PDA

View Full Version : Trying to understand the air PIDS - could use some guidance

jfdicurt
February 9th, 2012, 03:12 PM
Hello forum experts.
I am a relative noobie but have spent the last year fiddling, learning and reading a LOT. I managed to successfully do both a MAF and Swingtan VVE tune on my LS3 (E38) lightly cammed Corvette and now I am trying to understand the relationship of some of the cylinder air pids and what they are telling me. I have posted a scan and a dashpage file (zipped) so you can see what I am seeing.

Of the 3 PIDS GM.DYNAIR_LS2, SAE.MAF and GM.AIRPERSEC they all seem to track very closely to each other in the scan. I am assuming that is a good thing. Can you help me understand what each is telling me.

Also, in another thread I read one of the experts (Swingtan) telling the forum user this sentence:

2.Min idle air flow is very high, much higher that what the car seems to want. In the tune, you have around 12gm/S to 13gm/S but the engine is only using around 7 to 8.

How does he know that. He is able to look at the scan and determine what the engine is really needing - I am assuming he is looking at the same kind of air pids I am asking about. Just trying to understand this air part a little better.

Thanks VERY much for any guidance you can give!