PDA

View Full Version : Went to the dyno today.

DODGE74
December 31st, 2011, 12:46 PM
I was having some ghosts in my ecm and from what I was told it was from having other programmers on the truck. So yesterday I went to the local Dodge Dealer and had a fresh flash put into my ecm. They only charged me 55.00 and the truck was a hit amongst the tech's.

So today I met up with Eric at Innovative Diesel and put it on his dyno.
We made a couple of base line runs to see where we were at and it put down 473 and 477hp. I was a bit shocked to say the least but after he looked at my timing table he wanted me to add some timing to it.
On run 3 I added 5* to the entire table and we made another run and it did 478hp but after looking at the log I forgot to copy all of the tables to the 5* bump.
On the 4th run it was with 5* across the board and it did 509hp. I was excited to see such a nice bump so we decided to add another 5* across the board and on the 5th run it made 533hp.
On the 6th run we decided to go up only 3* in the timing and it did
536 but carried out the run much longer so we were pretty happy with that.
On the 7th run I wanted to pull some fuel out of it just to make sure that I wasnt commanding to much and we lost hp.
On the 8th run I put the main pulse width back in it and brought up the rail pressure up in the mid range but did not increase max pressure and it did 551hp.
And on the last run I brought a little more RP in it but did not increase max and it did 560hp.
We ran out of time but I feel pretty comfortable where I'm at with the tuning and both Eric and I feel there is over 600hp in it on stock nozzles but we just ran out of time today.

Let me know what you guys think.

http://i288.photobucket.com/albums/ll172/gwlapw/12-31-11274.jpg

olboyowl
December 31st, 2011, 01:21 PM
curves look pretty smooth. good numbers for sure. i thought u had 90's at one point? did u pull the 3* back out of it after the 6th run when it only went up 3hp? how was the smoke control and egts? sorry for all the questions. just like seeing thses kind of results! congrats again

DODGE74
December 31st, 2011, 04:08 PM
Thanks Denny.

I did have 90's a while back but after a couple of injector failures I removed them and went back to stock.

No, I left that 3* in there and pulled up the timing around the total and if you can make it out on the graph you can see that it pulled the hp out longer in that run than compared to the runs before it.

I have it set up so my limiters are keeping the fueling down below 1800 rpms and 10#'s of boost so I dont have hardly any smoke and it drives just like stock. The egts are super cool, I'm actually a little worried that they are to cool and not able to get high enough to burn off any carbon that might build up in the cylinder.

We only spent about 2 hours on the dyno and when we get some free time I'll get it back on there and see if I can pull some more power out of it.

olboyowl
January 1st, 2012, 12:39 AM
good deal man :thumb_yello:

mstordahl
January 1st, 2012, 05:29 AM
What did your maximum timing end up being? Seems like adding 13 degrees would put it pretty high. Graph looks good and good numbers!

DODGE74
January 1st, 2012, 06:35 AM
Trust me, I started off real low.

My max ended up being at 23*

dansdieselp
January 1st, 2012, 07:25 AM
Looks good. What turbo you running?

Dmaxink
January 1st, 2012, 07:26 AM
Max fueling being 3000uS+ I assume? Man 23 seems super low just my .02....I would say if your fuel shot on stock injectors was around maxed out you would need at least 27*....cool to see the power made at lower numbers.

DODGE74
January 1st, 2012, 07:40 AM
Looks good. What turbo you running?

Thanks, I'm running the Super B Special 64.5/71/14

Max fueling being 3000uS+ I assume? Man 23 seems super low just my .02....I would say if your fuel shot on stock injectors was around maxed out you would need at least 27*....cool to see the power made at lower numbers.

Thanks Kory

Yes, its a little over 3000.

Your right, Rich and I have been talking and he suggested that my timing need some changes and that I left a good bit on the table.

2007 5.9
January 1st, 2012, 07:51 AM
Yeah my test truck with stock injectors made max power with a 3100 pulse and 27*

FUBAR
January 1st, 2012, 08:12 AM
^^^^^ he ain't kidding!!

Dmaxink
January 1st, 2012, 08:18 AM
Yeah man, you have plenty on the table. Enough for granny, pops, and scraps for the dog!:D

FUBAR
January 1st, 2012, 08:34 AM
Why did I just get a picture in my head of when Dr. Doolittle and his family is sitting all around the table and they commence to have a...contest of sorts...I swear Kory, there's a standup comedy job out there for you somewhere!!

mstordahl
January 1st, 2012, 09:02 AM
Wow, you didstart off conservative! Awesome numbers though, and its obvious that the special is a sweet charger for your setup.

Imagine what you could get with your 90s back!

DODGE74
January 1st, 2012, 12:22 PM
Yeah man, you have plenty on the table. Enough for granny, pops, and scraps for the dog!:D

I hope so. I almost beat my previous best with the box tuner, within 3 hp so at least I was happy to get so close and knowing that there is still more in it.

Wow, you didstart off conservative! Awesome numbers though, and its obvious that the special is a sweet charger for your setup.

Imagine what you could get with your 90s back!

The reason I started off with the timing so low was because after the candidate 7 reliese I was having some major issues with my truck.

