PDA

View Full Version : Cal-Flash

2006Cummins
January 18th, 2012, 06:47 AM
Are we able to use the cal-flash option yet? I assume it will be a faster way of flashing?

Mike

AFTERMATH DIESEL
January 18th, 2012, 08:18 AM
I don't believe it's going to be an option on cummins ecm's. I'm sure Ross will chime in but Im pretty sure it's out of efilive's control.

2007 5.9
January 18th, 2012, 08:20 AM
Cummins ECM requires a full flash...Ross explained it in beta that we would not be able to cal flash the cummins controller due to the flashing protocols, I believe.

GMPX
January 18th, 2012, 11:10 AM
Are we able to use the cal-flash option yet? I assume it will be a faster way of flashing?
The replies above are correct, we can't do a partial (cal) flash on the Cummins ECM. The Cummins ECM reflash procedure is 100% controlled by the ECM, that is how Cummins designed the system, unfortunately that means it expects that the programmer will always be flashing the entire ECM, there is just no other way to do it.
GM is the total opposite (excluding the Bosch ECM's). With GM we are able to upload our own reflash code in to the ECM so WE have 100% control of the process, I wish the Cummins ECM's would allow this. As a comparison (not trying to rub it in, just saying), a 2011 Delphi E39 GM gasser ECM contains 3Mb of flash memory, we are using our own in-house bootloaders to read and write to them. Read time (for 3Mb of data) is just on two minutes, cal only reflash is about 30 seconds. In comparison the 5.9L Cummins ECM only has about 1.5Mb of memory, so half the memory as the E39, but of course nowhere near those read or write times. If we were able to use our own code to reflash the 5.9L ECM we'd be reading them in about 1:30 and reflashing in about 20 seconds, kind of sucks doesn't it.
I believe FORD ECM's are the same as Cummins in that the programming process is 100% controlled by the ECM, no external bootloader is allowed for reflashing.

FUBAR
January 18th, 2012, 01:09 PM
Well phuck a duck...I was hoping there was gonna be so glimmer of hope to develop for this. Oh well.

GMPX
January 18th, 2012, 01:55 PM
Send all complaints to Cummins, that is the way the designed the ECM, nothing we can do about it.

2006Cummins
January 18th, 2012, 06:32 PM
Dear Cummins,
Please make your ecm's more like the duramax ecm's, so that I can more efficiently void my warranty, exceed your engineering parameters, and tamper with emissions components.:laugh:

Thanks for the explanation.

FUBAR
January 19th, 2012, 02:13 AM
^^^^^ lmao

TexasCummins
January 20th, 2012, 03:05 PM
Seven and a half minute flash times are getting old when I just make small changes.

Occupy Cummins!

flat_lander
January 20th, 2012, 04:37 PM
So how do the on the fly cummins box tuners change programming, w/o reprogramming? Some form of emulation?