PDA

View Full Version : Max timing for dd

Chadsix
March 27th, 2012, 01:21 AM
I saw the other post about timing but doesnt answer my question. Im logging almost 24 degrees of timing in the upper power range. Is this safe for a daily driving tune? I know i exploded my head gasket on my 12v pulling truck with 22 degrees. I know this is a totaly different animal. Im just tryimg to build a nice daily driving power tune and im seeing almost 1300 degrees egt on a hard pull and i see my cylinder temps/pressures being through the roof with that much timing. So if you could give me some advise if this timing seems ok ok to you guys. Thanks for any help

anarchydiesel
March 27th, 2012, 08:47 AM
24 should be fine, different people have different limits in regards to timing. I know that Les (silver bullet tuning) has stated that he will not go above 25 without being on a dyno so you should be fine. I run as much as 30 degrees on a hot tune for a street truck but that is my current upper limit. Where you are running high timing is extremely important you don't want to run a lot of timing at low rpm for obvious reasons, but not running enough at higher RPMs can be harmful as well. The truck will let you know if you do something really out of whack. If you don't care posting, what duration are you running when you see the 24 degrees?

TexasCummins
March 27th, 2012, 10:49 AM
I max my timing out around 24* and logged maxing around 2600-2700us at the track. All I have is an intake, exhaust and programmer.