PDA

View Full Version : E39 DMA PID's

swingtan
February 3rd, 2012, 08:53 PM
I've been doing some logging on a late 2011 E39 SIDI and most of it is going well. However, if I attempt to log any DMA PID, the PID Nazi comes along and says "No PID's for you.... Now get out!"

So, am I correct in assuming that the DMA PID's are OS / Calibration specific and until I get a valid calibration for the OS, I can't log DMA PID's?

Simon.

gmh308
February 4th, 2012, 02:34 AM
I've been doing some logging on a late 2011 E39 SIDI and most of it is going well. However, if I attempt to log any DMA PID, the PID Nazi comes along and says "No PID's for you.... Now get out!"

So, am I correct in assuming that the DMA PID's are OS / Calibration specific and until I get a valid calibration for the OS, I can't log DMA PID's?

Simon.

Recall Ross saying some time back they were OS specific, and hard to find. Somewhere in RAM however big that is.

swingtan
February 4th, 2012, 08:41 AM
Yeah, I was pretty sue this was the case. I've got the T43 cal after upgrading to RC8 ( which seems to be going well so far ), just waiting on the E39 cal to be done.

GMPX
February 4th, 2012, 10:43 AM
Yeah, DMA PID's have to be defined per OS, it's one of those arduous tasks. They work ok on my E39 :pokey:
Have you logged knock yet?

swingtan
February 4th, 2012, 12:41 PM
Logged knock.......... It's a great saw tooth wave generator.......

GMPX
February 4th, 2012, 02:56 PM
For the life of me I cannot imagine why they were calibrated like that, surely Holden knew 99% of people are going to run these engines on 10cents per litre off low grade supermarket chain fuel.
Try the same thing on E85, zero knock, it's just a shame the fuel economy suffers so much.

gmh308
February 4th, 2012, 06:04 PM
For the life of me I cannot imagine why they were calibrated like that, surely Holden knew 99% of people are going to run these engines on 10cents per litre off low grade supermarket chain fuel.
Try the same thing on E85, zero knock, it's just a shame the fuel economy suffers so much.

They really have continuous low level knock?

What sort of consumption on E85 relative to the supermarket dregs?

GMPX
February 4th, 2012, 06:07 PM
Ian, I set my V2 to trigger a beep on 3+ degrees of knock retard, it was unplugged within about 800 meters due to extreme activity, they are that bad.

E85 around town, fuel econ will jump to about 15.5 - 16L/100. Do the maths at only 20cents per litre cheaper and it's not worth it (as it normall gets low 12's). Plus I need to drive about 10Km to get it.

Cheers,
Ross

gmh308
February 4th, 2012, 06:59 PM
Ian, I set my V2 to trigger a beep on 3+ degrees of knock retard, it was unplugged within about 800 meters due to extreme activity, they are that bad.

E85 around town, fuel econ will jump to about 15.5 - 16L/100. Do the maths at only 20cents per litre cheaper and it's not worth it (as it normall gets low 12's). Plus I need to drive about 10Km to get it.

Cheers,
Ross

LOL - you could get the V2 to play a tune on the knock :). That's 3+ degrees of knock continuously. I get lots less on 11.7:1 and E10. SIDI motor has more comp I would guess.

Well at 45%+ more fuel flow at stoich, 16L/100k is not so bad. Only a ~30% consumption penalty. If the price was in the right place it would be worth it :). Only time it really works is when 98 is at the weekly high (if one needs 98 that is) - even then its line ball so only benefit is knock and reduced HC's.

GMPX
February 4th, 2012, 07:03 PM
Maybe all the extra money from the Carbon Tax Canberra now has (because they are so serious about the environment), they could throw some more subsidies at E85.

swingtan
February 4th, 2012, 07:43 PM
Well, I haven't received the fuel card yet, so I filled with V-Power today, just for the test. I have to say, it goes much better on 98 than 91. I've only just got inside so will compare some log data in a bit, but I think the KR should be less. It's a pitty I can't see the Octane Scalar, though I do have the commanded spark. Fuel trims will also be interesting.

gmh308
February 4th, 2012, 07:54 PM
Maybe all the extra money from the Carbon Tax Canberra now has (because they are so serious about the environment), they could throw some more subsidies at E85.

Carbon tax. What bollox is that political waffle? Most carbon emissions emanates from politician's mouths as they spin doctor the public. And a couple of drilling platforms with their burn off flames of the NW shelf produce more CO2 than all Sydney and Melbourne's traffic combined. And that's only a couple. There are dozens if not hundreds. I know people in the oil business that have been in there 25+ years. They say there was an "oil shortage" when they joined, and an "oil shortage" now - NOT.

Down of the box... :)

swingtan
February 4th, 2012, 09:28 PM
91 vs 98 testing here......

http://forum.efilive.com/showthread.php?18396-E39-GMH-3-0-SIDI-91-vs-98-Octane