PDA

View Full Version : No crank-kick back- backfire

chevy-powahz
March 4th, 2012, 04:30 AM
Hard crank-no start-backfire-grinding of starter-motor binding up-

Replaced the crankshaft position sensor-

But at this point the same symptoms happen unless the #8 plug wire is off the plug. In which case it will just crank right up. Any ideas?

slows10
March 4th, 2012, 04:38 AM
Is this a v6 or v8 vortec? What year? What application? Modifications? Post tune. You left out alot of info. Is the starter good? Battery? Edit, sorry I see it is a V8.

chevy-powahz
March 4th, 2012, 05:27 AM
Is this a v6 or v8 vortec? What year? What application? Modifications? Post tune. You left out alot of info. Is the starter good? Battery? Edit, sorry I see it is a V8.

Sorry-

99 vortec 5.7- no mods-and yes new starter- precission mounted.

joecar
March 4th, 2012, 07:40 AM
Check for clogged cats and for crank/cam timing.

docjones804
March 11th, 2012, 02:50 PM
My truck did the same thing. after beating myself up i found that a simple high quality cap and rotor cured it. It actually started binding during cranking, surging, missing like crazy...... about 20 miles after I replace the cap and rotor. after i went and purchased the Delco set it was fine. the cap will fail and allow for cross firing between cylinders through the inside of the distributor cap. I always carry a spare now for this very reason and never buy the off brands any more. same goes for my boat that did the identical thing as well.
Good luck.

docjones804
March 13th, 2012, 12:45 PM
check the dist cap. we had three in a row do exactly the same thing that your describing right out of the box. they can crossfire internally.