PDA

View Full Version : ECM Failure

a78turbo
February 5th, 2006, 04:58 AM
Do Not Change Speedo Pulses Per Mile To 0 By Accident Or On Purpose! Killed My Ecm By Doing This Somehow. I Did Not Change Mine, But Somehow It Happened. Just A Warning To Others To Double Check Your Calibration Files Before Flashing.

bobo
February 5th, 2006, 05:21 AM
It isn't dead. Have you fixed it yet?

a78turbo
February 5th, 2006, 07:33 AM
The file I had with pulses set to 0 also killed one of Ross's test ECM's. It IS possible to kill one of these ecm's with a partial flash.:damnit1:

bobo
February 5th, 2006, 06:06 PM
You did what none of us could do....congrats!!!

GMPX
February 5th, 2006, 10:46 PM
Change your sig to "President of the I killed and ECM club", you are the first member.

How did you go tracking down another ECM?

Cheers,
Ross

Brains
February 6th, 2006, 03:28 AM
I ran into something similar this weekend. Flashed a PCM using LS1Edit (I know, I'm an idiot -- but I have it, and didn't have any free EFILive licenses at the moment. It was like 3am AU/NZ time too).. Long story short, flash the PCM with a 1500 pulse per mile speedo value according to LS1Edit. Flash went in fine, but the PCM was bricked. Had to steal a PCM out of another car to get the car to my house, and then bother Paul to see if he could help us out. So far the PCM is still a doorstop, but hopefully something can be figured out. If not, who can still socket a PCM?

Wasted Income
February 6th, 2006, 03:49 AM
Damn! Is there any way to prevent the entering of too low of a value for speedo pulses in future EFI Live releases?

a78turbo
February 6th, 2006, 03:59 AM
I will check my ECM supply connection today and see if I can get one here ASAP. Are these going to be like Ford ignition modules? You have to keep a spare in the glove box? :muahaha:

Wasted Income
February 6th, 2006, 04:40 AM
What is the GM part # for the LLY ECM?

Dirk Diggler
February 6th, 2006, 05:11 AM
Ive killed my PCM with LS1 Edit fooling around with PPM. It seems as though this value never needs to be changed. Is there a case where you would need to change it

wait4me
February 6th, 2006, 05:32 AM
I have some of EVERY computer in stock.. After you get a quote from another company, Call me and i will tell you my price.. :)

Brains
February 6th, 2006, 06:20 AM
On this particular vehicle, the sending unit shipping pulses to the PCM is quite a bit different than the std. F-body stuff the PCM expected. I calculated it needed roughly 1500 ppm to make the speedo read correctly, so I entered 1500 ppm. Flashed the PCM, and it turned into a doorstop :(

Blacky
February 6th, 2006, 09:51 AM
On this particular vehicle, the sending unit shipping pulses to the PCM is quite a bit different than the std. F-body stuff the PCM expected. I calculated it needed roughly 1500 ppm to make the speedo read correctly, so I entered 1500 ppm. Flashed the PCM, and it turned into a doorstop :(

I do not think that 1500 will kill the PCM. We have tested it as low as 100ppm and it was ok. 0ppm and 1ppm both kill the PCM, as will setting it to the maximum value.
The current version of EFILive limits the ppm to 99% of maximum - so that is no longer an issue.
The next version of EFILive has a 100 minimum, so soon that will not be an issue.

The {H0101} is an input and should only be changed when the input changes - i.e. diff and or tire size changes.

To change the pulses that the PCM outputs, you should be changing: {H0105} and {H0106}.

Regards
Paul

Brains
February 6th, 2006, 09:54 AM
The problem is, I entered those values using LS1Edit -- so who knows what was actually written to the PCM :lol: