PDA

View Full Version : Transmission Problems?

snooz
January 23rd, 2006, 03:38 AM
I wanted to ask you guys who have been running the tun for awhile if there have been any transmissions problems specifically with the Allison? I tow a 16,000lb trailer and 11,000lb bulldozer and want to get feedback whether or not I should be concerned running a 100hp tun all the time? There are times when I will be towing and going up a hill and I have the gas pedal on the floor trying to make it up. Just want to make sure the tranny can take the extra power?

Thanks,
Cliff

lakingslayer
January 23rd, 2006, 03:54 AM
Is your trans stock? I wouldn't run the 100hp tune even if you aren't towing if the trans is stock. If you do you will degrade the holding ability of the trans. It is not recommended to tow with 100hp even with a built trans due to EGT issues mainly and built trans have their limits too.

snooz
January 23rd, 2006, 04:06 AM
Is your trans stock? I wouldn't run the 100hp tune even if you aren't towing if the trans is stock. If you do you will degrade the holding ability of the trans. It is not recommended to tow with 100hp even with a built trans due to EGT issues mainly and built trans have their limits too.

Yep the trans is stock. So what is the most a stock trans can take? 50hp? or none?

lakingslayer
January 23rd, 2006, 04:35 AM
You'll be safe with about 65hp. Towing you may want to drop that to 40 max due to the EGT's and extra stress on the Trans. The extra power driving the trans and the extra weight pulling against you creates more stress on the trans/drivetrain than just running unloaded.

snooz
January 23rd, 2006, 05:26 AM
You'll be safe with about 65hp. Towing you may want to drop that to 40 max due to the EGT's and extra stress on the Trans. The extra power driving the trans and the extra weight pulling against you creates more stress on the trans/drivetrain than just running unloaded.

Cool thanks for the help. In my opinion it is just not worth the risk since I am using it to tow some heavy stuff.

Kennedy Diesel
January 23rd, 2006, 07:30 AM
What it will hold will vary with slightly from vehicle to vehicle with variances in engine's responsiveness and transmission's capabilities along with ambient conditions, driving style etc.

The HP isn't necesarily what hurts the Allison, it's the huge gain in TQ at lower RPM's.

hdmax
January 26th, 2006, 07:08 AM
You are being very careful with those numbers.
I tow 10,000# on the 90 hp setting and drive with 110 or 135 (Dyno`ed closer to 130, and 150!) and after nearly 80,000 miles, it is still holding together. I can run the pi$$ out of it all day long on the 110, and it will not limp. (No two trucks will act the same, but any LB7 should easily handle 100+ on a stock tranny!) You may not get all the power to the ground like you would with a built tranny, but it should last for a long time.

lakingslayer
January 26th, 2006, 07:56 AM
(No two trucks will act the same, but any LB7 should easily handle 100+ on a stock tranny!) You may not get all the power to the ground like you would with a built tranny, but it should last for a long time.

Should is the key word here. Some will hold longer than others. The numbers I gave just make the stock trans last longer than if you ran higher hp/tq.

snooz
January 26th, 2006, 09:58 AM
Jesse's 100hp tun and my transmission don't like each other it just keeps limping and acting up.

Redline Motorsports
February 9th, 2006, 04:42 PM
65 is absolutely perfect for all around towing, power and economy. The 100 is right on the edge of limping under hard low speed loads. I have a 100 in right now and limped it once in the last 1200 miles. Its been good even under some hard loads so far. I am not too concerned since I am putting in a beefed up tranny in a couple months.

The 100 feels real good!

lakingslayer
February 10th, 2006, 02:55 AM
I don't think his trans will hold up to a 65hp tune towing heavy after he's limped it multiple times.

Like Kennedy said TQ is the monster here. Maybe we should start talking in terms of TQ vs HP when it comes to the trans.

Redline Motorsports
February 10th, 2006, 02:58 AM
I and several other people I know have towed with the 65 all day long. On a 65 tune my truck dynoed the numbers in my sig.

I think its a good all around power level. The problem comes in when you have a high mileage abused tranny that may already be in a weaker state. My truck was BN when I started bumping up the power and it has been fine.

Kennedy Diesel
February 12th, 2006, 03:41 AM
You are being very careful with those numbers.
I tow 10,000# on the 90 hp setting and drive with 110 or 135 (Dyno`ed closer to 130, and 150!) and after nearly 80,000 miles, it is still holding together. I can run the pi$$ out of it all day long on the 110, and it will not limp. (No two trucks will act the same, but any LB7 should easily handle 100+ on a stock tranny!) You may not get all the power to the ground like you would with a built tranny, but it should last for a long time.

It's not the HP it's the TQ down low. You just don't have it or you'd be limping it...

bobo
February 12th, 2006, 04:08 AM
65 is absolutely perfect for all around towing, power and economy. The 100 is right on the edge of limping under hard low speed loads. I have a 100 in right now and limped it once in the last 1200 miles. Its been good even under some hard loads so far. I am not too concerned since I am putting in a beefed up tranny in a couple months.

The 100 feels real good!

The 200 feels better!

02gmcwaldoch
February 13th, 2006, 02:44 PM
do you wanna send me that 200hp tune??:master:

JESSE

Wasted Income
February 14th, 2006, 04:25 AM
do you wanna send me that 200hp tune??:master:

JESSE

Dude, quit begging and make your own. Start logging and start playing with the fueling and timing, and you'll come up with something that you made yourself.

