PDA

View Full Version : External analog in puts not functional, external thermocouple inputs functional

rkorns
March 6th, 2012, 11:58 AM
Our V2 external analog(AN1 -AN4)inputs don't display any voltage in V7.5 software or V2 hardware(although this is the first time we've tried to use them period). We have verified voltage at the terminals and the external thermocouple inputs work.

Any Ideas what could cause this?

joecar
March 6th, 2012, 01:05 PM
Is your V2 connected to the vehicle OBD2 connector...?

How did you wire each AD+/- pair...?

rkorns
March 7th, 2012, 04:01 AM
Hi Joe,

It is connected to the DLC(OBD2) and the connector has verified 12V B+.

How did you wire each AD+/- pair...?

AD is wired according to pin diagram on unit + = 0-5V signal, - = signal ground

Ross

rkorns
March 7th, 2012, 06:07 AM
Hi Joe,

Yes, and +12v has been verified

[QUOTE=How did you wire each AD+/- pair...?[/QUOTE]

Per diagram on V2 unit (+ = signal, - = signal ground)

Ross

rkorns
March 7th, 2012, 10:25 AM
V2 is connected to the OBD and +12v verified

AD is wired per labeling on unit + = signal (0v-5v), - = signal ground.

joecar
March 7th, 2012, 02:28 PM
I pm'd Tech Support.

Blacky
March 7th, 2012, 02:35 PM
Assuming you're running recent firmware...
To verify the raw A/D counts being read by the AD inputs, you can put the V2 into a hidden diagnostic mode like this:
F4 Options -> F4 Self Tests -> F4 (Hidden Option)

It will ask you to connect a second V2 device, ignore that and just press Ok.

The second last line of the display will show 4 numbers. Those are (from left to right) the 4 A/D input raw A/D counts.
If they are not changing between around 500 with a 0-5V swing then there is a hardware fault.
If they are changing then you may need to recalibrate the inputs. To do that use the EFILive Control panel (aka EFILive_HAPI.exe).

Important note: The A/D inputs only function when 12V is supplied via the RJ45 (OBDII) connector.

Regards
Paul

joecar
March 7th, 2012, 03:31 PM
Hi Ross/rkorns,

what V2 firmware version are you at...?

make sure you have the latest software/firmware, see V7 build 180 and V8 build 170 here: EFIlive software downloads (http://www.efilive.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=48&Itemid=133)

V8 software comes with updated firmware that you have to flash into your V2.

rkorns
March 8th, 2012, 05:25 AM
@Blacky: the second to last line with the 4 numbers alternate between 0 & 1 for all 4 regardless of the voltage applied (0 through 5V), so I guess there must be a hardware fault.

@Joecar: running V7.5.7 build 180. bootlock/firmware show V2.07.03/2.07.22.

Thanks you guys very much for your assistance,

Ross

Blacky
March 8th, 2012, 07:19 AM
It will do exactly that when you don't have 12V powering FlashScan via the RJ45 connector. So make sure it is plugged into a vehicle when you test the A/D inputs.
If you definitely had FlashScan powered from the vehicle via the OBDII/RJ45 connector then yes it is probably a hardware fault.

One thing that concerns me is that all 4 A/D inputs exhibit the same behavior. AD1/AD2 share a common circuit and AD3/AD4 share a different common circuit. I would have expected either a single A/D to have failed or a pair of A/D circuits to fail but not all 4 at the same time.

Regards
Paul

@Blacky: the second to last line with the 4 numbers alternate between 0 & 1 for all 4 regardless of the voltage applied (0 through 5V), so I guess there must be a hardware fault.

@Joecar: running V7.5.7 build 180. bootlock/firmware show V2.07.03/2.07.22.

Thanks you guys very much for your assistance,

Ross

Blacky
March 8th, 2012, 07:21 AM
One last thing to try is upgrading to RC9 available here:
http://forum.efilive.com/showthread.php?18430-Release-Candidate-9-Feb-09-2012
And programming in the updated boot block (V2.07.04) and updated firmware V2.07.23.
Note: after installing V8 and updating the boot block and firmware, you will also need to download the firmware attached to that post and install that - it fixes issue #5 listed in that post.

Regards
Paul

jah81592
July 13th, 2012, 01:02 AM
Assuming you're running recent firmware...
To verify the raw A/D counts being read by the AD inputs, you can put the V2 into a hidden diagnostic mode like this:
F4 Options -> F4 Self Tests -> F4 (Hidden Option)

It will ask you to connect a second V2 device, ignore that and just press Ok.

The second last line of the display will show 4 numbers. Those are (from left to right) the 4 A/D input raw A/D counts.
If they are not changing between around 500 with a 0-5V swing then there is a hardware fault.
If they are changing then you may need to recalibrate the inputs. To do that use the EFILive Control panel (aka EFILive_HAPI.exe).

Important note: The A/D inputs only function when 12V is supplied via the RJ45 (OBDII) connector.

Regards
Paul

Paul,

Would you please delve into the procedure for this? I have read the manual and there aren't any clear instructions for calibrating the analog inputs. I have a new v2 which isn't reporting the same raw voltage as the output of the wideband. For example, if i have 1.5 volts from the wideband output I am seeing 1.0 through the scan software raw voltage. Help please.

joecar
July 13th, 2012, 01:45 AM
You set a known voltage on the inputs, click calibrate/offset (I don't remember the name of the button, it's been a long time), then save it.

I'll have to take a look myself and get back to you.

What will you be using the analog inputs for...? If you have a serial-capable wideband then you should be using serial-comms.

ls1mike
July 14th, 2012, 02:07 AM
I also would like more information about analog calibration, I clicked the calibrate button and no longer can read proper data from that port. My truck's wideband outputs in analog, I worked out a formula that works for it though.