PDA

View Full Version : Cylinder Balance Help ASAP Please

TwoStroke
April 3rd, 2012, 02:04 AM
Are the cylinder #s by the firing order or the actual cyl as labeled? Such as is BALRCYL2mm3 actually #5 inj?

2007 5.9
April 3rd, 2012, 04:25 AM
They are listed in numerical order from front of motor to the firewall.

TwoStroke
April 3rd, 2012, 04:57 AM
That was my thinking also until this morning. I had a truck come in that logged #2 injector at +4.0 and would never change. I pulled #2 cyl injector and replaced, logged and no different still +4.0 with no fluctuation. So I recall on the modis or mentor that it list the injectors in order from firewall but also in parenthesis has them listed in firing order which would put #5 cyl as Balrcyl2mm3 . I pulled cyl #5 inj and replaced it leaving #2 new alone for the time and logged it. Problem solved.

Hope I explained it well enough to understand.

2007 5.9
April 3rd, 2012, 06:46 AM
Interesting...

tokymon
April 3rd, 2012, 09:18 AM
there is no good scanner to do this at the shop i use to work at we use to pull the injector wires to find out what injector it is
#2 and #5 are running mates in the firing order

DODGE74
April 4th, 2012, 10:58 AM
Ok, I want to hit on this some more...

Im having an injector issue and just out of curiosity I would like to see if I can nail down which injector is causing the problem. Im getting ready to buy 6 new 120's and I just figured I would try and do a little investigating before I pull them and send them to the injection shop for testing. So I set up my dash page with the injector balance rates and Im wondering why I have cylinder balance rates for 1-5 but no 6?

What would be considered normal for the balance rates? I have one injector that is showing 4.0 at idle and the rest are fairly close to each other but Im also not showing #6.

Here are the rates that Im showing at idle:

cyl 1.... -1.1

cyl 2... -2.6

cyl 3... 4.0

cyl 4... .03

cyl 5... -3.9

If I can figure out how to post my log file I will or maybe someone can show me how to do it I would be appreciative.

TwoStroke
April 4th, 2012, 11:09 AM
The closer to 0.0 the better. A +4.0 is telling you that the ecm its really working that injector to try to get it to balance out the engine. On the other hand a -4.0 would mean the ecm is trying to cut that injector to balance out the engine.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

2007 5.9
April 4th, 2012, 11:15 AM
Your +4.0 hole is the dead injector...the ECM is calling on the others to help balance idle quality.

DODGE74
April 4th, 2012, 11:52 AM
Thanks guys. I kinda figured as much but its nice to get some knowledge from the experts.

But why is there no #6?

On a side note, I just dynoed the truck and I've been loosing hp gradually and that was my first suspicion something was going on. Here in the last week or so its been fairly warm here and I'm geting some white/blue smoke at startup with about 5 seconds worth of rough idle. So I know whats gotta happen next.

But it did put down almost 550hp and 1066 like this. :hihi:

68showngo
April 5th, 2012, 11:58 AM
So at about + and - 4.0 means the injector is starting to go out? Is this at idle or what type of driving? I think mine might be starting to go, but of course still hoping not... Don't mean to derail this thread, but I've been looking for this info.

2007 5.9
April 5th, 2012, 12:45 PM
+4.0 indicates that the particular injector is not flowing enough fuel and the the ECM has to turn the "Gain" up if you will, to get it to do its job.

Conversely a (-) number indicates too much flow and the ECM has to turn the (Gain) down to get it to flow properly.

68showngo
April 5th, 2012, 01:09 PM
And that specifically means an injector is going out or can you not really tell with EFI Live? If you can tell, should these readings be taken at idle or from some WOT runs? My idle seems to be a bit rough at start-up also like DODGE74 said, but whenever I change my oil it seems to go away somewhat.

My max at idle is 3.0 from #5, and min of -1.7 from #3.
My max after some driving at WOT runs is 5.2 again from #5, and min of -3.0 from #3.

gneal02
April 12th, 2012, 09:17 AM
Ok I just put a new injector in number one and my balance rate for number one didn't change. WTF?

DODGE74
April 12th, 2012, 02:15 PM
Ok I just put a new injector in number one and my balance rate for number one didn't change. WTF?

Are you sure that you pulled the correct injector?

#1 from what I understand is actually #6....... See below.

Are the cylinder #s by the firing order or the actual cyl as labeled? Such as is BALRCYL2mm3 actually #5 inj?

They are listed in numerical order from front of motor to the firewall.

That was my thinking also until this morning. I had a truck come in that logged #2 injector at +4.0 and would never change. I pulled #2 cyl injector and replaced, logged and no different still +4.0 with no fluctuation. So I recall on the modis or mentor that it list the injectors in order from firewall but also in parenthesis has them listed in firing order which would put #5 cyl as Balrcyl2mm3 . I pulled cyl #5 inj and replaced it leaving #2 new alone for the time and logged it. Problem solved.

Hope I explained it well enough to understand.

gneal02
April 12th, 2012, 02:25 PM
Are you sure that you pulled the correct injector?

#1 from what I understand is actually #6....... See below.

From the way I read this twostroke went by firing order to get the right injector. If that's the case number one is number in the firing order. Even if its number six it didn't change either, I saw no difference in anything.

gneal02
April 13th, 2012, 11:12 PM
Well after some miles on it, the balance rate has come down now. It was staying around plus 5 before with old injector but is maxing out at plus 2 and averaging 1.2 now, still seems a little off but better than before.

TwoStroke
April 14th, 2012, 03:19 AM
Firing order is 1-5-3-6-2-4....The #1 inj will be the first injector starting at front of engine and also the first to fire in the firing order so it should be listed as 1 in efi. What I was questioning was is what we see efi logs list as #2 actually inj #2 or the second inj to fire which would be #5.

The reasoning behind my thinking is on the Modis we are able to do a cyl kill test and they are listed as follows....Injector 2 (Cyl#5). This is what makes me think that the lables we see in logging is by firing order not that particular inj in order from front of engine.

DODGE74
April 14th, 2012, 01:44 PM
Firing order is 1-5-3-6-2-4....The #1 inj will be the first injector starting at front of engine and also the first to fire in the firing order so it should be listed as 1 in efi. What I was questioning was is what we see efi logs list as #2 actually inj #2 or the second inj to fire which would be #5.

The reasoning behind my thinking is on the Modis we are able to do a cyl kill test and they are listed as follows....Injector 2 (Cyl#5). This is what makes me think that the lables we see in logging is by firing order not that particular inj in order from front of engine.

AHHH I misunderstood you also.