PDA

View Full Version : Transmission Tuning

FUBAR
December 23rd, 2011, 11:01 AM
This thread is intended to be a general discussion on what people are doing with our new found transmission capabilities via EFILive.

So far in talking with colleagues, a close professional tuner, and my transmission builder, this is what I have experienced...

Due to the the change over in 2006 and up, where they started using TTVA "motors" shift points have been little bit more than desired to say the least. So far I've raised in the low to mid TOS (transmission output shaft rpm) a few degrees in the TTVA table. In doing so, it has raised my 1-2-3 shift points in that I can hold my gears a little longer, and it downshifts earlier rather than lugging the engine and falling on its face. I'm experiencing a little 2-3 shuttle shifting, but not enough to negate the pros of doing this.

Anybody else have any expierences they care to share?

-Andrew

2007 5.9
December 23rd, 2011, 11:39 AM
I like using the TTVA tables better than using the Gov Pressure to control shift points...and Yes a few degrees can make a big difference. Do beware though...addign too much TTVA can cause a undesirable downsift say from 3-1 if TOSS is low and throttle is high...Ive done that a few times...takes off like a bat out of hell but really hard on parts.

Enjoy!!!

I'm on my 26th tune with trans tuning...I am still figureing it all out.

icemanjc1
December 23rd, 2011, 01:43 PM

FUBAR
December 25th, 2011, 02:38 AM
Ok, so after driving around more, I ended up having to return the TTVA 0,5,46% TP% degree values back to stock, because it seemed any other values really created annoying shuttle 2-3, 3-3 shift between 1k-2k RPM, and 25-40 MPH. I have a built trans and spoke with my builder and got the ok to raise a few degrees. But the trans didn't like it. My goal is to stretch out each gear, and downshift earlier. Anybody have ideas or advice to set me on the right path of achieving my goals?

Thanks,

P.S. the values I had in the tables were, 5*, 8*, 28*, rest of them stock in the upper TOSS. Given the values I tried, I thought I was being quite conservative.

TexasCummins
December 25th, 2011, 06:13 AM
I'm so lost on adjusting the TTVA table and governor pressure table (normal). After a small adjustment to first few numbers on the TTVA table my shift points went from 15mph and 20mph to 15mph and 30mph, but the shift itself lost all firmness. I liked the points being spread out a bit more but how can I get firmness back?

skneeland
December 25th, 2011, 06:56 AM
A few months ago my transmission (DTT) started to get the 2-3-2 "shuttle" shift, or "hunting" for the proper gear. It only happens at low throttle input between 40 & 60 kph. I took it in last month and they replaced the transducer, solenoid, and the TTVA motor, they also shimmed up the TTVA motor to desensitize it.

It was slightly better after i got it back, but but the symptoms persist.

So far with the tuning, I added 5 to my TTVA angle values and added 10% to my governor pressure tables. The 2-3-2 "hunting" is alot better, it usually only does a 2-3-2 shift, then stays in 2nd now instead of shuttling back and forth continuously.

TexasCummins
December 26th, 2011, 03:31 AM
After taking a crash course in governor pressure I was able to successfully adjust my shift points to where I want them via the governor pressure (normal) and TTVA angle conversion tables.

Normal acceleration (below 2,000rpm):
1-2: 15-20
2-3: 30
3-4: 40
Lockup: 55

Moderate acceleration (above 2,000 but not in kickdown mode):
1-2: 25
2-3: 35
3-4: 45

I haven't done a complete full throttle mode test yet but it runs like a bat out of hell and the convertor locks up at 65.

EDIT: With the factory settings halfway through my 2nd gear it feels like it shifts again, then goes into 3rd. I no longer have shuttle shift after adjusting the tables.

2007 5.9
December 26th, 2011, 05:27 AM
After taking a crash course in governor pressure I was able to successfully adjust my shift points to where I want them via the governor pressure (normal) and TTVA angle conversion tables.

Normal acceleration (below 2,000rpm):
1-2: 15-20
2-3: 30
3-4: 40

Moderate acceleration (above 2,000 but not in kickdown mode):
1-2: 25

I haven't done a complete full throttle mode test yet but it runs like a bat out of hell and the convertor locks up at 65.

EDIT: With the factory settings halfway through my 2nd gear it feels like it shifts again, then goes into 3rd. I no longer have shuttle shift after adjusting the tables.

Care to share your settings for others...

TexasCummins
December 26th, 2011, 07:32 AM
Now that I'm finally on lunch break... :anitoof:

Left image is governor pressure (normal) and right is TTVA angle conversion. Like I stated above, this got rid of my 2-3 shuttle shifting and each shift is nice, firm and crisp. One thing I have noticed is that I'm not sure if the TCC is locking up while cruising in 3rd anymore, I'll have to datalog a drive since I flashed it this morning before coming to work.

