PDA

View Full Version : Converting my 04.5 to an 06 ECM ?

someguy
February 15th, 2012, 07:10 PM
I have an 04.5CR swapped into a Ford.

Any advice on converting it to an 06 ECM so I can run EFI Live ? I'd also really like access to the CAN bus for a few other things too.

Would an 06 ECM need a different engine harness ?

Are all the sensors the same between the two engines ? I know the injectors are different, but I assume we can overcome that with changes to the duration table ?

Thanks

DODGE74
February 16th, 2012, 02:39 AM
Why don't you just hang tight for a few more months instead of spending a bunch of unnecessary money. Efi live is just around the corner for you guys.

FUBAR
February 16th, 2012, 03:04 AM
I think he wants some of the features of the CAN system for the rest of the truck.. so it sounds like depending how hard it would be would be the deciding factor if he pursues it or not.

TexasCummins
February 16th, 2012, 04:48 AM
I would think you would have to upgrade many other components as well, seeing as how on the CAN network each component is its own computer (cluster, radio, overhead module, etc).

DODGE74
February 16th, 2012, 05:40 AM
I think he wants some of the features of the CAN system for the rest of the truck.. so it sounds like depending how hard it would be would be the deciding factor if he pursues it or not.

Ahh, you may be right.

someguy
February 16th, 2012, 05:45 AM
I would think you would have to upgrade many other components as well, seeing as how on the CAN network each component is its own computer (cluster, radio, overhead module, etc). The engine is swapped into a Ford, so none of this stuff is present. All I need it to do is run the engine.

someguy
February 16th, 2012, 05:46 AM
Why don't you just hang tight for a few more months instead of spending a bunch of unnecessary money. Efi live is just around the corner for you guys. OK, I can do that.

GMPX
February 16th, 2012, 10:00 AM
I asked the guys in Cummins Beta about such a swap, on a Dodge RAM it sounds like a major deal, new engine wiring harness, and many other things that make it a major drama. Of course if it's not in a RAM then that probably does simplify things a bit.

anarchydiesel
February 16th, 2012, 03:07 PM
We are doing the same thing with our drag truck currently. there are really only 8 wires that you need, but you will have to have a complete 06-07 ecm and harness to make it work.

GMPX
February 16th, 2012, 03:56 PM
From what I understand the problem is the TIPM (I think that is the right name), it sends some specific messages on the CAN bus to the ECM that of course aren't there on an early chassis.

someguy
March 14th, 2012, 10:32 AM
From what I understand the problem is the TIPM (I think that is the right name), it sends some specific messages on the CAN bus to the ECM that of course aren't there on an early chassis. What is a TIPM ? The throttle position sensor ?

Whatever it is, its not there at all on my FERD ! :laughs:

1FST690
March 14th, 2012, 10:48 AM
TIPM: Totally Integrated Power Module. May or may not need it for your 06 ECM swap, if doing a 6.7L swap it is a must have if you want it to run off of 6.7L electronics