PDA

View Full Version : Progress Update: Dyno Run

2006Cummins
March 20th, 2012, 04:12 AM
Made a couple of dyno runs at the ITD dyno day this weekend. I'm about where I wanted to be for power, but still have some work to do. I was hoping to get a good video of the run to watch smoke, but forgot to ask someone to film it. Fortunately someone did record it, but the smoke is hard to see. Up to about 18psi it is 99% smoke free. At about 22+psi there is still more smoke than I like. Here is the graph:

I'd like to say thanks to Adrenaline Truck Performance, Silver Bullet Tuning, and all of you here. I have learned a lot with efi over the past 6 months.

Mike

2007 5.9
March 20th, 2012, 08:36 AM
Who's tune was this with??

Was this a load cell dyno??

And using a correction factor on a boosted application is incorrect...unless you are comparing runs from different atmospheric conditions.

2006Cummins
March 20th, 2012, 06:10 PM
Hi, Les.

Who's tune was this with??
It started out as the first tune you sent me, and I have made 53 revisions to it since then.

Was this a load cell dyno??
No, it was a dynojet 248c

And using a correction factor on a boosted application is incorrect...unless you are comparing runs from different atmospheric conditions.
With my dyno experience I would agree that correction factors can be misleading, and that I usually prefer uncorrected numbers, but I wouldn't be as bold as to say that using them in a boosted application is completely incorrect. As I'm sure you know it's all about using the same dyno for measuring changes, and this is the local dyno that I can use for that purpose. You can run on 7 different dynos and get 7 different numbers - I've done it. I take all dyno numbers with a grain of salt, and I can see that you do as well. :)

The main challenge that I am now facing is that I have been ramping in fuel slowly so that there isn't any smoke during daily driving and moderate acceleration situations. That leaves a fair amount of duration to transition in, and not a lot of time to do it, resulting in heavier mid/upper end smoke.

2007 5.9
March 21st, 2012, 12:47 AM
The main challenge that I am now facing is that I have been ramping in fuel slowly so that there isn't any smoke during daily driving and moderate acceleration situations. That leaves a fair amount of duration to transition in, and not a lot of time to do it, resulting in heavier mid/upper end smoke.

Agreed....either way congrats on the super flat power curve and decent power. as you know I have experimented with many different dyno's and combonations of dyno's, and your numbers while slightly low for a DJ...if you were to be on a load based dyno with proper load characteristics, then I'd be willing to venture a guess of approx a 25-30hp increase over your current numbers. Back in th eday with my Super B Special, Smarty and no pressure box...650-665hp was the usual Id see. With my MP-8 at 75% and with the addition of the cam...I was able to push that to the 689hp in my sig...and that was on 90hp injectors. So Id say that your combo is doing quite well...

Congrats and keep plugging away at it. I know that we can all have our cake and eat it too!!!

2006Cummins
March 21st, 2012, 03:19 AM
Thanks. I'm really looking forward to switchable tuning so that we can try a few things during one quick dyno session. Again, thanks for your help.