PDA

View Full Version : Setting up for first log for calc vet tune.

Laychut
February 26th, 2012, 08:55 PM
Hi I am setting up for my first log for the Calc Vet tune, but I have a question in regards to my injector flow set up.

I have a stock LS1 out of a VZ Calais in my landcrusier. The information I got from the Marks4wd adaptor site suggested that I should run my fuel rail pressure @ 65psi. The holden work shop manual says that the pressure as standard is 59psi. Should I lower my pressure down to 59psi and keep the stock fuel injector flow rate setting or keep it at 65psi and change the fuel injector flow rate setting using the excel sheet that "RedHardSupra" created/found?

Also just to clarify, I do not have to disable my MAF for Calc Vet tuning, do I? Is that only if I was to use the Auto VE method?

Below is my current tune. The only real changes I have made is for the trani. I found that the stock tune was causing a too much flaring between shifts for my liking. I came across a tune from the VZ 2005 Adventura which was an all wheel drive Commodore. I noticed straight away the pressures were higher that my stock tune, so I copy and pasted all of the trani data into my stock tune. The difference in driving was evident right from the start. Now it shifts a lot smoother and does not drop down a gear as easily.

Please note that I have not made any of the adjustments that Shawn the Weatherman sugested in his CALC VET Summary Notes under "Calc Vet tuning tips" to the tune below. I have another copy of this tune that I have made those adjustments to that I will drop in before I start my logging.

Please feel free to scrutinize and provide feedback on any issues/concerns you may have. I am always greatfull for the help!

Cheers,

Laychut
March 1st, 2012, 05:50 AM
Well,
I ended up finding the information I needed about the fuel rail pressure in some earlier threads. I will be dropping my fuel rail pressure down to 58psi. This seems to be the common consensus from the many threads I read.

My logging for my Calc Vet tuning has been put on hold until I can clear a blockage in the pickup for my fuel tank. Be bugged if I know what would be blocking the pick up??? The tank was spotlessly cleaned inside before I fitted the tank. Only time will tell.

I am guessing by the lack of response to my thread that the question I asked about disabling the MAF for the Calc Vet logging was a dumb one. I am going to go with not disabling the MAF until I am otherwise corrected.

Cheers,

joecar
March 1st, 2012, 06:14 AM
Hi Laychut,

The IFR tables are usually for rail pressure set to 58 psi.

Let me know when you find the cause of the blockage.

During Calc.VET the MAF is enabled, and the VE is disabled (set the dynamic airflow threshold to 400 rpm, see table B0120).

Calc.VET:
- MAF is corrected from wideband BEN (which is the ratio of commanded fueling to measured fueling);
- VE is calculated from newly corrected MAF.

i.e. the entity being corrected must be enabled, the entity being calculated can be disabled.

joecar
March 1st, 2012, 06:17 AM
I somehow missed this thread, sorry about that, when this happens just bump the thread with any new info (like you did).

:)

Laychut
April 10th, 2012, 05:33 AM
Hi, I got my blockage issue all sort and I have fitted my LC1 O2 sensor. I have hooked up my LC1 in serial thanks to a cable from TAQuickness.

I have some more question before I start logging.

When logging should I be driving around on the straight and level or should I also go up a few hills as well to load up the engine?

Also to get the higher RPMs is it ok to keep it in a low gear say first or second? Is this going to give me the correct data?

Cheers,
Laychut

joecar
April 10th, 2012, 06:41 AM
To get "good" data you have to keep as steady as possible in all ranges (which is next to impossible)...

you want operate the throttle in a progressive smooth manner and keep it steady for as long as you can;

you want some light load cruising, some medium load, some hard load...

to achieve some of those hills help, as does dragging the brakes for a few seconds;

it is possible to get a log containing good data that covers your operating range in 30 minutes of selected driving;

but above all else, keep safe and legal.

( this is why using a dyno to load the engine makes tuning easier )

The lower gears are going to allow the engine to blast past each cell much quicker (i.e. fewer cell hit counts on cells below WOT).

Then once you have a log, apply the transient filter (which filters out data where throttle and airmass were changing too quickly), and hide cells with low counts (try 10 as the trheshold).

Post up some pics of the BEN maps.

Laychut
April 14th, 2012, 01:51 AM
Hi,
I have been doing some test logs and I have a question. I noticed that the VE table has more numbers behind the decimal point i.e. 1.9883 where my map in the scan tool only has 1 digit i.e. 1.9.

Is there a way to change this to look the same as the VE table?

Does this effect the accuracy of the the data?

Cheers,
Laychut

joecar
April 14th, 2012, 05:37 PM
tunetool: on the toolbar there is a button labelled +.00, click this a few times to increase the decimal precision.
scantool: go into map properties, and on the Data tab there is a precision field, enter say 4.

