PDA

View Full Version : Tuning on a customers tow rig yesterday

DoghouseDiesel
February 5th, 2012, 03:01 AM
Here are the results of the tuning session yesterday on an '06 Dually.

His first pull on the dyno was with his current tuning and it produced 500 hp and about 800 lbs of torque.

He was running a Silver 66 with 120's. Had all the necessary supporting mods for that power level.

I could have easily brought him up into the 700's, but this was a DRW tow rig so I didn't put him on kill mode and put his EGT's through the roof.

650 HP is right in the middle of a 66's comfort range, so he'll be good.

He'll be able to use this power level and do anything he wants with the truck.

Notice the smoothing factor in the upper right corner....NO SMOOTHING.

It's hitting the speed limiter at 120 MPH and 3800 RPM's due to the 4.10 gears. This is how I normally try to set the truck up...use all the RPM's it can and make it cut at the speed limiter vs the rev limiter, makes a much better cutoff than fuel getting pulled back due to the rev limiter.

He called me after he left and said the ass end tried to come around on him when he smashed it at 65 MPH.

http://i288.photobucket.com/albums/ll189/Cumminalong/Dohouse Diesel Pics/4FebDynoTune.jpg

mstordahl
February 5th, 2012, 03:15 AM
Nice graph, looks like a predictable power curve perfect for towing.

2007 5.9
February 5th, 2012, 03:50 AM
Load cell dyno??

Looks great Rich!!!

FUBAR
February 5th, 2012, 04:07 AM
Awesome man! There seems to be more and more of these success stories coming to light nowadays with EFILive....

DoghouseDiesel
February 5th, 2012, 05:03 AM
Load cell dyno??

Looks great Rich!!!

Yeah, 20% load on it.

He didn't have a TC lock or 4th gear switch on it so I was having to start it higher in the RPM range to keep it from unlocking and down shifting. This made the torque numbers a little low because I couldn't stab it down lower in the RPM range. His actual torque should be in mid 1200 range.

DODGE74
February 5th, 2012, 05:51 AM
Excellent job Rich!

A 66 wheel and 120's are my next move so its good to see how you set him up.

triton
February 5th, 2012, 06:32 AM
all in a tune ! saw that on Facebook, nice work man. Really looking forward to getting mine strapped down too :exactly:

DoghouseDiesel
February 5th, 2012, 07:33 AM
Excellent job Rich!

A 66 wheel and 120's are my next move so its good to see how you set him up.

The truck had plenty left to go higher than that, but again it's wasn't a kill mode tune.

This was 100% for drivability, low smoke and towing.

DODGE74
February 5th, 2012, 08:02 AM
Man that's music to my ears.

Conservative tuning, and still lays down 650hp.

someguy
February 15th, 2012, 06:06 PM
What were the EGTs like ?

SilverBullet
March 21st, 2012, 05:07 AM
ok so im not looking for your tune specs per say but im working on a tow tune and maybe my expectations outway reality at this point. But could you give me some insight on what makes for a great tow tune as compared to an ok one....more low end fuel/timing with in a said rpm range say 1500-2200. maybe im looking at a tow tune all wrong here.