cant just use one of the stock tunes from someone else, and flash it yourself. Why have to go to the dealer?

DoghouseDiesel
January 3rd, 2012, 07:00 AM
You're hitting the P.I.D. limiter.

It pulls fuel as you approach your RPM limit.

One of them, either P, I or D is set to ENABLED. More than likely P.

TexasCummins
January 3rd, 2012, 11:28 AM
You're hitting the P.I.D. limiter.

It pulls fuel as you approach your RPM limit.

One of them, either P, I or D is set to ENABLED. More than likely P.

P is enabled by default on my stock tune, and I disabled it. I and D are disabled by default. I changed the rpm low and high range to 4000 and 4500. I had our mobile reflasher do a complete erase and reflash build by VIN since he was here already doing a customer vehicle, and I'll see what happens from here.

TexasCummins
January 3rd, 2012, 01:57 PM
With a real reflash on the ECM the truck drives insanely better, and this is a stock tune.

DODGE74
January 3rd, 2012, 02:40 PM
Did you just get a flash done?

TexasCummins
January 3rd, 2012, 02:50 PM
I had our mobile guy reflash it by erasing the ECM and building a new stock Dodge tune based on VIN from the Mopar site.

DODGE74
January 3rd, 2012, 03:13 PM
Oh, good. Trucks running better huh? I know mine was, like you said I was kinda amazed how well it was running just with the fresh flash from the dealer.

DoghouseDiesel
January 3rd, 2012, 03:24 PM
Brought mine in for a fresh flash yesterday and they about crapped a kitten.

I didnt tell them anything, just told them I wanted a fresh flash put on it.

About the time the hood went up, all work in the place stopped. I was in the waiting area and all I hear is, "two turbos.....nitrous......all kinds of stuff".....I had to laugh.

Service manager seemed a little concerned because there was a CEL. Yeah, that'll be okay, I'll get that.

:mrgreen:

mstordahl
January 3rd, 2012, 03:54 PM
Not exactly their normal clientelle eh Rich?!

Is this something that we all should be doing or wait for Ross to fix it in the next update?

TexasCummins
January 3rd, 2012, 03:56 PM
I'm slightly nervous to put another flash in with EFI. Have any of y'all who flashed after the dealer flashed had any issues?

DoghouseDiesel
January 3rd, 2012, 04:01 PM
If you don't have a tune that wasn't molested before you started playing with EFILive, it wouldn't be an entirely bad idea.

I wanted to make sure I didn't have any ghosts left in the machine, so I said screw it, I'll have them flash it and as soon as they pulled it out, I read the tune and then put my normal tune back on. I'll go back and re-build my tune with the completely clean file.

You don't HAVE to do his though. Ross and Paul have a fix in the works that will restore the jacked up leftovers from some of the box tuners.

So, don't panic, its not sharks in the water or anything, I did it because I also want to make sure that when I send someone else a tune, it's clean. I don't want issues with leftovers.

DoghouseDiesel
January 3rd, 2012, 04:05 PM
I'm slightly nervous to put another flash in with EFI. Have any of y'all who flashed after the dealer flashed had any issues?

You're fine.

The instant mine rolled out of their bays, I read the new flash and put mine on.

The error isn't with EFILive. What you're seeing are the leftovers from some of the box tuners jacked up return to stock sequences that incorrectly calculate or disable the checksums all together.

This is what they've had to work around.

You're fine. Just take your new flash and build your tune on that and you'll be golden.

TexasCummins
January 3rd, 2012, 04:09 PM
That's what I did, right after Rick finished flashing my truck I read and saved the file. I just don't see what caused the tune I made in EFI to have issues with itself. It's a night and day difference between how my two stock files perform - one I got from the dealer a while back which didn't feel very different, and the one from today which feels like it's more powerful than stock. My truck has never run this good since I bought it!

DODGE74
January 3rd, 2012, 04:10 PM

I was a little apprehensive too but I did it and all is good.

If you don't have a tune that wasn't molested before you started playing with EFILive, it wouldn't be an entirely bad idea.

I wanted to make sure I didn't have any ghosts left in the machine, so I said screw it, I'll have them flash it and as soon as they pulled it out, I read the tune and then put my normal tune back on. I'll go back and re-build my tune with the completely clean file.

You don't HAVE to do his though. Ross and Paul have a fix in the works that will restore the jacked up leftovers from some of the box tuners.

So, don't panic, its not sharks in the water or anything, I did it because I also want to make sure that when I send someone else a tune, it's clean. I don't want issues with leftovers.

I did exactly as you Rich, went home read the stock file, and built pretty much the same tune that I had in it before.

chance cobb
January 3rd, 2012, 04:39 PM
good too know

2006Cummins
January 3rd, 2012, 07:07 PM
So, I'm really feeling like a dork right now. Every once in a while I click on the "check for updates" button in the efilive tools folder. Well, I did this a couple of days ago and accidentally clicked on "uninstall". After reinstalling the v7.5 tool, and updating it, I no longer see the table with the p, i, and d, limiters. I swore it was under engine protection. Can someone point me in the right direction?