Laychut
April 19th, 2012, 02:12 PM
Hi,
Attached is my first Calc Vet log. I would appreciate it if some one could have a look at it and ensure I did it correctly before I go changing my tune.

I have also attached the tune I had loaded at the time of the log. I had modified this with the adjustments that Shawn the Weatherman sugested in his CALC VET Summary Notes under "Calc Vet tuning tips".

12965, 12966

Cheers,
Laychut

joecar
April 19th, 2012, 04:05 PM
It looks like the Calc.VET will lower the low portion of the MAF and raise the middle of the VE (you will have to fill in the gaps by hand (i.e. the cells that are unchanged, no blue dogears)).

I'm surprised it's modifying your VE so much... what mods do you have...?

When you log, can you operate the throttle more progressive/steady (if possible), this will cause the transient filter to retain more data.

Getting some knock (KR shows sawtooth pattern, so it probably is real detonation knock).

joecar
April 19th, 2012, 04:09 PM
Apply those maps (paste VET into B0101, paste-multply SELBEN into B5001), and take another log on the new tune file...

we expect to see convergence (i.e. VE and MAF should not change very much).

Laychut
April 19th, 2012, 08:00 PM
Hi Joecar,
I have only added extractors so it would fit into my Lancruiser easier. I have also fitted an air cleaner that allows more air through than a stock air cleaner. Apart from this the engine is as it came out of a VZ 2005 Holden Calais. I have no need to modify the engine given that as stock it has 3 times the power as my old 2H diesel engine. I would imagine that the engine would be working a bit harder to push the Cruiser around since it is heavier and shaped like a brick.

I will paste the maps and log as suggested. Now do I paste these into my original tune or the one I have modified for the the Calc Vet logging?

Once I have update the maps should I reset the LTFT Trims as per Shawn the weathermans Calc Vet Sumary or wait until I have ran another couple of logs?

Cheers,
Laychut

joecar
April 20th, 2012, 02:38 AM
Open your original tune, then do File->Save As and in the pop up you will notice it appends _0000 to the filename... click Ok;

notice that your file is now named xxxx_0000.tun, from now on you will be saving to this file or its successors (_0001, _0002, etc);

each time you do Save As it will increment the successor number.

(Save As also has a button next to the Open and Save buttons).

joecar
April 20th, 2012, 02:39 AM
You can reset the trims, or you can set the option in the tunetool to clear the trims each time you flash.

joecar
April 20th, 2012, 02:42 AM
The vehicle placing an increased load on the engine might explain the increase in VE...

I would go ahead and paste the VE and paste-multiply the MAF, do Save As, do Cal Only Flash, and then take a log using this new tune, look at the new numbers and decide what to do.

Laychut
April 20th, 2012, 06:12 PM
Hi,
I think I am getting a little confused. Following Shawn the weatherman's Calc Vet Summary notes I applied the following to my then current tune.

III. CALC.VET Tuning Tips

1. B0701: Disable Catalytic Converter Protection
Insures accurate stoich and PE mode/WOT Fueling

2. B0120: Change RPM Threshold for Airflow Calculation from 4000 to 400
Eliminates any Airflow Correction from the VE Table

3. B3308: Disable DFCO: Change B3308 (M6) to 140C Change B3313 to 140C
Accurate fueling computations

4. B4105: O2 Switch-points to 450 Millivolts
Smoother MAF & VE Table

5. B3618: PE Modifier Based on Rpm (EQ): 1.16
Safe adequate Fueling regardless of Fuel Type

6. B3616: PE Enable: make sure PE enables as load becomes significant
(e.g. below 60% TP below 3200 rpm, 35% TP above 3200 rpm).

7. B3608 and B3609: PE Delay: set these to zeros.

So do I keep these changes permanently?

My current perception is that I am meant to run two tunes.

One that has the above changes applied and is continually updated with the corrected MAF and VE table. This is used for all Calc Vet logging.

The second is my original tune that has been continually updated with the corrected MAF and VE table. This does not have the above changes. This is will end up as my final tune and is used to quantify the changes to the MAF and VE Tables.

Is my perception correct or am I over complicating this process

Cheers,
Laychut

joecar
April 21st, 2012, 06:52 PM
Those changes are for use tuning tuning...

however, some of those are good for always, namely 4, 5, 6, 7.

So you would apply 1-7 of the above, proceed to tune VE/MAF, then when finished tuning revert/undo 1, 2, 3

(i.e. so your new tune consists of updated VE and MAF, plus 4, 5, 6, 7).

Laychut
April 23rd, 2012, 08:22 PM
Hi,
I have completed some more logging and have added the data to the VE Table and the MAF table of a new Calc Vet tune.

I have attached my log and the tunes before and after adding data and smoothing.

I would appreciate it if someone could have a look at this and comment on how it is looking.

