PDA

View Full Version : Cummins Pid list

Chadsix
March 4th, 2012, 08:59 AM
I just got my V2 yesterday and notice there is no Cummins 5.9 pid folder. So i cannot load the Pids I need for Datalogging. I tried re downloading the efi software but still not in my files. Is there any way i can get this? Do I need it emailed to me. Im extremely dissapointed that this did not come with anything to get anyone started... Any help would be appreciated.....Thank you

06redram
March 4th, 2012, 09:12 AM
Did u connect EFI and laptop to the truck and read the ECM

GMPX
March 4th, 2012, 09:15 AM
When you are in the scantool do you remember needing to select the ECM type? For you, it needs to be 'CMB CM849 Cummins Diesel ECM'.
There is a quick start guide for new Cummins users, it can be downloaded here:
http://content.efilive.com/documents/EFILive%20Dodge%20Cummins%20Quick%20Start.pdf
This covers all aspects of the software, reading/flashing the ECM, editing and scantool.

Chadsix
March 4th, 2012, 09:24 AM
yes i have already hooked to the truck and got my stock tune out and have been changing things. Ill read through this quick start. Switching between this scan and tune and scan and all these programs to do differen things is very confusing and frustrating. Im a little discouraged at this point and may be for sale here shortly

DoghouseDiesel
March 4th, 2012, 09:42 AM
Sounds like someone was expecting plug and play simplicity.

This is one of those cases of the carpenter blaming his tools.

comnrailpwr
March 4th, 2012, 11:15 AM
Exactly, might try reading about a product before you buy. Good chance is if you are confused and discouraged from tuning and scanning then you dont need to be messing with any parameters anyways. Just my $.02

DODGE74
March 4th, 2012, 12:08 PM
yes i have already hooked to the truck and got my stock tune out and have been changing things. Ill read through this quick start. Switching between this scan and tune and scan and all these programs to do differen things is very confusing and frustrating. Im a little discouraged at this point and may be for sale here shortly

PM me your price if you decide to let it go.

Rich, your a mess. :funnypost:

Chadsix
March 4th, 2012, 12:13 PM

lol... No not at all did i think iut would be easy just thought it should come with a stich of information on how to open it up and use it. Ive been a class 8 truck tech for over 15 years and now the Service manager at a KW dealer. This is def above my level of expertice but I will work with it and get it going. I am not by any means blaming efi live this is a great tool but alot to know just off the bat to send a box with nothing to instruct in it is a little off to me buyt whatever... I just dont understand how well you know this system. How did you learn it all? I know who you are and i hear good things about you online. So I just wanted to clear this up So you didnt think Im some dumb kid with Daddies money. Just a little new to me. I thought i new engines till now lol

06redram
March 4th, 2012, 12:28 PM
Go to the tool bar tab on top that says help click it open. There are a lot of PDF files with great info on how to get started. GOOD LUCK into EFI Tech World. I started 8 months ago still learning and having blast of a good time with my better than new truck. Thanks to EFI and all the guys on this forum (KW) and all the beta testers thats here helping all the newbies

DODGE74
March 4th, 2012, 12:54 PM
Here is a link to some GREAT info that Rich has made.

Its a wonderful tool for the tuning newbs.

Its a sticky at the top of the 5.9 forum page.

http://forum.efilive.com/showthread.php?18117-EFILive-for-Dummies-How-to-guides

DoghouseDiesel
March 4th, 2012, 02:41 PM
Well, as far as information goes, EFILive is about as forthcoming as one could want.

There are more tutorials, DIY's and tips with this software than any other tuning "tool" in this market. All one has to do is ask.

If EFILive was to try and provide a set of hard copy instrctions with the FlashScan, it would rival most college biology books....especially to cover the functions in every platform the software covers.

Nobody came here an expert, quite the contrary. But, most came here with a question, not just throwing their hands in the air and wanting to sell the product because it didn't come with all inclusive, hard-copy instructions.

I'm not saying this to be an azz, but I can tell you this.....if setting up the PID's is frustrating, you're in for a real treat when you try your hand at tuning.

My suggestion is this....I would sell it OR I'd let someone else do the tuning. Why? It takes a certain level of finese and patience to use and with the way you seem (and I certainly could be wrong, it wouldn't be a first), I'm willing to bet that it will become an under-utilized paper weight. OR you could prove me wrong and take the time to learn the software.

Just my .02

Chadsix
March 4th, 2012, 03:24 PM
Doghouse.... You have some valid points and are spot on some of your predictions. I donr by any meams was stating it should have come with instructions on how to build a tune or any of that information. I was stating that it could have come with a basic what to download and how to use the scan and tune and the flash system in general speaking. Im by no means a novice whem it comes to conputers or ecms. Thats what i was trying to say. I new this would be complex. Amd yes i am a tune a go kind of guy. I just wanted something smoother and more linear than my smarty "box tune" has to offer. I do in fact have a professional writing me a tune amd will go from there. I have doenloaded your "gift tune" and have been studying what changes you have made. I will also do the same with the tune i habe written for me. Then i will procede to learn and do ot myself. I guess coming from the extensive truck backround and the complex muiltiplexing systems that i thought i would say im an expert in. I guess it just took me down a notch and discouraged me for a second. But your words of wisdom have inspired me to not be a pussy and learn like the rest of you have.... And for that i thank you

Chadsix
March 4th, 2012, 03:26 PM
I typed this with a cell phone with a busted screen so i do appologize for the off spelling and questionable grammer lol

DoghouseDiesel
March 4th, 2012, 03:49 PM
Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to discourage you by any means, I just would have tried to see what you really wanted to do with the truck and how involved in the tuning process you wanted to be.

If you want someone else to do the tuning, I would have suggested AutoCal. That still gives you the data logging features, but it doesn't have the associated price tag of the full blown FlashScan.

Its always better to have a customer get a product that meets their needs vs one that may exceed their capabilities and leave them frustrated with the whole expeience. Its like learning to fly, you don't start in a 747, right?

I'll tell ya flat out, when I first started messing with it I was up until about 4 in the morning for about 3 weeks just figuring it all out. It takes time.

triton
March 5th, 2012, 12:36 AM
Doghouse.... You have some valid points and are spot on some of your predictions. I donr by any meams was stating it should have come with instructions on how to build a tune or any of that information. I was stating that it could have come with a basic what to download and how to use the scan and tune and the flash system in general speaking. Im by no means a novice whem it comes to conputers or ecms. Thats what i was trying to say. I new this would be complex. Amd yes i am a tune a go kind of guy. I just wanted something smoother and more linear than my smarty "box tune" has to offer. I do in fact have a professional writing me a tune amd will go from there. I have doenloaded your "gift tune" and have been studying what changes you have made. I will also do the same with the tune i habe written for me. Then i will procede to learn and do ot myself. I guess coming from the extensive truck backround and the complex muiltiplexing systems that i thought i would say im an expert in. I guess it just took me down a notch and discouraged me for a second. But your words of wisdom have inspired me to not be a pussy and learn like the rest of you have.... And for that i thank you

On your own..... there's a LOT to absorb. Having a good working knowledge of windows software and programs like Excel is a big help. Reading the instructions and watching the tutorials is a MUST.

My suggestion to you, find one of the EFI tuners out there and build a relationship with them. Most, are willing to help you learn and it will give you someone to go to in times of discouragement. It may cost you a little cash but, that's the name of the game. You've already got a taste of the complexity, imagine the work some of the tuners have done to build a quality tune. Good luck !