PDA

View Full Version : 4L80E downshift firmness question

Wolfie
February 7th, 2012, 03:48 PM
Did search, but can't find what I am trying to look for...
07 Express 2500.
When manually downshifting, is there somewhere to look to make the downshift happen quicker?
When downshifting from 3 > 2 or 2 > 1 it seems to take way too long to make the downshift.

Taz
February 7th, 2012, 04:06 PM
Hello Wolfie,

Take a look at your settings for:

D0928 (Manual downshift 2>1 shift speed)
D0933 (Manual downshift 3>2 shift speed)
D2003 (Abuse mode speed enable)

Regards,
Taz

Wolfie
February 8th, 2012, 06:16 AM
(I hope this works, I'm sending this from my iPhone while at work)

Thanks Taz, but that's not what I mean.
I have the tranny shifting when I want it , in part to a trans tune from a hummer.
I mean the time from when the downshift begins, and when it is fully downshifted.
Almost like a slipping tranny on an up shift.

Taz
February 8th, 2012, 08:40 AM
OK .. now I understand ... my apologies for my confusion.

No direct parameter in the calibration that comes to mind for manual downshift times. If you are manually downshifting at low % TPS or while coasting - the TC will be unlocked in a truck tune -and this will make the shift feel longer. At high % TPS or WOT the manual downshift should be quicker.

I generally use TransGo kits in 4L60 and 4L80 - haven't tuned a stock 4L80 in a while. Nothing comparable here right now to log.

Regards,
Taz

slow67
February 8th, 2012, 10:32 AM
This seems to be one of the few tables "The other guys" have, but is not in EFILive. The table is called "Brake shift pressure vs Torque vs Gear". It looks backwards from a normal shift pressure table (low torque input is high pressure) because the transmission is mostly only de-applying clutches. Yes, the overruns and bands get applied sequentially, but these aren't important to operation, as they only keep the engine from over-running the transmission, they aren't really holding any power.

Wolfie
February 8th, 2012, 12:15 PM
sigh..... ok.... thanks for the answers...

joecar
February 11th, 2012, 10:46 AM
This seems to be one of the few tables "The other guys" have, but is not in EFILive. The table is called "Brake shift pressure vs Torque vs Gear". It looks backwards from a normal shift pressure table (low torque input is high pressure) because the transmission is mostly only de-applying clutches. Yes, the overruns and bands get applied sequentially, but these aren't important to operation, as they only keep the engine from over-running the transmission, they aren't really holding any power.When I get a chance I'll ask Ross/Paul if this can be made available.

Wolfie
February 11th, 2012, 11:53 AM
Thanks Joe!

slow67
February 12th, 2012, 10:14 AM
X2!

GMPX
February 12th, 2012, 05:04 PM
I'll be honest guys, I just don't know when I can go back and look at the T42 stuff again, I mean, I'll put it on my list, but that list is very big.

Taz
February 13th, 2012, 02:39 AM
I'll be honest guys, I just don't know when I can go back and look at the T42 stuff again, I mean, I'll put it on my list, but that list is very big.

Hello Ross,

Not that it changes your work load ... Wolfie's 2007 Express still uses the LS1-B PCM - these didn't change to the E38 / T42 until the 2008 model year. I believe the Express / Savana van were not sold in the Australian market - doubtful you have ever had the pleasure of owning one !!

Regards,
Taz

Wolfie
February 13th, 2012, 12:55 PM
Alas.... left in the dust....

Wolfie
April 8th, 2012, 01:35 AM
This seems to be one of the few tables "The other guys" have, but is not in EFILive. The table is called "Brake shift pressure vs Torque vs Gear". It looks backwards from a normal shift pressure table (low torque input is high pressure) because the transmission is mostly only de-applying clutches. Yes, the overruns and bands get applied sequentially, but these aren't important to operation, as they only keep the engine from over-running the transmission, they aren't really holding any power.

OK, If I purchase and use the software from "the other guy", to get the trans where I want it,would I still be able to use the cal with efilive?
-I mean just changing the table I need,
or would I have to switch over to the other software from then on?

slow67
April 9th, 2012, 02:42 AM
OK, If I purchase and use the software from "the other guy", to get the trans where I want it,would I still be able to use the cal with efilive?
-I mean just changing the table I need,
or would I have to switch over to the other software from then on?

If its not using a COS and its not locked, then yes. Download the tune with the other guys, make the changes, then re-upload. Download tune again with EFILive. If you need to do a COS, then apply it last.