12997 - Before

12998 - After

Cheers,
Laychut

joecar
April 24th, 2012, 06:32 AM
I'll look later today...

can you also post screenshots of the scantool maps.

Laychut
April 24th, 2012, 02:31 PM
Hi Joecar,
Below are the screen shots of the Maps and the PID list I used.

13007 13008 13009 13010

Thanks,
Laychut

joecar
April 24th, 2012, 03:04 PM
Wow, that came out pretty good, MAF was already good, VE table also pretty close...

joecar
April 24th, 2012, 03:09 PM
Before you do a WOT pull, check your B3618 PE table, it is too lean, EQR 0.862... you will want to change this to EQR 1.16 or EQR 1.165;

check which fueling units you're using in the tunetool (Edit->Properties->Commanded Fuel Values) set it to EQR, and then restart the tunetool, then edit B3618 as above.

Also, you might want to copy B3616 to B3615 (B3615 is too restrictive down low).

joecar
April 24th, 2012, 03:09 PM
After your B3618 is set to a safe value, do a WOT pull and see what the maps show.

Laychut
April 24th, 2012, 05:32 PM
After your B3618 is set to a safe value, do a WOT pull and see what the maps show.

Hi joecar,
I just wanted to clarify what you mean by WOT pull. Is that pushing your foot to the floor and waiting for the engine to catch up?

At the moment when I do this the engine flutters as if it does not have the fuel or air flow to pull through. If I progressively feed the throttle I have heaps of power. I was hoping this would be eliminated once my tune was adjusted to suit my setup.

Would this be because of the low EQR on B3618? Now that I have raised the value of this should my WOT Pulls be a lot more responsive?

Cheers,
Laychut

BLK02WS6
April 24th, 2012, 10:29 PM
You need to look at the log (map) like Joe says and find out what it shows when it "flutters"... Yes, WOT means on the floor - but if it is not running smoothly when you do that, dont stay in it long - just long enough to see some data to determine which way it is going... Post up the log.

joecar
April 25th, 2012, 03:02 AM
Edit B3618 to make the PE EQR safely rich, and then do what BLK02WS6 said.

( the cause may be B3618 being lean at EQR 0.86... but it's best to not assume anything, it's best to take a log and analyze it )

Laychut
April 25th, 2012, 03:26 AM
Hi Joecar,

Should I keep using the Calc Vet PIDs or should I log some other PIDs when logging the flutter?

joecar
April 25th, 2012, 03:41 AM
You might need SPARKADV, IBPW1, IBPW2... you can remove MAFFREQ, DYNAIRTMP_DMA, CYLAIR_DMA.

Laychut
April 25th, 2012, 08:29 PM
Hi,
I have completed a WOT log and also a log that captures the flutter with the extra PIDs we wanted to monitor.

WOT Log - 13024

I used the Calc Vet PIDs for this log. I had increased the EQR on B3618 to 1.16 as suggested.
While carrying out the WOT logging, the fluttering was a lot better. I only noticed it once. The engine seems a lot more responsive.

Flutter Log - 13025

I deliberately made it flutter. I am starting to think that maybe the shift points for the kick down is set too high or something. I can alway get it too happen when I am in 4th gear and sitting on 100kms. If I plant my foot it will flutter until it gets to 110kms and then it will downshit to 3rd. Once it is in 3rd it powers away.

I have also noticed the same beween 2nd and 3rd on occasions.

Current tune - 13026

I thought I would post the current tune I have loaded.

Cheers,

Laychut

joecar
April 26th, 2012, 05:42 AM
I'll analyze your logs thru-out the day...

joecar
April 26th, 2012, 03:51 PM
Ok, the Calc Vet WOT log shows a correction to the upper range of the MAF, and shows VE differing in quite a few places... there are very few places where SELBEN is close to 1.00...

is the Cal Vet Tuning 0003 file before or after applying the maps from the Calc Vet WOT log...?

Laychut
April 26th, 2012, 07:28 PM
Hi Joecar,
I have not added the data from the Calc Vet WOT log. I wanted to get some feedback on the log before I modified my current tune.

Cheers,

Laychut

joecar
April 27th, 2012, 02:34 AM
Ok, I would go ahead and apply the maps, take another log and see what the resulting maps look like...

(your previous B3605 had low EQR in the middle-to-high operating region, I think this may be the reason for the big difference).

Laychut
April 27th, 2012, 04:10 PM
Hi Joecar,
What do you think about my theory for the flutter I mentioned in Post 29? Do you think it could possibly be that the RPMs could be too low for the selected gear that is causing the flutter?

joecar
April 28th, 2012, 08:58 AM
It sounds plausible... edit edit the TCC apply/release and the PT up/down shift tables to prevent the engine from lugging...

it may also mean that fueling and/or spark isn't quite right at high load low rpm.