PDA

View Full Version : BMW Vin in LS1 Computer?

V8Z4
March 8th, 2012, 05:05 AM
So it seems people with EFILive have been able to, for example, stick a V6 F-body Vin into a V8 F-body computer.

Well, I need to go further. I'm doing an LS1 swap into a 2003 BMW Z4 and am trying to figure out how to approach getting around the OBDII scan for emissions. If EFILive will let a person change the Vin to say a V6 F-body, it would seem logical that I could enter my BMW's Vin. It's just a number, nothing more or less (for what it matters on a OBDII scan) right? I downloaded the program and was able to enter the Vin.

Thanks,
Chris

joecar
March 8th, 2012, 08:00 AM
Hi Chris,

I think it should work as long as the check digit is correct...

You were able to write your VIN in using the scantool, is that what you did...?

Now try reading the VIN using the scantool OBD tab and see what it says.

I pm'd Tech Support for guidance.

Blacky
March 8th, 2012, 08:24 AM
You can set the VIN to whatever you like. It does not affect the operation of the LS1 PCM.
Regards
Paul

Blacky
March 8th, 2012, 08:26 AM
One thing to watch out for is that earlier versions of the EFILive software used the first 3 digits of the VIN to determine if the controller was a GM controller or not.
If the first 3 digits of the VIN indicated a GM vehicle then the GM enhanced PIDs for the Scan Tool would be loaded and made available for logging, otherwise they would not be.

Later versions of the software do not have that problem.

Regards
Paul

V8Z4
March 8th, 2012, 09:15 AM
One thing to watch out for is that earlier versions of the EFILive software used the first 3 digits of the VIN to determine if the controller was a GM controller or not.
If the first 3 digits of the VIN indicated a GM vehicle then the GM enhanced PIDs for the Scan Tool would be loaded and made available for logging, otherwise they would not be.

Later versions of the software do not have that problem.

Regards
Paul

I'd be buying the latest EFILive version. I have only ever used LS1Edit (1st tuning program I had) and HPtuners (current) so I'm not exactly sure what all I need.

Blacky
March 8th, 2012, 09:33 AM
I'd be buying the latest EFILive version. I have only ever used LS1Edit (1st tuning program I had) and HPtuners (current) so I'm not exactly sure what all I need.

To scan, log, read and tune an LS1 controller you just need FlashScan with the GM tuning option:
http://www.efilive.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage_EFILive.tpl&product_id=63&category_id=11&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=54

If you want to hook up a supported wideband O2 controller via FlashScan's serial interface you will most likely need one of these:
http://www.efilive.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage_EFILive.tpl&product_id=69&category_id=7&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=54

Supported wide band controllers are listed here:
http://www.efilive.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=138&Itemid=143

Other than that, that's all you'll need.

Regards
Paul

V8Z4
March 9th, 2012, 10:04 AM
Guess I'll be going with Option 2. Thanks Paul.

Question: Does EFILive do any kind of "discount" for a person who turns in their old tuning software (ie: I send in my old HPTuners cables)? When I went to HPTuners years ago, I sent them my old LS1Edit stuff and they knocked off a bit.

Blacky
March 9th, 2012, 10:41 AM
Guess I'll be going with Option 2. Thanks Paul.

Question: Does EFILive do any kind of "discount" for a person who turns in their old tuning software (ie: I send in my old HPTuners cables)? When I went to HPTuners years ago, I sent them my old LS1Edit stuff and they knocked off a bit.

No, we don't offer any discounts for cross-grading from other products.

Regards
Paul

V8Z4
March 9th, 2012, 10:43 AM
Thanks Paul, figured I'd ask.

Chris