PDA

View Full Version : Flashed a 6.7 and now its dead. Help please!

Compcowboy
January 27th, 2012, 07:19 PM
Flashed a tune modified from the stock file from this truck. Everything went smooth as far as the load. went to restart and now the truck just clicks the relays for the fuel pump with the key on. No start or turnover at all. get code $0549. it wont recognize the ecm now. it keeps saying the key is off. everything else seems to work off the ignition fine. and this is a 100% stock truck.

Ira
January 27th, 2012, 07:52 PM
$0549 says it means "Ignition is switched off." Is it possible you blew a fuse?

Ira

Compcowboy
January 27th, 2012, 08:08 PM
yes all fuses have been checked.

06redram
January 28th, 2012, 07:20 AM
In the tune that you made check table E6510 Vehicle Anti-Theft is Enabled not disabled save and reflash. If that does not work refash the OEM stock TUNE back in

GMPX
January 28th, 2012, 09:10 AM
ok, this doesn't sound real good, but I don't know why the ECM has ended up like it has.
When EFILive tells you the IGN is off that means it cannot communicate with the ECM. Perhaps pull the battery power for a few minutes and try again.

Compcowboy
January 28th, 2012, 10:00 AM
ok, this doesn't sound real good, but I don't know why the ECM has ended up like it has.
When EFILive tells you the IGN is off that means it cannot communicate with the ECM. Perhaps pull the battery power for a few minutes and try again.

Tried that. Zach should be forwarding Ross both files.

GMPX
January 28th, 2012, 11:54 AM
That would be me ;)
The Cummins ECM is pretty smart in that if the flash did not complete correctly the vehicle won't start, but then the ECM should also be recoverable in that situation. I have no idea why your ECM has gone off in to space like it has if the flash completed ok. The only time this has happened to us here at EFILive was on a 5.9L ECM, however, that was using Tech Authority with a CarDAQ to flash the ECM, it got to the end of the flash and that was it, it was dead, a factory file with the factory on-line programming tool. I'm afraid to say that ECM could never be recovered.
This is a long shot here and I would invite other tuners to comment, but I notice on the factory tune for the pilot 1 pulse table, the first row and column are 0. In the tune you flashed in this is not the case. Now this may have nothing at all to do with it freezing, but we have seen some GM ECM's 'lock up' when out of the ordinary values are put in certain tables.
I hate to say it, but I think you might need to start looking around for another ECM, I'm not sure what else you can try to get it to talk (based on our experience with the 5.9L ECM freezing up).

zfuller123
January 28th, 2012, 05:30 PM
I haven't looked at the tunes I passed on to you Ross, but it would be interesting to try. I have an ECM here but i'm not sure i want to lose it if that is the case.... I guess I could try putting that tune in it and then if it cooks it, at least we'd know and maybe you could put something in the software to prevent it if that is the problem...? I dunno, just a thought. I might wait until Monday to gamble on it - want to be sure i can get my hands on at least one more of the 6.7 ECMs before i risk cooking this one.

djsdiesel
January 28th, 2012, 05:35 PM
We are looking into getting a couple 6.7 ecms. If I can get them for the price we are thinking I will donate one to the cause.

GMPX
January 28th, 2012, 06:11 PM
I'd be more than willing to flash the tune in to my 6.7L ECM too, but it's my only test one here too.
By they way Compcowboy, although this might not have been a failure on the part of EFILive's reflash process, we will give you a free license to reflash a replacement ECM if you have to get one.

Compcowboy
January 29th, 2012, 04:00 AM
Thanks guys, question is, can his stock file and vin be flashed to a new ECM without the need for a dealer or will it have to be reset? Does your reads include injector code information?

davematthews
January 29th, 2012, 08:47 AM
Thanks guys, question is, can his stock file and vin be flashed to a new ECM without the need for a dealer or will it have to be reset? Does your reads include injector code information?

I have reflashed a stock file into a donar ecm. It was out of an 09 (pre cm2200..). My box tuner locked mine down. In fact I flashed it on two seperate ones.. Got a buddy to loan me his, flashed that one, then when I got my new one. I flashed that one. I know there's something in there on the injectors. But I'm not sure its as big of a deal as most make it out to be. If you have the original scan still intack. I would think that you would be fine. You might download the stock file cindy posted up and try that one first. Just a thought. I know that someone has a stock file out there that they would be willing to send you.

