PDA

View Full Version : airbag light.....

kpadlina
January 25th, 2012, 08:06 AM
How can I turn this light off?

joecar
January 25th, 2012, 08:31 AM
You can't disable it (other than unplugging it), but you can clear the DTC...

( from the scantool you can clear the DTC's from all modules in one go )

First, go Edit->Properties and
- on the Advanced tab checkmark Check/Clear DTCs for all Modules;
- on the Options tab checkmark Active Module Detection;
- click OK to close the properties window.

Then, connect to vehicle, and:
- on the OBDII tab goto the Modules subtab to make it show all the modules;
- go Info->Clear DTCs for all Listed Modules.

Take note that if the SDM module has a problem it will throw the DTC again and cause the airbag light to come on again.

kpadlina
January 25th, 2012, 08:46 AM
its coming back.... what could the problem be? I just want it to go away. forever.

Taz
January 25th, 2012, 09:43 AM
A little more information would be helpful. If this is an OEM configuration - take it in to the dealer and have it checked - airbags really helpout when bad things happen.

If you have switched the IPC (gauge cluster) - as an example, with trucks - switching to an IPC that has a trans temp gauge, from one that did not - may set off the airbag light - if the donor IPC is not 100% compatible.

Describe your configuration, and when the problem began ... someone may have an answer for you.

Regards,
Taz

kpadlina
January 26th, 2012, 07:07 AM
ok well,

I bought this car (01 camaro) with a blown engine. After fixing it I noticed that the air bag light is on and when I first start it it will blink then just stay on. the code its coming back with is b1001

joecar
January 26th, 2012, 07:15 AM
Borrowed from someplace on the web:

GM Technical service bulletin TSB Class 2 trouble code B1000, B1001, B1271, B1780

Class 2 Serial Data Communication allows control modules (i.e. the Powertrain Control Module (PCM), the Body Control Module (BCM), the Dash Integration Module (DIM), the Instrument Panel Cluster (IPC), the radio, the Heating, Ventilation and Air Conditioning (HVAC) Controller, and the Sensing and Diagnostic Module (SDM) to exchange information. This information may be operational information or identification information. Among the identification information exchanged and compared within these modules is the Vehicle Identification Number (VIN). Typically the one module, the master module, broadcasts the VIN and all the other modules compare the VIN stored within itself. When the broadcast VIN does not match the VIN stored within the SDM, the following actions occur:

DTC B1001 Option Configuration Error is set and deployment of the airbags is inhibited.

DTC B1271 or a DTC B1780 Theft Locked.

The VIN information is also used by the radio. When the VIN does not match the VIN stored within the radio, DTC B1271 or DTC B1780 is set and the radio is inoperative.

Additionally, the master module will compare the SDM's part number (last four digits) to determine if the correct SDM is installed in the vehicle. If the SDM is the wrong part, a B1001 will also set.
This situation may occur when a vehicle is being repaired. When a PCM or a body control type module is replaced, the VIN information must be programmed into the replaced (new) control module. A module which has had VIN information entered into it (for example, one taken from another vehicle) cannot be reprogrammed. VIN information can only be entered into new modules. The ignition must be ON in order to program the control module. Since the VIN information is broadcast when the ignition goes to ON from any other ignition switch position, DTCs may be set in the SDM and/or the radio. Therefore, always follow the specified control module replacement procedures.

Taz
January 26th, 2012, 07:17 AM
Check for a VIN mismatch ... I recall another thread with a Camaro having the same issue. The VIN in the PCM must match the VIN for the BCM / vehicle.

The odd time a reflash (by any device) may alter the VIN - often zero of question marks when checked.

Regards,
Taz

Taz
January 26th, 2012, 07:22 AM
Joecar, you are always ahead of me !!

This is the thread I was referring to ...

http://forum.efilive.com/showthread.php?16350-my-air-bag-light-came-on-after-a-tune&highlight=camaro+sdm

Regards,
Taz

kpadlina
January 26th, 2012, 08:32 AM
damn you guys are awesome! Now... is there a way for me to go into the BCM and read the vin or change the vin?

kpadlina
January 26th, 2012, 08:52 AM
so with the v2 i'm reading that its code B1001 and status says ---H-NCI can anyone tell me what this status means?

Taz
January 26th, 2012, 12:27 PM
... is there a way for me to go into the BCM and read the vin or change the vin ...

The issue typically is that the PCM has the wrong VIN (ie. not the original vehicle VIN) - which is different than the other modules attempting communication.

Confirm the PCM is programmed with the correct VIN (this is a separate procedure from flashing a calibration). Once the VIN in the PCM is correct, use the VATS Relink feature - hopefully this gets you going again.

Regards,
Taz

joecar
January 26th, 2012, 12:48 PM
Taz,

lol, it was quicker for me to Google it compared to looking up the TSB in the electronic Service Manual... :doh:

Cheers
:)

kpadlina
January 30th, 2012, 12:45 PM
looks like the VIN in the PCM is correct for the VIN on the vehicle. I also noticed that in the DTC module it says "inflatable restraint sensing and diagnostic module (SDM)"

white01ss
July 23rd, 2012, 08:45 AM
Curious about this as well. Steve91T says he got no dash lights after removing the airbag control module under the center console.

http://www.frrax.com/rrforum/lofiversion/index.php?t15667.html

Has any one else tried doing that?