PDA

View Full Version : Trans data logging today

dsltnr
January 6th, 2012, 04:26 PM
Hello all. Doing a little data logging today and just trying to learn the trans. See below for what I started out with and what I was viewing. Disregard the fuel stuff in upper right. It was available so I took a peak at it.

CURRENT GEAR
I wanted to create a gauge for "Current Gear" to show what gear I am in while monitoring these other parameters for future playback reference. However, I could create the actual gauge but when I tried to choose the pid from the drop down menu, there was no option for showing what gear you are in. This is in the dashboard section when you right click and select "add new gauge" and then you select what you want that gauge to monitor.

However, I would jump back over to the PIDS tab to look at the PIDS I had selected and it would be there as "CURRENT GEAR" "CM.GEAR"
So you can select it in the PID section but it does not show up in the gauge section. Any suggestions on this?

TRANS PRESSURE SOLENOID PWM %
I am assuming this shows when the TQ converter is locked via pulse width modulation %. If so, a few things have me puzzled. First, sitting at idle of course tq conv is unlocked and the gauge shows the value of 40. As you start driving the number goes from 40 and starts dropping in value until eventually going to a value of 1 when the tq converter is locked. So when the number is at 40 it is completely unlocked and 1 is locked and anything in between is a partial lock situation.

Have I got my values messed up in the gauge setup? This is showing tq converter lock up is it not? If this is showing tq conv lockup why would the PWM not start at 0 and go to 100% to show 100% lockup? Also, why did it start at a value of 40 and when locked up it would stop at 1, why not zero? What does the value of 40 represent? I have checked gauge values and it looks correct...?

1 TO 1 RATIO
The output shaft rpms matched up to the engine rpms is as I expected. Locking out OD and going to 3rd gear gives the 1:1 ratio needed for dyno runs.

TRANS PRESSURE COMMANDED AND ACTUAL PSI
Noticed as soon as TQ converter locked the commanded pressure would go to 127 but the actual pressure did not match. The pressure (cmnded vs actual) stayed identical while unlocked but when the TQ locked up the commanded would jump directly to 127 BUT the actual pressure would be lower and come up slowly the further you went in throttle and it would max out at only 100 and would not go any further than 100 but the commanded was 127. Again, is this my error somewhere in the gauge setup but I checked and saw the same results in the DATA tab so this should take the gauge out of the equation, would it not.

Thanks guys, just wanted to throw some things out there and see what others have seen.

DoghouseDiesel
January 6th, 2012, 05:15 PM
1 - Not sure why you're not seeing the Current Gear, I know it shows up fine on mine.

2 - There is no "partial lock situation" with a torque converter. Either the piston is applied or it's not, there is no in between. The TC is not locked by pulse width modulation, it's simply the TCC solenoid being energized and this maxes out the governor pressure.

3 - I'm not sure what you're looking at for pulsewidth modulation, unless you're looking at the governor solenoid duty cycle, which is pretty irrelevant to what you're trying to see.

4 - You don't want 1:1 for the dyno, you want OD with TC locked.

5 - The reason you see the pressure stop at 100 but the commanded pressure is at 127 is that is simply as high as that sensor can see. As long as that value is over 95 in a TCC lock-up condition, it's fine.

dsltnr
January 8th, 2012, 04:27 AM
1 - Not sure why you're not seeing the Current Gear, I know it shows up fine on mine.

2 - There is no "partial lock situation" with a torque converter. Either the piston is applied or it's not, there is no in between. The TC is not locked by pulse width modulation, it's simply the TCC solenoid being energized and this maxes out the governor pressure.

3 - I'm not sure what you're looking at for pulsewidth modulation, unless you're looking at the governor solenoid duty cycle, which is pretty irrelevant to what you're trying to see.

4 - You don't want 1:1 for the dyno, you want OD with TC locked.

5 - The reason you see the pressure stop at 100 but the commanded pressure is at 127 is that is simply as high as that sensor can see. As long as that value is over 95 in a TCC lock-up condition, it's fine.

Thank you for the reply. I appreciate the clarification.

1. I still cannot get the current gear to show. I will keep looking. I have to be missing something.

2. I am used to another vehicle that uses PWM to lock the torque converter so I guess I made assumptions before I should. Based on what you listed this must be an ON/OFF situation. Thanks

4. Is this a blanket statement regardless of the dyno you are using? For example, would you not want a 1:1 on a load dyno like Mustang or Superflow. I can understand not wanting a 1:1 ratio and going to OD with a Dynojet, inertia dyno. Just asking.

DoghouseDiesel
January 8th, 2012, 10:12 AM
On any dyno.

You want the highest load on the motor.

If I put mine on the dyno in 3rd, even with 100% brake load which is enough to stall a 600 hp truck, I blow right through it before it even comes up on boost. Running in 3rd usually yields a little over 600 hp with mine.

It blows right through and I'll see MAYBE 40 - 45 psi of boost.

dsltnr
January 8th, 2012, 03:46 PM
Thanks again. I understand what you are saying.

FWIW, I found what I was doing wrong with gear selection on the dashpage. I was trying to select "gauge" and you cannot do that for "CURRENT GEAR" pid. You need to select "STATUS".

I was not paying attention to that.

The only issue now is when I am recording my datalogs, it freezes up and then works and then freezes and works and so on. This only happens when I select RECORD, it does not happen when I select MONITOR to only watch the datalogs, it only happens during RECORDING.

Not sure if there is a "refresh rate" or something like that.

Thanks for your replies and help.

DoghouseDiesel
January 8th, 2012, 06:35 PM
What I do is always select monitor(yellow button).

It give you two options to save when you stop logging and it's never caused and issue.

You have to remember, the more PID's that you have selected, the slower the refresh rate will be.

Minimize the PID's to what you're actively trying to see and you'll get a better frame rate.