GMPX
January 29th, 2012, 09:48 AM
He has the stock file from the truck, so all he would need to do is flash the stock tune in to another ECM, change the VIN and it should be all set to roll.

davematthews
January 29th, 2012, 10:34 AM
Sorry. Didn't see that he had a complete file. Then yes. I didn't have my stock file. Which I still don't. Not that its an issue. Atleast I haven't noticed any. I think the stock file stuff was worse on the 5.9's. Don't know what the difference is, but I'm not running to my dealer unless I have too. So far so good.

GMPX
January 29th, 2012, 10:42 AM
Yes, the stock file issue on the 5.9L was a disaster, even on Dodge/Cummins own on-line programming website (Tech Authority (https://www.techauthority.com/en-US/Pages/Home.aspx)) there is lots of warnings about no start on the 5.9L after a reflash.

Robs24vCTD
January 29th, 2012, 11:54 AM
I don't know if this pertains to anything but for some reason the factory navigation unit in the truck used to say DODGE when powered up. Since the flash it now powers up with a Chrysler emblem. Thanks for all the ideas guys, we pulled my ecm and Zach should have it in a day or two.

FUBAR
January 30th, 2012, 07:48 AM
Yes, the stock file issue on the 5.9L was a disaster, even on Dodge/Cummins own on-line programming website (Tech Authority (https://www.techauthority.com/en-US/Pages/Home.aspx)) there is lots of warnings about no start on the 5.9L after a reflash.

What's the difference in holding your breath flashing a stock one vs one that's been modified? I noticed "stock" file was referred to in quite a few of the above horror posts. It's hard for me to fathom since I've flashed my 5.9L hundreds of times and even pulled the OBD cable out mid way thru a flash (realized I was flashing the wrong tune BBF'ing and wanted to validate where one of you all said that you tried to kill one and couldn't, of course that could've been a brain fart..but I tried!) and my ECM is perfectly fine.

GMPX
January 30th, 2012, 09:58 AM
I know in developing we certainly did our best to accidentally kill one when we didn't have the process working 100%, like flashing the wrong parts of the flash in to the ECM, all sorts of nasty stuff, and as you found the ECM always seems to come good. Of course part of our testing routine is to interrupt the flash, turn IGN off whilst flashing and making sure we can recover, so in the case of this one that has stopped responding it's hard to imagine what went wrong.

zfuller123
January 30th, 2012, 10:07 AM
I don't know if this pertains to anything but for some reason the factory navigation unit in the truck used to say DODGE when powered up. Since the flash it now powers up with a Chrysler emblem. Thanks for all the ideas guys, we pulled my ecm and Zach should have it in a day or two.

What were you guys using for a stock file? Since the tunes you were using didn't come from me - I'm not sure the history here... I'm hoping that once i get your ECM that we can maybe pull something off - but honestly it sounds like it's slim chances... I have a few things to try on it before we write it off - but would be nice to know the history of the files (ie using a stock file from a different truck, etc....)

Robs24vCTD
January 30th, 2012, 10:13 AM
Stock file was pulled off of my truck, modified then loaded back to my truck. Only thing that was different was the V2 we pulled the file from the truck with and the v2 we loded it with. Both were updated while we were at your class earlier this month at industrial.

Robs24vCTD
January 30th, 2012, 10:16 AM
Stock tune was pulled off my truck, modified, then loaded, only change was the v2 that pulled the file was different then the one we loaded with.

THEFERMANATOR
January 30th, 2012, 12:28 PM
I don't know if it applies, but this used to occur quite a bit on the 98-00 CUMMINS ECM's when we would flash them at the dealership. We were told by CUMMINS it was an IC chip problem internal to the ECM.

zfuller123
January 31st, 2012, 02:54 AM
Stock file was pulled off of my truck, modified then loaded back to my truck. Only thing that was different was the V2 we pulled the file from the truck with and the v2 we loded it with. Both were updated while we were at your class earlier this month at industrial.