I had a mean lope at idle, rail hang under normal acceleration, I wasnt hitting my max main us and I was having some rattling issues.
So I kept backing the timing way down to get rid of it and thats why I started off so low.

I absolutely love this trubo. I started off with a 62 a few years ago and it ran out of cooling real quick then I ended up trading the 62 for the Special because the guy was going twins.
I made out real good.
90's are coming, I'm starting to have the tell tale signs of some injector failures again. So once it gets to the point where I cant start the truck anymore I'm going to get them.

mstordahl
January 1st, 2012, 12:53 PM
What was your best with your smarty previously? Still, 560 with stock sticks and a turbo with more left in it is awesome. Nice to hear that it is running nice and cool at that level, mine is effin hot with the stock turbo still!

I am going to hit a local dyno soon for some tuning time to get mine dialed in, but with the stock turbo i dont think that there is much more in it.

Time for me to upgrade to a 64 i guess.

DODGE74
January 1st, 2012, 01:05 PM
I did 563/1063 with the Smarty TNT R file just this past October.

Oh, I'm sure yours is hot, mine was hot with that 62 and just tuning.

I would think you could hit 500-525 prett easily with the stocker and heavy tuning but I dont think that you would want to tow anything.

chance cobb
January 1st, 2012, 05:31 PM
cool

olboyowl
January 2nd, 2012, 04:58 AM
it aint no thing to hit 1500-1550* around 110-115mph with mine... i just don't like the idea of goin to much hotter then that. u see guys hitting well over that. just don't feel safe.

2007 5.9
January 2nd, 2012, 05:50 AM
Reason being that, the 9cm housing is a major choke point at the 450hp level, so those who are over the 450hp mark are in reality creating a headache for yourselves...as you get close to 2700-3000rpm at 38-40 psi boost, your drive pressure is almost if not passing a 2:1 ratio.

So with the massive amount of exhaust backing up in the manifold it makes the egt situation worse.

olboyowl
January 2nd, 2012, 11:26 AM
ive got it set up to see no more then 35psi to keep the drive pressure as close as possible to 1:1

2007 5.9
January 2nd, 2012, 11:35 AM
ive got it set up to see no more then 35psi to keep the drive pressure as close as possible to 1:1

Even at 35psi, over 2800rpms your drive is higher than boost.

someguy
January 2nd, 2012, 05:08 PM
I'd love to see your timing table. Just saying.

How clean does it run at your power levels ?

DODGE74
January 3rd, 2012, 12:17 AM
It runs fairly clean.

Trust me, your timing is probably way better mine.

chance cobb
January 6th, 2012, 05:47 AM
Nice numbers

DODGE74
January 7th, 2012, 01:02 PM
Nice numbers

Thank you.

I'll have it back on the dyno here soon and see if I cant hit that magic 600 on stock nozzles.:mrgreen:

DODGE74
July 24th, 2012, 11:58 AM
Bringing this one back up.

I never was able to break 600 on stock nozzles because i had an injector go bad on me but, it is what it is.

I have since changed my setup a little, I installed a billet 66/71/14, Exergy 80% over injectors with Bosch motorsport SAC nozzles, Hamilton springs and pushrods.

I went to a dyno event over the weekend and put it on the rollers again and to my suprise it put down 698hp and 1270ft lbs of tq.

I didnt get a chance to look over my logs until last night and come to find out, my pump was struggling to even make 21k of rp.

I didnt put a whole lot of fuel in it because of how small this charger is and it will bury the EGT gauge in a second or two of hammering on it. So it definately needs WAY more air.

Here is a vid a friend took for me. Let me know what you guys think.

http://i288.photobucket.com/albums/ll172/gwlapw/th_VideoJul22110116AM.jpg (http://s288.photobucket.com/albums/ll172/gwlapw/?action=view&current=VideoJul22110116AM.mp4)

Here is the dyno sheet. It dropped some power after the first run and I think its because the operator hot lapped it. He never even stopped the dyno between runs.

http://i288.photobucket.com/albums/ll172/gwlapw/PhotoJul2381711PM.jpg

AH64ID
August 1st, 2012, 08:59 AM
Nice numbers!

Even at 35psi, over 2800rpms your drive is higher than boost.

Older post,

Are you guys finding less drive pressure with a good tune than a stock or Smarty tune?

The only, and I mean only, time my boost was higher than drive was from 1000-1300 rpms. After that drive was always higher than drive. 1.5:1 cruising, 1.8-2.0:! towing, even at 2200. I would get 8 psi of boost at 80 and 13-15 of drive. Pulling hills at 2200 would be 25-30 psi of boost and 40-50 psi of drive. Accelerating above 2700 would go to 55-60 psi of drive by 30 psi. It was one of the main reasons I got rid of the HE351, now I run .7-.8:1 towing. Cruise is about 1:1, hard to tell as cruise boost is 2-5 and the boost/drive gauges are a different scale.

RyeThomas
August 12th, 2012, 08:13 AM
Very nice Gordon! Les just sent me my TEST tune. Wow I am impressed I dont know what took me so long to make the switch.