PDA

View Full Version : Controller type for 03 Denali with 6.0

rsmotors
February 25th, 2012, 10:49 AM
Im having trouble reading the ecu on a 2003 Denali with a 6.0
I'm trying to read it with what it seems to me to be the LS1 B controller. But with no luck. Can someone help please.

Taz
February 25th, 2012, 10:57 AM
Yes it is a 1 Mb LS1-B PCM. Are you trying to BBR or pass through with a Notebook computer ?

Regards,
Taz

rsmotors
February 25th, 2012, 11:02 AM
I have my V2 connected to the OBD port and to my laptop. Same laptop and software I use for tuning my Duramax.

Taz
February 25th, 2012, 11:27 AM
OK ... what message / error do you get when you attempt to read the PCM unsuccessfully ?

Regards,
Taz

rsmotors
February 25th, 2012, 11:39 AM
I don't have the exact message but it asked to check the "Try Alt Key"
And if I had the lock key, to enter it on top. Then if it's locked by another unit, I would need to use the same one to unlock.
I've had a diesel truck do this before. I was able to flash in but not read. Not sure if this is a similar case.

Taz
February 25th, 2012, 01:08 PM
When you click on the "Read calibration data" arrow icon in V7.5 ... in the pop-up screen, select "Try Alt Keys" and "Use high speed" ... then use the "Check status" feature .... if the status is OK ... then try a read. If the status check produces an error ... post the error message(s).

Also, if you have updated the software recently, make sure to update the Bootblock & Firmware in the V2. Worthwhile to program the V2 with all controllers (using V8 software) - just in case the LS1-B controller was not previously programmed - you mentioned Duramax tuning previously.

Regards,
Taz

joecar
February 26th, 2012, 12:53 AM
What V7 and V8 software version are you at...?

Brian1
February 26th, 2012, 04:27 AM
Once you have the latest V7.5 and V8 software and firmware and bootblock all updated I would use the V8 Scan And Tune app and read the Calibraition that way. It will auto detect the ECM and if it still having issues post all info and or screenshots of the display.

Brian

rsmotors
February 27th, 2012, 06:29 AM
I got this message
"Bootloader rejected

Reason:
controlller has returned to normal operation, please retry the operation"

rsmotors
February 27th, 2012, 06:57 AM
with V8 its giving me this message

Executing: C:\Program Files\EFILive\V8\Config\LS1B_R.obj
Virtual Machine Started
Script Loaded
Script Verified
Executing: Boot Loader...
Unlocking: Trying MFG Key...
Unlocking: Trying FS Key 1...
Unlocking: Wait 10 Seconds...
Unlocking: Trying FS Key 2...
Unlocking: Trying ALT Key 1...
Unlocking: Trying ALT Key 2...
Unlocking: Trying ALT Key 3...
Script exited with code $0537: Controller is locked with a custom key.

JustinD
February 27th, 2012, 07:23 AM
Is it locked? Check PCM security.

rsmotors
February 27th, 2012, 07:36 AM
Just ran PCM Security and came out Locked.
Whats my option from here?

rsmotors
February 27th, 2012, 08:48 AM
I don't need to see whats in there. Just want to be able to tune this truck as it now has an added Supercharger.
I'm assuming my options are to remove the ecu and send it somewhere or get another ecu?

rsmotors
February 27th, 2012, 11:43 AM
Found the place who locked it. He wants the ecu shipped to him to unlock.
At the same time I found another at a local salvage yard.
Is there anything on these ECUs that will need to be reprogrammed like immobilizer if I opt to replace it instead. Cost is the same to ship the old one out to get it unlocked or buy another.

Brian1
February 28th, 2012, 10:10 AM
I know this is not the way EFILIve works but if one had the stock tune then even it was locked can a person just full flash a tune to it writing over the locked tune that is in it. That is if full flash support is available for that module. But full flash may not be needed if the OS is the same as the one that is on there. Just would like to know that one can flash a tune over a locked tune on this ECM?

Brian

joecar
February 28th, 2012, 11:29 AM
No, the lock also prevents writing.

rsmotors
March 4th, 2012, 03:51 PM
Just want to update this thread so it becomes useful for some or one.
I ended up buying another ecu from a 2003 Silverado with a 6.0. Read the rom fine, made changes to my fuel injectors and took care of security. Truck fired right up. Made some more changes and started driving on the Dyno. I noticed right away that the truck felt heavy. Like it was in a higher gear to start with. Then noticed that all the shift patterns were wrong. That it was starting in a higher gear then down shift as I went faster in speed(mph).
I figured it was the program in the ecu and tried flashing it with a Yukon map. That didn't work because the OS didn't match. Then I realized it was the trans that were different between two trucks. Yukon with 4l60 and Silverado with a 4l80. I know some of you already knew this but I figure I'd post since I didn't get a warning about it.
For a fix I had to look for a rom with my OS number that uses a 4l60 trans to match the Yukon. Otherwise I'd had to get another ecu, I thought, to match the 6.0 and 4l60 trans.
Right now I'm running the same year silverado rom but a rom for a 5.3 and 4l60 trans. On to tuning tomorrow.
If I have anymore problems, I'll report back.

ScarabEpic22
March 4th, 2012, 06:39 PM
With this controller you can put pretty much any OS and trans in it that you want. If you have a 6L + 4L60E Silverado, use an 03 6L + 4L60E Silverado tune as a baseline. BTW, you need to full flash to change the OSs, plug your FlashScan in then open the tune file and click the BIG red arrow, not the skinny red one.

rsmotors
March 5th, 2012, 01:27 AM
I couldn't find a silverado with 6.0L and 4L60 trans. So you're saying I can do a full flash with a different OS that what's on the ecu now? If that's the case then I will just Reflash it with a base from the Yukon with the right engine and trans.
A simple prompt from this software could've help I guess. Instead of just saying "a calibration Reflash is only permitted when both operating systems are compatible". Why not add " a full Reflash is required"

joecar
March 5th, 2012, 03:48 AM
That error message assumes you're accidentally flashing in the cal from a different OS.

With the 0411 PCM you can full flash any 0411 file that is the same size (i.e. 512KB, 758KB, 1024KB) (you can't mix the file sizes);

also, unless you change the throttle body, you should flash in a file with the same throttle type (DBW or cable);

same with transmission (manual, 4L60E, 4L80E).