I'm not sure of any reason why 2 seperate V2s could cause a problem... not sure at all. Perhaps I will test this out too... just to see. If both had the same firmware though i can't imagine there would be a problem from one to another....

Robs24vCTD
January 31st, 2012, 04:27 AM
Both were updated when we were down for your class at industrial. Looks like my ECM should be in your hands today.

davematthews
January 31st, 2012, 06:20 AM
I know this doesn't help in this instance. I found that u can loose the ecm in certian instances. I had over the course of nearly two years flashed mine atleast 200 times. Smarty and h&s and back in forth, manual files auto files, diff os's from diff years. Everything with those two tuners i tried. Even stacking them. I finally locked up my ecm when i unplugged my tcm with the truck running. Then shut the truck off and turned the key bk on. Tried to flash a manual file over the auto thag was there. Best i can determine is tbat the ecm was still trying to find the tcm and thats when it locked up. It was unrecoverable and so was the tcm. So maybe there was something in there that it was trying to do or locate that caused it.

zfuller123
January 31st, 2012, 07:25 AM
Yep looks like the ECM should be here today... i won't lay hands on it until this evening, but i'll be sure to update this thread with any progress (or lack of progress). It'd be sweet if something could come together with it tonight... but if not, hopefully tomorrow when i have my hands on some other equipment I can try some additional things just to see....

zfuller123
January 31st, 2012, 01:55 PM
Well... no love tonight....

It is interesting though - when the ECM is plugged into the harness but not 'keyed on' - my V2 will power up just like normal when not plugged into the laptop. However, when i flip the switch - at almost exactly 5 seconds, the ECM 'power cycles' which causes the V2 to reboot as well... Forgive the lack of proper naming - but whatever it does at exactly 5 seconds of 'key on' - seems like a reboot to me. Not sure what that is all about.

Anyways, i tried several things just for kicks. Connecting with the Scan tool. Connecting with V8 (trying the different options for reading it) - etc. etc. As well as trying to flash it. Always received teh ingnition switched off error.

Tomorrow, if my day works out right, i will have my hands on some other tools that i will try with the aid of a bench harness and then possibly right in another truck if the bench harness won't work with the tool.... just different things to try and see if it's possible. Got a truck i can put it in and use if absoutely necessary, but got some other things going on tomorrow as well, so time will tell on that. Either way, i'll report back success or failure tomorrow. Not expecting much, but was worth a try.

Also, if i can come up with a 2nd 6.7 ECM, i'll donate my current good one to 'testing' by trying to put that tune in and see. At least that question can be answered. Still not sure what the differences in the tunes were - i haven't opened them yet to look - but it would be a great thing to know.

Robs24vCTD
January 31st, 2012, 02:39 PM
Think it could be possible that it just has a crazy O.S. that hates life? Also our first read on the truck was with candidate 7, so the tune pulled was with 7 but the tune was modified with 8 and loaded. Just trying to lay it all out there. Thanks again for the help Zach

GMPX
January 31st, 2012, 03:10 PM
That should have been ok Rob.
The last major change we did on the 6.7L read was on 2011-Aug-30. Since then there has been minor changes just creeping up on the fastest possible read time.

Compcowboy
February 1st, 2012, 05:35 AM
Should have a new ECM tonight, what do you need to get a license to flash the new ECM to robs file? I can get you the scan tool numbers this evening.

Robs24vCTD
February 1st, 2012, 06:16 AM
Whos to say we load my factory tune to a new ECM and then we go and load a modded tune only to lock up a new ECM because there is something weird about my factory os or tune? Or is this just a gamble we have to make?

zfuller123
February 1st, 2012, 10:01 AM
My guess is that if you load the factory file fine - then the only cause of failure after that has to be something wrong in the tune - which is what I was going to test if i can get my hands on a second 6.7 ECM.... I only have one good one right now and didn't want to wreck it til i have a backup :-)

So.... i guess there is a gamble, but I really don't think it would be with the Operating System. Ross has it mapped in EFILive, so that means at least one other person besides yourself has used it..... But Ross could correct me there too.... Just my opinion there.

davematthews
February 5th, 2012, 02:13 PM
If you guys need a 6.7 ecm. I have a source that I can buy one from. Its kind of expensive (400 a piece). But if that's what ya'll want to do, I can get one drop shipped to you.

