PDA

View Full Version : General EFI Flashing question... complete ECM personality change ?

someguy
January 28th, 2012, 04:35 AM
Lets say I have an 08 manual ECM. (CM2000)

Lets say that I want to install the ECM on an 09 automatic truck that came with a CM2000.

Or vice versa... this is all hypothetical.

If I write an EFI Live read stock tune from an automatic to the manual ECM does it make it a complete auto ECM just like it came from the factory ? Or are there other things to change, ie it needs a reflash from the dealer to make it an automatic ECM ?

Thanks.

2007 5.9
January 28th, 2012, 05:27 AM
Flash in a manual tune and it will act like a manual.

Since the tunes are auto/man specific...just flash in the one you desire.

someguy
January 28th, 2012, 06:04 AM
Excellent, I'm glad to hear that.

Thanks for the reply.

GMPX
January 28th, 2012, 09:05 AM
That is one advantage of the Cummins way of flashing, 'everything' gets transferred in to the ECM, mind you, that can also be annoying too.

davematthews
January 29th, 2012, 08:50 AM
Lets say I have an 08 manual ECM. (CM2000)

Lets say that I want to install the ECM on an 09 automatic truck that came with a CM2000.

Or vice versa... this is all hypothetical.

If I write an EFI Live read stock tune from an automatic to the manual ECM does it make it a complete auto ECM just like it came from the factory ? Or are there other things to change, ie it needs a reflash from the dealer to make it an automatic ECM ?

Thanks.

Works. I've got an 08 auto from the factory. Running a manual file to get rid of the torque managment. 68rfe shifts funny with the torque managment in there. Good thing also about having the TCM. Seperate tranny controls as well. Course its more work for ross and his crew to try and get us the trans controls. But hopefully they will get it figured out and we will be all good..

DoghouseDiesel
January 29th, 2012, 02:13 PM
This is exactly what we do with trucks that were equipped with 68's and have been swapped to 47's for race purposes.

All we do is use a manual trans tune to 1 - get rid of the torque management and 2 - get rid of the dash indicators if the truck is using a manual VB and ratchet shifter.

someguy
January 30th, 2012, 08:07 AM
Do manual transmissions have torque management ? Could it be added to a manual transmission ?

2007 5.9
January 30th, 2012, 08:27 AM
Do manual transmissions have torque management ? Could it be added to a manual transmission ?

Dont think so...and why would you want it??

someguy
January 30th, 2012, 06:55 PM
To reduce the torque while shifting an automatic transmission that didn't come with a Dodge truck.