PDA

View Full Version : New with EFI Live need some help

motormadness798
February 19th, 2012, 04:32 AM
alrighty here we go, i have an 05 LLY that i built mainly with all PPE Componets and am very happy with how the truck performs, however i just bought an 03 that had a few things done to it and always looking for more so it has a DSP 5 position switch the previous owner had 4 tunes on the switch and one blank position, they were stock mild lope and hot how do i go about filling that blank position and where or who do i go to to find out what exactly this "hot tune" is, do i have to spend $900 to get the EFI live software and equipment to be able to do this?

joecar
February 19th, 2012, 03:18 PM
Hi MM, I moved your thread to the LLY section for better hits.

And welcome to the forum :cheers:

Ira
February 19th, 2012, 04:46 PM
If you can find out who the original tuner is you might be able to get them to tell you what's there already and add tune in the blank position. Other than that, you can't read a DSP5 tune so you'll either have to have a new tuner give you the 5 tunes you want or buy the software and learn to tune.

Ira

GMC-2002-Dmax
February 20th, 2012, 01:58 AM
You can read the DSP5 tune out if the ecm is not locked, LB7's and LLY's can be read if the tuner did not lock the ecm, LLY/LBZ's and LMM's cannot be read after flashing with DSP5.

You do not have to buy EFI-Live, you can purchase a pre-tuned ecm and swap that one as a core providing it isn't locked and can be re-flashed.

If I can help you out PM me.

Good Luck

motormadness798
February 20th, 2012, 03:10 AM
alrighty i double checked the switch it does infact have 6 positions what does this mean? im a pretty good mechanic and very familiar with diesels and extremely familiar with PPE still a stranger to EFI Live so bare with me and my newbie questions guys. EFI is much more indepth should mean better more precise tuning. ahh yes ... i have a laptop so can i just buy the efi live software and cables to tune or do i need the flashscan tool as well? i would like to become familiar with the software and learn to tune my own vehicles

JustinD
February 20th, 2012, 04:05 AM
I recommend Tony's tuning, I have seen what he can do, he tuned 2 of my buddies LMM trucks, went from fast trucks to unfriggin believable!!!

LB72004
February 20th, 2012, 07:04 AM
alrighty i double checked the switch it does infact have 6 positions what does this mean?

the switch i purchased and installed has 6 positions. i made the 1st and 6th position non-DSP. A DSP tune will only hold 4 additional tunes on top of the base tune (5 total). the 6th position's function, is up to the person who wired it. it could be dead or a copy of one of the other 5. put an ohms meter on it and check the readings, this will tell you what was done

Brian1
February 20th, 2012, 09:25 AM
You will need either the Flashscan V1 or V2 to tune 01-05 Duramax trucks. If you want to tune any 2006 or newer vehicle whether a GM Duramax or other GM gas vehicles you will need to use the Flashscan V2. The Flashscan V1 will not tune anything newer than 2005. Hard to say how the 6 position is wired. Have to disconnect the wires from ECM and read the OHM and see what each position reads. Then one know which amount of resistance is for which position. The tutorial on the EFILive site about DSP for LB7 and LLY descibes the details of the switch.

Brian

killerbee
February 26th, 2012, 03:37 AM
We built some 6 position switches that were double pole. Didn't catch on. The 6th position would be used to enable a 2nd circuit open or closed, for say, enabling a nitrous system. This requires the use of a specially designed 2-pole switch. Lotsaleads.

The likely reason for a 6th position, is incorrect washer limit placement.

dieseldog
August 1st, 2012, 02:50 AM
I an new to efi live but i'm really interested in it I am wanting it on my lmm I want a dsp5 what is the easiest and cheapest way to get it

Brian1
August 1st, 2012, 04:48 AM
Check out some Duramax Diesel Forum sites like Diesel Place and Duramax Diesel. Both have a good EFIlive section. In those you can do a search for say ' best tuner ' and get some names of good tuners. As to what it cost it all varies on what you go with. Some can sell you a pretuned ECM and switch and you change out the ECM but most seem to be not doing this. Most are selling EFILive tuning with the EFILive Autocal hardware so you can flash your own ECM cheaper than buying EFILive full hardware option called the Flashscan V2. The Autocal is pretty much a handheld tuner setup with tunes you desire and have the ability to use it for data logging and code reader. The Autocal is a pretty much like the Flashscan V2 but limited in features that most users would never notice. Also if you go with the Autocal then you can only use tuning from the tuner that sold you the tuning. No other tuner can sell you tunes and allow you to flash them through the Autocal you have. Buying the Flashscan V2 from a tuner and this is not a limit. You can use anyone's tunes. But most go the Autocal route to save nearly 60% in the hardware cost to get going. I have only dealt with one tuner and that was DuramxTuner. You can google the name and get to his website and check out his offers. As a note he sells devices he calls the Jack and Spade. They are Autocal devices and just renames them for his business.

Brian