PDA

View Full Version : E40 2 bar Dyn Air dropping and so is fueling and everything else

Highlander
April 2nd, 2012, 08:13 AM
85lb fast injectors (I know they are crap and I told the customer so)
STS with precision 6265

After about 4200-4600rpms dyn air drops, so does inj pulsewidth and car goes lean... no matter what i do it always drops

I have no dips.. i have tried pushing to the max the boost ve table.

http://i908.photobucket.com/albums/ac287/highlanderc/Untitled-5.png

Any thoughts?

kangsta
April 2nd, 2012, 08:35 PM
what units is 65.77 for dynair. lb/hr?

Highlander
April 2nd, 2012, 08:37 PM
g/s

kangsta
April 2nd, 2012, 08:55 PM
is that a scaled tune? seems very low reading. Maybe post the tune and log file

swingtan
April 2nd, 2012, 10:14 PM
the low gm/S would be due to the the VE being scaled for the 85LB/Hr injectors.

What's the VE table like?

Highlander
April 3rd, 2012, 05:20 AM
Yes it is massively scaled as I kept hitting the limit over and over...

Injectors are at 37%

http://i908.photobucket.com/albums/ac287/highlanderc/problematic20ve.png

Highlander
May 22nd, 2012, 10:23 AM
The problem is that the ECU is dropping out of the boost VE table and going back and forth between the main ve and boost ve.

Any thoughts on how to fix this?

GMPX
May 22nd, 2012, 12:56 PM
I had heard of this happening on a car out here. Never figured out what the problem was, so in the end they just made the whole 2bar table the same number (and the last of the 1bar table) and it actually seemed to cure the problem and the car didn't fuel too bad. Not a great solution but it seemed to work.

Highlander
May 22nd, 2012, 01:28 PM
I am going to try changing the os! How about that?

Highlander
May 23rd, 2012, 07:26 AM
No matter what OS... same thing... I don't get why it drops from the boost VE table...

GMPX
May 23rd, 2012, 09:43 AM
Sorry, I don't know, maybe try what I'd suggested with the tables.

Highlander
May 24th, 2012, 03:13 AM
That is what I have been doing thus far... :(

Highlander
May 26th, 2012, 12:29 PM
The tuning way I am using is SD but with 1-bar type tuning :facepalm:

There has to be an issue with the code and the ECU or something.

I did another E40 custom OS and I didn't have an issue (GTO 2006). Go figure.

GMPX
May 26th, 2012, 04:31 PM
I know Chris, this is the same problem that has happened out here on occasion, in fact I think it was even the same OS on different cars, one was fine, the other was not, definitely a weird problem when it pops up.

Highlander
May 26th, 2012, 04:54 PM
I tried flashing different OS's. ALl did the same thing... I did use a script to adapt the calibrations for easy access... it has got to be something in the calibration.

JezzaB
May 28th, 2012, 09:37 AM
I had this problem a while ago. If I flashed it again it would be fine etc. Then another flash later and it would go back to the low reading dyn_cyl air again.

This was around the time of a new update that broke the Boost VE table and it wasnt reading correctly so I havent had a chance to look at it again but will be in a couple of weeks.

JezzaB
June 20th, 2012, 09:08 AM
Had this happen again yesterday. It's bloody weird. Full flash and it's fixed again.

JezzaB
June 20th, 2012, 10:11 PM
Spent more time today. Every few flashes it would do it. Makes no sense at all. Just have to keep reflashing until it comes good.

I had 2 in a row bad and the third time (same tune and literally key off and reflash) was fine. I can tell straight away because it idles lean

Highlander
September 2nd, 2012, 07:56 AM
It should be nice to develop a way to know when it works and when it doesn't. And, if it will stay like that or will it reset? This could mean a blown engine!!!!!

JezzaB
September 2nd, 2012, 09:20 AM
Ive had a run of E40s lately. They are fine 1 bar stock OS but going to 2 bar things become very iffy. G/cyl drops, goes lean randomly etc. Theres something not right. Couple of years ago it was fine, you would upgrade to a 2 bar OS and use the Boost VE table fine. Driving me insane as I have to keep trying tunes and OS until it works.