ScarabEpic22
January 3rd, 2012, 09:07 PM
NOOO, DO NOT USE THE CHECK FOR UPDATES!!!

EFILive has posted numerous times that this function is broken and WILL break your EFILive install. DO NOT USE it until EFILive says it is ok to use again. Im not surprised that was your problem, people have reported everything from losing calibrations to scan tool functionality to not being able to simply connect to a vehicle.

(2006Cummins, this is not an attack on you, I just want anyone and everyone reading this thread to be aware of this issue. Glad you got it sorted out!)

GMPX
January 3rd, 2012, 11:18 PM
We now have a new installer for both V7 & V8, so the auto update function will be available again soon, unfortunately it does not auto update EFILive versions prior to us changing to the new install package.

FUBAR
January 4th, 2012, 04:05 AM
I had our mobile guy reflash it by erasing the ECM and building a new stock Dodge tune based on VIN from the Mopar site.

So if I'm reading your mail right, having a flash from the dealer didn't work and you had to resort to the above method? I'm curious to know the difference..

2006Cummins
January 4th, 2012, 04:11 AM
NOOO, DO NOT USE THE CHECK FOR UPDATES!!!

EFILive has posted numerous times that this function is broken and WILL break your EFILive install. DO NOT USE it until EFILive says it is ok to use again. Im not surprised that was your problem, people have reported everything from losing calibrations to scan tool functionality to not being able to simply connect to a vehicle

I did not know that.

What do I do now?

TexasCummins
January 4th, 2012, 04:52 AM
So if I'm reading your mail right, having a flash from the dealer didn't work and you had to resort to the above method? I'm curious to know the difference..

When the dealer reflashed my truck a while back it solved my transmission problems but it didn't feel very powerful. After Rick flashed it yesterday the truck is on a stock tune but feels like it has at least an extra 40hp over stock. I wasn't there at the dealer so I don't know their process for reflashing and where they got their file from. Both files have the same OS and calibration ID...

TexasCummins
January 4th, 2012, 04:58 AM
After flashing my performance tune in I can hit 3,000rpm but I feel the fuel being limited. Does anyone have the .exe installer for the previous version of EFI? I want to try and flash my pre-update tune and see if there's a difference, something is limiting my fuel that I can't see.

TexasCummins
January 4th, 2012, 07:10 AM
Well to test my theory I took a .ctd file that I know pulls hard all the way to 3,500 and saved it as a .ctz and flashed the truck. Same parameters for both files except this was made in the previous release. The old file is not limited and the new one is, so somewhere in the new release programming it's not turning off the limiters.

skneeland
January 4th, 2012, 08:22 AM
Well to test my theory I took a .ctd file that I know pulls hard all the way to 3,500 and saved it as a .ctz and flashed the truck. Same parameters for both files except this was made in the previous release. The old file is not limited and the new one is, so somewhere in the new release programming it's not turning off the limiters.

interesting, i was having limiting issues before the release and not being able to get commanded fuel over 120mm3. with the new release on the same tune i cant get it to command over 100mm3

I was about 2 seconds away from dropping the $120 the dealer wants for a reflash to get the "ghosts" out of the machine, but since reading the last few posts i may wait a bit....

GMPX
January 4th, 2012, 09:53 AM
Guys, it doesn't make sense, we have not removed any functions or tables from the 5.9L in this release. So what used to work for you should still be working. TexasCummins, would you be willing to forward your before and after tunes to support@efilive.com . Your test procedure seems pretty robust if all you did was save the same file in a different format.

DODGE74
January 4th, 2012, 10:43 AM
I didnt have a problem hitting my commanded fuel of 145 what my problem was I was only showing 135mm3 of fuel in my main uS table.

If that makes sence.

GMPX
January 4th, 2012, 10:48 AM
Doesn't really make sense. Do you mean the mm3 axis only went up to 135?

2007 5.9
January 4th, 2012, 10:58 AM
This too is confusing me...do you mind posting a screenshot of this discrepancy??

I am a better picture person....:unsure:

ScarabEpic22
January 4th, 2012, 11:00 AM
I did not know that.

What do I do now?

Download every release and install them manually, the latest release needs to actually have ALL previous versions removed then installed on a clean slate as it uses a new installer package to try and resolve this automatic update issue. Once the new installer is tested and verified it works properly, I imagine EFILive will enable the auto update function then.

Look at Ross' post #34.

DODGE74
January 4th, 2012, 11:32 AM
Doesn't really make sense. Do you mean the mm3 axis only went up to 135?

I think so.

When I logged the run I showed 145 commanded fuel on my chart buy my Main US only showed 135 of fuel in my main duration table. It never hit the peak of 145mm3 and 160mpa in my duration table.