Compcowboy
February 7th, 2012, 04:58 PM
We were able to pick up another ecm and swapped it in. So far all we have done is change the vin to match his truck. Havent tried flashing his old file to the new ecm yet. still a little gun shy.

Operator62
April 1st, 2012, 01:43 PM
What ever came of all this? I need to know as I am in the same situation! I removed smarty, read stock file, disabled emissions related DTCs, saved, full flashed to truck, truck turns over, does not start. Tried to reflash original stock file, but efi live will not recognize the key being on and neither will the smarty. I checked fuses, and they are good. Unhooked batteries for a bit, and no change. Am I looking at another ECM here, or did someone figure this out? I have email Ryan at Suncoast my original file and edited file for him to take a look at.

davematthews
April 1st, 2012, 01:46 PM
Who wrote your original tune?

GMPX
April 1st, 2012, 01:53 PM
Guys, we have found a very serious error with these 'returned to stock' Smarty tunes. Two ECM's went down last night and my own test one this morning in figuring out the problem. The ECM's are not recoverable, you will need a new ECM.
I am in the process of typing a message alerting everyone with details of the exact issue, in the mean time DO NOT flash any 6.7L ECM that previously had a Smarty tune on it, even if they were supposedly 'returned to stock', they are not being done correctly. Please let as many people as you know who might be affected by this.

davematthews
April 1st, 2012, 02:12 PM
Thanks for the update. That's no good at all. I'm glad I haven't had an issue yet. My last 4 customers were all previous smarty users and 6.7's... WHEEE...

Operator62
April 1st, 2012, 02:14 PM
By original tune I mean the "stock tune" that was put back on the truck by the smarty. Looks like I am pretty well screwed at this point though. Where I can get another ECM that won't cost me an arm and a leg.

Krazeeun
April 1st, 2012, 02:15 PM
Damn, I've got two auto cal's about to go out the door, I better see what they're running for tuners currently.

davematthews
April 1st, 2012, 02:18 PM
Operator- Do you remember what version you had with smarty. I think they have been chaning up some things since efi started getting developed for the 67's.. Just curious if its in one of the latest releases. I know mine and a couple of other local customers were using 23me..

Also, if 400 isn't too high. I know where you can get one. I'll have to check and see if he has them instock. But that's the cheapest I have found...sorry about yours.

Operator62
April 1st, 2012, 02:21 PM
I was still running 14me...lol 400 doesn't sound too outrageous. I don't want to sound skeptical, but are they a reliable source? I just don't wanna get screwed outta 400 bucks. Especially not after this. Not trying to insult anyone. I just want to be sure.

Dmaxink
April 1st, 2012, 02:22 PM
I've flashed roughly 10 trucks recently that were returned to stock from Smarty...guess I could call myself lucky! Lol

GMPX
April 1st, 2012, 02:25 PM
By original tune I mean the "stock tune" that was put back on the truck by the smarty.
That is the problem, the "Stock Tune" is not that at all, I am attempting to write up a description of the problem now, we may even try to narrow it down to a specific Smarty update.

Operator62
April 1st, 2012, 02:29 PM
I was still on 14me. Maybe it's an issue with the older smarty files.

zfuller123
April 1st, 2012, 02:31 PM
14ME seems to be the culprit so far as i can tell.... At least so far. i'm on the hunt for another ECM so i can get my customers rolling again. Anyone that can help, PLEASE point me to one!! Only need one, would like to have 2.....

davematthews
April 1st, 2012, 02:34 PM
I was still running 14me...lol 400 doesn't sound too outrageous. I don't want to sound skeptical, but are they a reliable source? I just don't wanna get screwed outta 400 bucks. Especially not after this. Not trying to insult anyone. I just want to be sure.

Yes sir. I would go so far as to garuantee it myself. I had one of his in my truck for a month while waiting on H&S to give me a new one. Their xrt crashed mine. He loaned it to me till my new one came in. I just called him to see if he has them instock. 400 is my price,so when he calls me I'll get his permission to post his contact info up for you guys. You can go through him directly.

Kory- I'm right there.. My heart dropped when Ross posted that.. Started thinking about who I had to call... I guess I got lucky too..

