PDA

View Full Version : Allison TAP reset - is it still needed?

Blacky
January 30th, 2012, 12:33 PM
Quick question for the Diesel tuners out there. Does anyone use the full-flash option to reset the Allison TAPs at the end of the flash process?
See the image below for an example of what I mean.

It is not currently implemented in the V8 BBF or pass-thru flashing (it never has been).
I'm trying to decide if it should be added to V8 or, if no-one uses it anymore, can I drop support for it in V8?

Regards
Paul

THEFERMANATOR
January 30th, 2012, 02:33 PM
I use it whenever I do a full flash. If not the TAPS get REALLY screwed up.

2007 5.9
January 30th, 2012, 02:56 PM
What is TAPS for us Cummins guys??

General knowledge is all I ask.

THEFERMANATOR
January 30th, 2012, 04:05 PM
TAPS=target applied pressure's. The ALLISON is a direct clutch to clutch engagement trans with no one way clutches in it. Every shift it must disengage one clutch pack and engage the next one while momentarily going to neutral to avoid a tie-up(AKA being in 2 gears at once). TAPS is what teh TCM uses for shift timing and target desired pressure to achieve the correct shift time and firmness. Don't think it really applies so much to the 48RE, but may be part of the 68RFE's shifting logic as it is a clutch to clutch trans.

2007 5.9
January 30th, 2012, 04:22 PM
Thank you...is this why there is a obvious delay/falloff between shifts??

THEFERMANATOR
January 31st, 2012, 05:06 AM
Thank you...is this why there is a obvious delay/falloff between shifts??

Pretty much. Since the ALLISON has to go to neutral for a split second, it commands teh ECM to cut the power during this time to stop it from flaring. Many have turned this off, but this almost always ends up with broken hard parts. If the TCm sees a flare, it will try to shift faster reducing this defuel effect and ends in a tie-up.

LB72004
February 3rd, 2012, 12:03 PM
i used to do it when i was changing my shift points. now i don't ever reset them. after the transmission learns the shift pattern and ran smooth i copy the TAP info into my tun and now when i flash it it does not have to learn/adjust much and is much quicker at adapting to the changes.