I want y'all to remember that my truck has a stock transmission with the suncoast governor pressure solenoid upgrade kit, 3.73 gears and 35" tires so this may or may not work for everyone.

olboyowl
December 26th, 2011, 07:59 AM
nice work man. thanks for sharin the info also.

TexasCummins
December 26th, 2011, 12:29 PM
Did a highway test today and it feels like it loses power above 45. I'm not recommending y'all use my figures as I still need to fine tune it, but I have a sneaking suspicion my torque converter is slipping.

TexasCummins
December 26th, 2011, 01:37 PM
Update:

I set the governor pressures back to stock (with my personal shaft rpm changes based on my shift points) and adjusted the first half of the TTVA angles +2*. Cured the shuttle shift and drives good while cruising, accelerating and at WOT.

TexasCummins
December 27th, 2011, 03:03 AM
Another update to my last post.

Light acceleration (~1600rpm)
1-2: 15
2-3: 27
3-4: 38

Moderate acceleration (~2100rpm)
1-2: 20

No WOT numbers yet.

FUBAR
December 27th, 2011, 03:27 AM
Here's something to add on to my experience:

I had to revert back to stock TTVA settings to keep from shuttle shifting so much. I however seem to have success with dropping the kickdown mode from 80% to 70%, and full throttle mode from 95% to 85%, and full throttle shift from 3050 RPM to 3100 RPM. The difference I experienced in doing so was it seemed like the transmission was prepared earlier in advance to the power WOT that was about to commence giving a more BAM, right now feeling. Still playing with it...

jrmega
January 1st, 2012, 02:07 PM
Will the EFI diagnose items like a bad governor pressure solenoid? I'm leaning towards the Autocal, and wondering if it gathers data that would indicate such items?
thanks!

jrmega
January 3rd, 2012, 09:11 AM
I've read a post that involved checking flow rates of injectors, so I guess it can help diagnose a part (injector, gp solenoid, etc) that's not functioning correctly-therefore in need of replacement.

FUBAR
January 3rd, 2012, 11:51 AM
As far as the injector balance rates, it's debatable. Looking at the difference in rates seeing which one is flowing more or less of course. I would still prefer the kill test. And bump for ya on the gov pressure question.

2007 5.9
January 3rd, 2012, 12:28 PM
I just helped a guy diag a bad gov pressure...while only using EFI.

So yes it can help.

flat_lander
January 31st, 2012, 05:50 PM
What's the low range setting signify for all of the various trans settings? Initially I was thinking it was when you move the gear selector from D, but if that's the case, how do you accomplish 4th gear low range?

icemanjc1
January 31st, 2012, 07:48 PM
What's the low range setting signify for all of the various trans settings? Initially I was thinking it was when you move the gear selector from D, but if that's the case, how do you accomplish 4th gear low range?

4wd Low........

flat_lander
February 1st, 2012, 05:10 PM
sometimes the answer is so obvious, you talk yourself out of it. :-) Thanks!

chance cobb
February 5th, 2012, 07:01 PM
any new updates i am about to start playing around with my trans soon. any help would be appreciated on where to start first thanks

FUBAR
February 6th, 2012, 02:15 AM
TTVA by small increments. And some of the parameters such as full throttle shift, kickdown, etc.

2007 5.9
February 6th, 2012, 02:40 AM
As FUBAR said...TTVA and kickdown, full throttle etc.

Most of the rest seem to be valvebody dependant. Try to change something and test to see if it works as desired.

Small change..test...small change...test...circle of life.

chance cobb
February 8th, 2012, 05:50 PM
thanks guys

TexasCummins
February 9th, 2012, 01:03 PM
I made some small changes to the TTVA degrees table and it completely changed the way the truck accelerates. I noticed less smoke off the line during normal stop-and-go situations too. I will continue to tweak it and see if I can get back out to the track soon.

noff
March 15th, 2012, 02:10 PM
I was having problems with the flare shifting 3rd and gear hunting 1-2-1. tried few different things trying to fix it, only one tp really help was i rasied my normal gov pressure up 10% , also it spreaded out shift points.

up@12
November 18th, 2012, 04:39 AM
The shift from 3rd to4th always seems to hold on when driving in town, light throttle. If I get off the skinny peddle just a bit it will shift or get on it a little more but if I stay constant it just seems to hold for 3-4 sec and then shifts. Any ideas

up@12
November 20th, 2012, 12:43 AM
Sorry, I should have also added I have tried increasing govern pressure by 5% across the board, Kickdown and I adjusted TTVA in the 5% range from 3 to 5. Now one thing I was thinking is maybe there is too much govern pressure in that area?