Ross- Only update I've used for a stock file was 23me.. (smarty update). Everybody else I have asked to visit the dealer for a stock flash. Zach and I did notice one customer that had a really weird stock tune red from an old version of smarty, we decided to use a different OS. It was showing he had a aisin tranny and all kinds of neat stuff..

Operator62
April 1st, 2012, 09:42 PM
I REALLY need one! This is on my truck that I drive to work every day.:(

davematthews
April 1st, 2012, 10:08 PM
As soon as i get ahold of forest i'll let you know. Or if ur on cf he's drunk on diesel, on compd he is forest nearing.

GMPX
April 2nd, 2012, 12:29 AM
I know there is people chasing down ECM's for those affected, you should be back on the road again ASAP.

What we know so far, the three trucks that failed were all ones that had been 'returned to stock' by the Smarty programmer.
All are running the ECM OS number 11720300, two were 14ME, the other 14TNT.
I don't know their update system, you guys would probably have more idea on how old those are and what they've been replaced by.

As others have noted, there is no issues with the current release and real stock tunes, others are saying that have been using the later Smarty 'returned to stock' files ok as well. Initially we suspected something must have been wrong with our update, however it looks like just a bad co-incidence that three trucks happened to be running the same 14 Smarty release.

Operator62
April 2nd, 2012, 12:33 AM
It definitely seems that 14 is the issue here for whatever reason.

Operator62
April 2nd, 2012, 07:36 AM
I pmed Forest on cf, but no reply from him yet.

cindy@efilive
April 2nd, 2012, 08:43 AM
I pmed Forest on cf, but no reply from him yet.

I PMed you on Cummins Forum.

I also PMed Forrest and am waiting for a response.

Cheers
Cindy

davematthews
April 2nd, 2012, 02:46 PM
Operator- I spoke to forest tonight. The 400 each stands.. However, he sent Cindy a proposal on it and wants to wait and see what her thoughts are. He's trying to figure out how to get everybody taken care of with as little as expense as possible. So give him till tomorrow and he'll get back to you.

cindy@efilive
April 3rd, 2012, 09:45 AM
Jody's ECM has been shipped.

We have updated our software with additional warnings. The Public Release software (Apr 03) is now available for download from our website. Download Software (http://www.efilive.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=48&Itemid=133)

For Cummins, this release adds additional warnings for incomplete files, and updates the Cummins ECM Reference Notes.PDF which can be found via the menu selection Start>All Programs>EFILive>V8>Documents>Cummins ECM reference notes.pdf

Many box tuners DO NOT return the ECM to stock even on the stock setting.

Whilst some incomplete files may be suitable for flashing, EFILive is now advising against this. Each box tuner has their own flashing routine, and it is impossible for us to know and understand each and every method they use for each of their products, software versions and operating systems. Consistency DOES NOT EXIST, therefore customers SHOULD NOT TAKE THE RISK.

Customers will need to obtain a true stock file either from their EFILive reseller, the tune library or their dealership.

Cheers
Cindy

drunk on diesel
April 5th, 2012, 04:27 PM
Sorry to anybody who had a truck down :(

I was out of town this past weekend for a wedding and was out of pocket. I got home Sunday night late and had all sorts of emergency messages/requests/etc.

EFI and Zach really stepped up to take care of this issue. I did my best to help the cause! :D

I'm officially running low on Cummins ECM's now compared to a couple months ago, but I've still got a couple 06/07, six 07-09, three 10-12, and various 02-05

zfuller123
April 6th, 2012, 05:39 PM
PM me about the 03-05 ECMs you have on tap please.... I have all the rest now but haven't been hunting for the 03-05s yet. not even sure if they are different from one another or not, i haven't checked!

Thanks!

GMPX
April 6th, 2012, 10:41 PM
The 2003 is unique, the 2004-2005 I think are the same.

EverydayDiesel
February 12th, 2016, 04:42 PM
Same thing happened to me tonight
Smarty JR running J25ME / V6.06B
"Ok to flash" on a tune that was downloaded from file depot
OS 11551035

My friend works at cummins and will try to reflash the ecm. Has this been successfully done before?? Can the ecm's still be had for $400 new?