PDA

View Full Version : 2004 GMC 6.0 4L80E & manual Transfer into 1978 Ford F-100...Trans????'s

GAMEOVER
March 11th, 2012, 03:43 PM
Everything went in smooth, got the 4X4 low & Hi working...motor is plenty for off-roading, sand duning e.t.c
Finally got it on the freeway and that's when Problems started happening... The original HD truck came with 29" tall tires with 4.10 rear/front gears, the Ford F-100 has 32" tall tires with 3.50 gears...For some reason it won't stay in overdrive, it keeps downshifting to 3rd gear, sometimes into 2nd gear...If I manually shift thru the gears it shifts really good, but if I put it in drive and let it shift by itself, the tranny hesitates from 2nd to 3rd and to 4th. In the tune, I made changes in the speedo calculator that it has 3.50 gears and 32" tall tires but didn't fix the downshifting or hesitation...
A buddy of mine told me my problem is the Torque Converter apply and release speeds? Could it be? I have never adjusted the TCC at all....:unsure:
The transmission only has 47,000 original miles

Any help or guidance will be appreciated...

turbo_bu
March 12th, 2012, 04:28 AM
This may be a stupid question, but you said you adjusted the speedometer, but did you also adjust the shift speed tables? Those speeds will still be off since they were originally choosen based on the 29" tall tire and 4.10's.

tokymon
March 12th, 2012, 07:59 AM
in the speedo calculator you can go to a tab that says shift point correction make sure to hit apply the also

GAMEOVER
March 12th, 2012, 08:26 AM
I've never used the shift point correction, Just tire height and rear end gear ratio....Opened up the tune set tire height and gear ratio back to stock, also added new tire height and gear ratio's, I hit the apply button and it pretty much changed everything that I needed....:cool:

GAMEOVER
March 14th, 2012, 11:57 AM
Didn't work....Well i guess tranny is going to an expert!....:D

Taz
March 14th, 2012, 01:00 PM
Hello Gameover,

Sorry to hear it didn't work out. Post (or send me) the tune if you want - sometimes a second pair of eyes picks up something initially overlooked.

Regards,
Taz

GAMEOVER
March 14th, 2012, 01:28 PM
Ok here's the file, this is after the shift point correction that EFI Live does...

Taz
March 14th, 2012, 02:05 PM
Hello Gameover,

Some of the part throttle downshift speeds were greater than their corresponding upshift speeds - this would make the shifts erratic at best. Give the attached tune a try - it uses stock 2002 LQ4 4L80 shift speeds - adjusted for 32 inch tires and 3.50 gears. No other changes were made to the tune.

Regards,
Taz

tokymon
March 14th, 2012, 02:40 PM
There's a spreadsheet on here for shift points you can map upshift and down shift as well as tcc lock and unlock .
I'm not home to post it but just search you should find it

GAMEOVER
April 1st, 2012, 02:05 AM
We'll after 2 weeks of diagnosing and a semi-rebuild of tranny...I figured out what it was...

joecar
April 1st, 2012, 04:04 AM
We'll after 2 weeks of diagnosing and a semi-rebuild of tranny...I figured out what it was...Glad you found it, what was it...?

GAMEOVER
April 1st, 2012, 05:16 PM
The Autometer Electronic Speedometer was playing havoc with the VSS signal of the transmission when connected per Autometer instructions. I disconnected Speedo and tranny worked like a charm. I thought it might be vss sensor but with a new sensor in it, did the exact same thing! At this point i thought it might be a ground so I disconnected speedo entirely and reconnected using it's own ground, power & light source and vss signal and NOPE, same thing erractic tranny shifting!
So for the time being, it's a bad speedo...