Highlander
September 2nd, 2012, 10:06 AM
If you come up with an OS that works let me know.... I will be tuning an ls9 on a e40 with twin turbos.

JezzaB
September 2nd, 2012, 10:25 AM
Ive had two tunes on the same OS and one worked and the other didnt. Not fun on a LSX427 with 2x T04Z's. 903rwhp on pump, flash again and its lean or just breaking down as soon as it hits over 105kpa *grrrr*. Then another with a LQ9 403ci and a GTX4508R doing the same thing.

The tune I have in them now is 2 bar but it doesnt seem to be using the Boost VE table. So i have to be really naughty and use the PE to fudge it. And then make the timing the same from 0.60g/sec to 1.20+ so that it doesnt go say 10deg and then ramp back and pump in 32deg timing.

Not the way it should be done.

GMPX
September 2nd, 2012, 11:51 AM
I really hate to say this, but I have not been able to figure out why some cars behave like this and others don't. As JezzaB noted, you can run the same OS, same tune even and one car will be fine, one won't.

Highlander
October 3rd, 2012, 01:28 PM
Well... back at this again... same issue.. Car made 815whp but had a massive boost leak.. now that boost is corrected its even harder to tune now...

Is there a way to know when its working and when its not. This car, that in a point it started to work its not working anymore...

My guess: Please ross give it a check.

When you rescale to not hit the ve limit then the ECU for some reason resorts to the main ve table... I think i remember this car working ok when we were pushing lower boost levels... Since I am on pump gas right now and pushing less boost... i'll try and see if the unscaled table works with the 2bar and let you guys know.

Highlander
October 3rd, 2012, 08:01 PM
I tried scaling back down, but same issue... I can no longer get it to work. Could it be that any of the other custom patches is conflicting with the operation of the 2bar OS?

Is there any other option to run this other than the nameless?

Thanks

Highlander
November 14th, 2012, 05:57 AM
Revisiting.. what would be the other way to tune this since the 2 bar stuff is not working? I would hate to use the other guys... but its starting to become the only option available for such a high HP car.

I am tuning this car tonight and I need some light on how to tackle this issue.

Is there a way to know w/o doing a pass if the OS is chasing properly?

Thank you.

turbo_bu
November 14th, 2012, 06:25 AM
Back in the LT1Edit days, the original hack way was to use the 2 bar MAP sensor .... and not change the OS. We had no way to change it :) Thus, you end up with 1/2 the resolution on your VE table since now 50 kPa is really 100 kPa. Of course, 100 kPa is now really 200 kPa. It works, not pretty, but it definately works.

Highlander
November 14th, 2012, 12:05 PM
Yeah... I tried that once or twice... Then reverted to MAF... Bigger MAF and be done with it...sadly... if i want to get this done today, this will be the only way... but oh well...

These ECUs are much faster than the LT1s so I guess it should work.

Highlander
November 14th, 2012, 01:20 PM
Could it be that the scaler 2 was left stock???? I am going to do a quick test to see!

Highlander
November 14th, 2012, 01:49 PM
First pass it worked... second pass/flash... reverted back to the stock table....

kangsta
March 5th, 2015, 11:45 AM
Did anyone get to the bottom of this one?

GMPX
March 5th, 2015, 09:35 PM
No, I spoke to another tuner here in Australia recently who ran in to this very issue, he said he'd done many E40 2bar in the past but this one was a bugger and he had all sorts of issues. It appeared to not be looking at the 2bar VE table. I don't know how to fix it though, one in ten cars does it for no reason.

kangsta
March 9th, 2015, 02:01 AM
Thanks Ross, will see how I go when the car comes in

Highlander
March 9th, 2015, 03:57 AM
Can we confirm which OSs are bad?

The E40 can take a full flash.

GMPX
March 9th, 2015, 09:41 AM
It is not OS dependant, the same 2bar OS can work on one car and not another.