PDA

View Full Version : Controlling an exhaust brake via EFI Live ?

someguy
February 13th, 2012, 06:22 AM
Can/will EFI Live have the functionality to control an external pin on the ECM via a value in a table or an input to the ECM ?

Lets say I want to control an external exhaust brake whenever the exhaust brake switch is on and engine RPM is over 1500, that sort of thing.

I know there are other ways of controlling an exhaust brake, but I'm trying to do something innovative and do it via EFILive instead of another way.

Another example is turning on a NOS system or injecting methanol.

Is it/ will it be possible ?

Thanks !

GMPX
February 13th, 2012, 07:41 AM
Please correct me if I am wrong, but isn't the exhaust brake function already on the 6.7L? I only say that because in beta testing we were playing with one truck on some stuff and the owner reported back he's Exhaust Brake stopped working.

THEFERMANATOR
February 13th, 2012, 07:44 AM
It sounds like he is talking about running a differren turbo and using an add on exhaust brake in the exhaust instead.

someguy
February 13th, 2012, 06:25 PM
It sounds like he is talking about running a differren turbo and using an add on exhaust brake in the exhaust instead.

Yes. Its air operated, controlled by a 12V solenoid.

The 6.7 does come with an exhaust brake, built into the VGT operation of the HE351VE. I'll be running a different turbo once I get EFILive going and I suspect a lot of other people will too.

The 6.7 ECM communicates with the HE351VE via the CAN bus.

GMPX
February 13th, 2012, 09:11 PM
Well you confirmed what I was sort of asking, you are looking to control a non factory turbo. Anyway, the answer is I am not sure because we haven't looked in to what spare outputs might be available on the ECM to do such things.

someguy
February 14th, 2012, 02:53 PM
Thanks for the reply. Let me know if I can be any help. I have an '08 and an '010 ECM and various electronic tools.