I hope that clearifies it.

Doesnt really matter to me now because I just recieved a dealer flash and I have no problem hitting all of my max's but I hope it helps someone else out.

Les, i must have deleted it because I cant find the log.

GMPX
January 4th, 2012, 11:56 AM
I think so.

When I logged the run I showed 145 commanded fuel on my chart buy my Main US only showed 135 of fuel in my main duration table. It never hit the peak of 145mm3 and 160mpa in my duration table.
Do you mean the link highlighting from the scantool to the tune map wasn't lining up?

DODGE74
January 4th, 2012, 12:04 PM
Yes, and in my log file in my dashboard showed the same thing.

FUBAR
January 4th, 2012, 12:18 PM

I'm confused too. So we're you trying to flash a .ctd file with the RC7 release?

I think Scarab is on to something as well. Not to say anyone in particular has done it, but it's all too often that there's something little that's overlooked like Scarab said..something technical overlooked that creates a HUGE headache. I only say this because I hope in the interest for the people having troubles, a second and third look may prove this to be the case.

TexasCummins
January 4th, 2012, 12:48 PM
Ross I'll send both files to that email.

FUBAR - I took a .ctd file I had made before the December release ({B9904}, {D2015}, {D2016} and {D2014} already disabled) and opened it in the new v7.5 Tune program to just save it as a .ctz. Next I opened the stock tune I received yesterday and edited all the parameters to match my old tune and drove the truck with both flashes. What I'm getting at is my old tune which had the pulsewidth and P.I.D. limiters disabled BEFORE the current release runs like a bat out of hell, whereas whenever I set the pulsewidth and P.I.D. limiters to disabled in the December release version of v7.5 Tune program they don't actually get disabled.

FUBAR
January 4th, 2012, 01:05 PM
It's about time somebody else is experiencing off the wall crap, I thought I was the only one that ever did! Just kidding man, hope this situation can help everybody out and thanks for taking the time to bring this to light and help fix it.

GMPX
January 4th, 2012, 01:18 PM
It's about time somebody else is experiencing off the wall crap
You know the Cummins ECM was coded by aliens.

FUBAR
January 4th, 2012, 01:30 PM
You're not allowed any time for humor Ross! You're supposed to be chained up to a desk in a confined room with a fan that half works feverishly working on decoding the Alien's encryption, cut off from all communication! No play time for you!!

All in good nature, cheers as you say! Lol

DoghouseDiesel
January 4th, 2012, 04:12 PM
You're not allowed any time for humor Ross! You're supposed to be chained up to a desk in a confined room with a fan that half works feverishly working on decoding the Alien's encryption, cut off from all communication! No play time for you!!

All in good nature, cheers as you say! Lol

NOW, BACK IN YOUR HOLE!

:mrgreen:

2006Cummins
January 4th, 2012, 06:42 PM
Unfortunately, it seems as though I am even more confused than I thought I was. As pointed out, I cant get the latest release from the check for updates button. So, where do I go to get the newest version of efi? I wasn't even aware that there was a december release...

ScarabEpic22
January 4th, 2012, 06:53 PM
Unfortunately, it seems as though I am even more confused than I thought I was. As pointed out, I cant get the latest release from the check for updates button. So, where do I go to get the newest version of efi? I wasn't even aware that there was a december release...

You HAVE to monitor the forums and check the EFILive.com Downloads section. Currently, those are your 2 options. I always click the "New Posts" button whenever I come here, it lists all the threads that have updates to them. You missed the December update here: Release-Candidate-7-Dec-22-2011 (http://forum.efilive.com/showthread.php?18000-Release-Candidate-7-Dec-22-2011)?

2006Cummins
January 4th, 2012, 07:01 PM
I always just come to this forum - didn't see the updates part. Thanks. I will see if I can get the update installation figured out.

ScarabEpic22
January 4th, 2012, 08:03 PM
I always just come to this forum - didn't see the updates part. Thanks. I will see if I can get the update installation figured out.

Gotcha, yea I used to pick and choose but usually on here there arent a million posts so the "New Posts" button is very helpful.

Remember to uninstall your existing V7.5 and V8 installations before you install the latest RC7 ones. :D

2006Cummins
January 5th, 2012, 06:02 AM
Ok, I've got the december release installed. Thanks.

The p, i, and d, limiters were all disabled, so I'm not sure why it is starting to pull fuel at about 3100rpm when my rpm limiter is set to 3500rpm.

After increasing duration at 120mm in the 140-180mpa range I am now just 31us short of the commanded 3300us. What it looks like is even though it commands 145mm, it is actual only giving my 130mm.

FUBAR
January 5th, 2012, 07:59 AM
Just curious 2006Cummins, what's D2012 set to?

2006Cummins
January 5th, 2012, 08:13 AM
3500rpm

FUBAR
January 5th, 2012, 09:31 AM
I ain't got nuttin' for you then..sorry.