PDA

View Full Version : Ready to buy: Hold out for v2

BLASTER
January 22nd, 2006, 09:47 AM
I am ready to take the plunge and purchase the commercial version but I was wondering if I should hold out for the new FLASHSCAN interface v2 or just get v1 now?

The increase in the number of external inputs is the real factor in making me wait.

Any suggestions?

TAQuickness
February 4th, 2006, 10:00 AM
If you need the added functionality of V2, I'd hold off. The V1 interface fully supports my needs, but I'll be one of the first in line when V2 hits the shelves.

Rich Z
March 7th, 2006, 10:44 AM
I'm not sure I am reading the upgrade policy correctly. The way I read it, if I buy the Personal or Commercial version 1.7 now, I pay the full price and then when v2 is released, have to pay an additional $299 or so for the upgrade? Is that correct?

joecar
March 7th, 2006, 10:52 AM
I would pm Blacky or wait4me about this.

wait4me
March 8th, 2006, 04:23 PM
I'm not sure I am reading the upgrade policy correctly. The way I read it, if I buy the Personal or Commercial version 1.7 now, I pay the full price and then when v2 is released, have to pay an additional $299 or so for the upgrade? Is that correct?

Yes, that is correct. Which is a very very awsome deal. That Version 2 hardware is in my opinion is a 1500.00 tuning cable. All the features it has and its abilitys it will have are just simply amazing. No other words can describe it. Then, they go and sell it for $299. That is just crazy?
I would have GLADLY spent and upgrade fee of $1500.00 for this kind of thing when it comes out. It is more than worth that. :notacrook:

Rich Z
March 8th, 2006, 05:08 PM
Well I am sure I am just reading this wrong, then...

FlashScan V2 Licensing and Pricing

FlashScan V2 is orders of magnitude more sophisticated than FlashScan V1.2, and it packs a whole lot of new and improved features into a compact package. Because EFILive is committed to providing quality tools at reasonable prices, we have retained the retail price of the Personal and Commercial versions. The Workshop licensing schemes have been changed so that in some cases the price has actually decreased.

The current Personal and Commercial licensing schemes will be retained.

Customers may upgrade any Personal or Commercial license from FlashScan V1.2 to FlashScan V2.0 for $399*. All PCM licenses will be transferred from your FlashScan V1.2 interface to the new FlashScan V2 interface. You must return your existing FlashScan V1.2 interface to EFILive to be eligible for the FlashScan V2 upgrade price.

I'm thinking it means that if I wait until v2 is released, I would be able to buy it at the same price I would now have to pay for v1.2 now. However, if I bought v1.2 NOW, I would have to pay $399 additionally for the v2 upgrade. Surely that must be wrong. Such a policy would likely just KILL sales right now with the v2 release imminent.....

So what am I reading wrong into this? :nixweiss: Maybe it's something to do with the difference between v1.2 and v1.7 and the $299 and $399 price difference? Beats the heck out of me. I'm just not really much in a hurry to buy a tuner product, so as long as there is some doubt in my mind about what is going on, I will just wait for the dust to settle......

Black02SS
March 8th, 2006, 05:12 PM
Well I am sure I am just reading this wrong, then...

I'm thinking it means that if I wait until v2 is released, I would be able to buy it at the same price I would now have to pay for v1.2 now. However, if I bought v1.2 NOW, I would have to pay $399 additionally for the v2 upgrade. Surely that must be wrong. Such a policy would likely just KILL sales right now with the v2 release imminent.....

So what am I reading wrong into this? :nixweiss: Maybe it's something to do with the difference between v1.2 and v1.7 and the $299 and $399 price difference? Beats the heck out of me. I'm just not really much in a hurry to buy a tuner product, so as long as there is some doubt in my mind about what is going on, I will just wait for the dust to settle......
As far as I know, the pricing for the V2 interface is going to be the same if not very close to the curent prices.

joecar
March 8th, 2006, 08:05 PM
I think Rich means which one should he do:
a. buy V1.2 now and pay $299 to upgrade to V2, or
b. wait until V2 comes out.

I think V2 won't be too far off, if you're not in a hurry I would wait.

Rich Z
March 9th, 2006, 07:35 PM
I think Rich means which one should he do:
a. buy V1.2 now and pay $299 to upgrade to V2, or
b. wait until V2 comes out.

I think V2 won't be too far off, if you're not in a hurry I would wait.

Yeah, pretty much what I am thinking. Many companies in this predicament will sell the older version with a free upgrade when the newer one hits the shelves. Otherwise, sales generally take a nose dive with many potential customers holding off the purchase till the new version is ready.

But I guess there is the possibility of pissing off SOMEONE, no matter where you draw the line for the free upgrade, so perhaps they are just biting the bullet and taking the loss in present sales instead. I can see where that may be the better move in some cases. Bitter pill, though.....

joecar
March 10th, 2006, 03:08 AM
I don't know how the line is drawn, but you're right there are both sides.

V2 will be worth the wait, even if you thought you had no need to tune, once you have it you'll be wondering how you did without;

it's like having tools in your toolbox, or food in your fridge, or gas in your tank.

Regards
Joe

Blacky
March 10th, 2006, 08:33 AM
When V2 is released V3 will be "in the works" (then V4 and so on), so one could keep waiting for ever for the next best thing. If you need to tune your vehicle now, jump in and get it.

It's like buying a computer, new models are released every other week, you have to jump in at some stage. I spent about 4 years "waiting" for the next big thing. Each time I was ready to buy, a newer better model was announced, so I'd wait. Eventually I had to just buy what was available. I'd say I've "upgraded" computers at least 10 times in the last 5 years. No shop has ever cut me an upgrade deal on a new model - let alone given me a free one because a new model was about to be released.

While we'd love to do that sort of a deal, we'd go out of business pretty fast and that would be worse, because then there would be no more updates, ever.

Regards
Paul

Rich Z
April 12th, 2006, 05:34 PM
Yeah, I know this is a tough call and I can certainly see your point. I'm getting headers installed on my Z06 this week and I am going to see how the car runs and whether or not I can wait for V2 to be released. I guess it depends if I get codes thrown or not. If not, then there is no rush and I figure it will be running "good enough" for now. Heck, I'm a complete newbie at this, so the longer I wait, the better off I will be when I actually put my hands on the controls.....

But I'm planning on baby steps to start off, for sure.