PDA

View Full Version : Injector Flow rates?

03svrider
March 27th, 2012, 10:56 AM
Will/can EFI live adjust injector flow rates and why would I want to if it can?

03svrider
March 28th, 2012, 09:57 AM
No answer? Guess I won't be buying efi live if I can't get support in thier own forum.

ScarabEpic22
March 28th, 2012, 10:04 AM
Relax man, I saw your post last night, but I have very limited experience with Duramax stuff. Having a post where someone says "I dont know" isnt really helpful IMO.

Have you downloaded the software and played with it? You can open and EFILive tune file without owning the hardware, it will tell you exactly what tables are available for your truck. What truck do you have, makes a difference because different ECMs use different tables.

JoshH
March 28th, 2012, 05:26 PM
There is no "Injector Flow Rate" table, at least not like what is in a gasser. What are you trying to accomplish?

simmja1
March 29th, 2012, 08:36 AM
I am trying to gain clarification on this subject.

I have a newly purchased 2008 Chevy 2500 with the Duramax LMM motor. It has 170K, and needs a set of injectors. THis is my previous company truck I just purchased and I have had 5 injectors swapped out at various times over the last 3 years. I want to replace all 8 injectors at one time (Suggestion from Dealer and local mechanic), and when you change the injector you have to update the injector flow rates in the ECM. I am trying to find out if EFI-Live is capable of this, or if I need to purchase a 3K Tech-2 programmer from a dealer. I am not concerned about "tuning" as much as I am about repairability of my own vehicle.

JoshH
March 29th, 2012, 10:36 AM
You do not "have to" program the injector codes, but to answer your question, last I checked, you could not do it with EFILive for new injectors. You can program from the GPCM to ECM and vice-versa, but you can't do anything for new injectors.

the_red_shark
March 29th, 2012, 10:41 AM
I'm not familiar with diesels but if you are replacing injectors unless you are increasing or decreasing the size injector flow rate would not require changing.

cumminsDK
March 29th, 2012, 11:26 AM
I'm not familiar with diesels but if you are replacing injectors unless you are increasing or decreasing the size injector flow rate would not require changing.

Actually on at least 07.5 and newer dodge and duramax engines the injectors are calibrated to the ECM as far as flow rate, and if the injectors are replaced the new flow rates have to be programmed into the ECM for emissions or a code will set. They are programmed based on i believe injector serial number. This way over time the ECM compensates for expected wear in the injectors to keep fuel delivery close to desired values. It's not exact, but a heck of a lot closer than no compensation at all.

LReiff
March 29th, 2012, 12:03 PM
Actually on at least 07.5 and newer dodge and duramax engines the injectors are calibrated to the ECM as far as flow rate, and if the injectors are replaced the new flow rates have to be programmed into the ECM for emissions or a code will set. They are programmed based on i believe injector serial number. This way over time the ECM compensates for expected wear in the injectors to keep fuel delivery close to desired values. It's not exact, but a heck of a lot closer than no compensation at all.
My Snap-on Modis will allow me to change injector codes on the 6.7 cummins however I never had it on an LMM to see if it's an option because the EFILive scan tool is far superior. Unless the replacement injectors are new genuine Bosch parts, the balance numbers are meaningless.

Motorzane
March 29th, 2012, 02:08 PM
The Snap-On software will program the ECM and the GPCM on the LMM

simmja1
March 30th, 2012, 03:29 AM
So I guess the 2-3K Tech-II is a better deal (Dollar wise) than the Snap-On MODIS (7-8K). However, the Tech-II can only be used for GM based products (I Believe).

Guess I will be purchasing a Tech-II and not a EFI-Live, as it appears it will not meet my Injector replacement needs.

Maybe in the near future, EFI-Live will support this feature, and if I have not purchased a Tech-II by then, I will consider buying the EFI-Live.

Thanks for all the support!

THEFERMANATOR
March 30th, 2012, 04:49 AM
So I guess the 2-3K Tech-II is a better deal (Dollar wise) than the Snap-On MODIS (7-8K). However, the Tech-II can only be used for GM based products (I Believe).

Guess I will be purchasing a Tech-II and not a EFI-Live, as it appears it will not meet my Injector replacement needs.

Maybe in the near future, EFI-Live will support this feature, and if I have not purchased a Tech-II by then, I will consider buying the EFI-Live.

Thanks for all the support!

If all you need to do is program injector flow data, take it to a dealer or somebody with a capable scan tool and pay them an hour or two labor to program it and be done with it. It will be THOUSANDS cheaper and accomplish teh same thing as realistically how often would you need to reprogram the injector flow rates. And they will run just fine without the flow rates even being plugged in as I did an ECM swap on an LMM a few weeks back and it started up and ran fine without programming them in.

killerbee
April 1st, 2012, 05:20 AM
No answer? Guess I won't be buying efi live if I can't get support in thier own forum.

did an EFILive rep ever contact you?