PDA

View Full Version : A 'real' computer legend passes...

GMPX
April 9th, 2012, 02:52 PM
To anyone like myself who began their computing journey with a Commodore or Atari back in the early 80's, the driving force behind those computers died yesterday.
The man was known for very ruthless business practices (like not paying suppliers until they tried to sue, or until they were nearly broke then buy them out), but as consumers in 1982 he offered the world a 16 colour computer with real sound (not silly beeps) for $350 that would go on to become the highest selling computer model in history (17+ million). At the time the Apple IIe was $2,500!! and PC's were just overpriced junk too. He's vision to make computers affordable and user friendly for anyone must have spawned countless future computing careers in the 80's as we typed in programs from magazines and 'traded' games on BBS's, to the creation of the computing hacker culture (demoscene).
Might have to fire up the old C64 tonight for some nostalgia.

R.I.P Jack (http://www.forbes.com/sites/davidthier/2012/04/09/computer-legend-and-gaming-pioneer-jack-tramiel-dies-at-age-83/)

http://cdn3.sbnation.com/entry_photo_images/3648942/C64_startup_animiert_large_verge_medium_landscape. jpg

Chevy366
April 9th, 2012, 04:02 PM
May he live on in the silicon byway.

Tre-Cool
April 9th, 2012, 05:36 PM
Ahh I'm only 29 but even our family and neighbors had commodore 64's growing up. Good old California Games loading from cassette tape took for ever.

I still remember when the sega megadrive game out and the joystick plug was the same, so i could use it on the 64. haha

i dont know how but i managed to blow up our 64, man did i get a belting from my old man. haha cloud of smoke in the living room, dad comes running out his bedroom after nightshift... end scene.

GMPX
April 9th, 2012, 06:21 PM
Good old California Games loading from cassette tape took for ever.
Yeah, you did have plenty of time to make a cuppa whilst it loaded (but we knew no better). That game too was certainly responsible for many a broken joystick.

JOHNBOY
April 9th, 2012, 09:25 PM
RIP

My family had a Commodore 64. I too remember loading games of cassette tapes. Wow how far things have come.

joecar
April 9th, 2012, 09:29 PM
Sigh... the passing of another legend... in this age/era we're just unwillingly biding our time before more legends go.

cindy@efilive
April 9th, 2012, 10:17 PM
RIP. We enjoy playing our commodore 64, I remember growing up Dad bought us a Vic 20 and we had so much fun. I just wish this household only had 1 commodore 64, however it would appear that Ross is reliving his youth and needs 64 to complete the set.