You might have been better off with a Predator or a VA box or something.

02gmcwaldoch
February 14th, 2006, 01:25 PM
well maybe if some of the people that knew what they were doing would answer my questions...maybe i could play somemore....but until then i'm stuck!!

JESSE

lakingslayer
February 14th, 2006, 01:56 PM
well maybe if some of the people that knew what they were doing would answer my questions...maybe i could play somemore....but until then i'm stuck!!

JESSE

You mean this question?

Which table would I modify if the barometric pressure were at 11.6? How would i modify the table just increase it across the board or just in certain RPM's? How high can i go on the #'s?

Use the logging feature on the scan tool and do minor adjustments to your tuning file. You can see what your boost is by the log and find out which table your truck is running on. If you want to play with boost I highly suggest a real mechanical boost guage and not the Attitude monitor. Don't go any higher than 29psi.

Wasted Income
February 14th, 2006, 03:42 PM
If you want to play with boost I highly suggest a real mechanical boost guage and not the Attitude monitor. Don't go any higher than 29psi.
:exactly:

Waldoch, play with B0720, B0721, The timing tables, B1101, and the rev limiter. You don't need to play with the boost at all to make 100hp more than stock.

lakingslayer
February 14th, 2006, 05:51 PM
:exactly:

Waldoch, play with B0720, B0721, The timing tables, B1101, and the rev limiter. You don't need to play with the boost at all to make 100hp more than stock.
:exactly: Boost will just clean it up a bit and help lower EGT's but isn't completely necessary. Predator 2.0 doesn't change boost at all in their tunes. They did exactly what Wasted said.

02gmcwaldoch
February 16th, 2006, 12:03 PM
If I have a PPE boost controller do I even need to play with boost? What is the Turbo Vane Target Position table and what does it do? I am at like 30psi on the boost now!

JESSE

lakingslayer
February 16th, 2006, 12:31 PM
If you like the boost controller then don't touch the boost tables. More than 29psi boost give little gains. I'm not sure how much you can get out of the turbo vane position tables. I've logged them and still am having a hard time figuring out if there is a way to change them to help with boost. You can play with the Desired Boost level tables but I don't recommend doing that with the PPE controller.

Kennedy Diesel
February 16th, 2006, 01:50 PM
Boost is the tricky one. What you might think work doesn't necessarily work.

As for transmission, it's up to you what you rn, but if you bring the TQ up too high it will slip. I have done a 100HP tune that I believe will work with the stock trans, but it's getting pretty close to the line.

02gmcwaldoch
February 16th, 2006, 05:00 PM
when i run with my edge on 5 and the programmer on the highest setting it will slip...but thats what a warranty is for right?:muahaha:

What should the desired table look like? What should i set it to?

JESSE

02gmcwaldoch
February 16th, 2006, 05:04 PM
I would rather take the boost controler off. When I have the boost controler turned all the way up it feels slower off the line...but if i gradually turn it up as i race it seems to work good. But in reality i could tune that all into my tune and get rid of the contoller, right?

JESSE

lakingslayer
February 16th, 2006, 05:39 PM
Log some of your trips and study what the boost does and then change the tables a little bit at a time. The boost is very dependent on the fuel input. We could give you boost tables but they may not work for your tune and you'd be where you are now. This product takes a lot of patience and studying. I've had and have been playing with it for almost 2 months and have the first tune I actually like but it still needs work.

Yes you can get rid of the controller but it may take you a while to get what you like out of the program. I'm finally getting comfortable enough with mine to remove the boost stick.

a78turbo
February 18th, 2006, 05:58 AM
I have set vane position to 99 from 800 to 1600 and 20mm to 60mm have had excellent low end spool-up, throttle response. Closing the vanes like that turns it into somewhat of a "normal" turbo at low end. However after that, it is better to just adjust desired boost tables. Also you can set vane position to 0 at idle to help spool-down of turbo before shut-off. If the desired boost tables set codes, then bump up the desired vane tables by about 5% overall. Also will have to adjust min and max tables accordingly.

02gmcwaldoch
February 18th, 2006, 06:30 AM
what do you guys have your min and max set to? does the unit inHG mean the same as boost psi? also would the barametric pressure of 11.6 up here do anything differant to which tables I use?

JESSE

a78turbo
February 18th, 2006, 06:44 AM
You would most likely use Table {B2202} Boost Control (Baro Map B). That is about right for your altitude. Also
- {B2205} Desired Boost Levels With EGR Off (B)
- {B2208} Desired Boost Levels With EGR On (B)
- {B2212} Turbo Vane Target Position, EGR Off (B)
- {B2213} Turbo Vane Target Position, EGR On (B)
- {B2223} Turbo Vane Target Position Maximum (B)
- {B2225} Turbo Vane Target Position Minimum

Would suggest that you have a mechanical gauge before setting these too high, as some, including me, have seen pressures as high as 50psi boost. :badidea:

02gmcwaldoch
February 18th, 2006, 07:23 AM
thanks guys i appreciate it!! Anyone wanna look at my tune before I try it to see if i screwed anything up?

JESSE

a78turbo
February 18th, 2006, 04:30 PM
Send it to me, I will try anything once. Will take a look at it for you and see what it is like.:wtf1: :grd:

02gmcwaldoch
February 18th, 2006, 07:24 PM
whats ur email address??

JESSE

a78turbo
February 19th, 2006, 04:30 AM
PM sent. Send me what you think is good. Will take a look.