PDA

View Full Version : IAC - What tables control it?

FstBlkZ28
February 5th, 2006, 10:05 AM
My car has already been tuned by a professional, who then went out of business shortly after doing my tune. So I upgraded EFILive to the Personal Scan & Tune to make minor tweaks to my current tune, and then bigger and better things on down the road like Speed Density, etc. I adjusted the set screw on my TB after the car was tuned to lower my IAC's because they were very high at idle. Well now my idle hangs up when I come up to a redlight and I've logged data to confirm that my IAC's are hanging up too high for a few seconds before they settle down.

Now that I've finally got the tuning version of EFILive, I've been looking through to try and find what and where to adjust the IAC, and the only place that I can find that directly control the number of steps is the:

Engine Calibration > Idle > General > Default IAC Motor Park Position

Which right now is set to 310.0, but when I log a run where my idle hang's up, my IAC's start out at ~146steps until they finally fall back down to ~20 where it finds the set idle at 900rpms.

Is there another calibration that controls the # of steps or what?

Sorry I've been reading manuals, and tutorials since I've got the program trying to get familiar with the in's and out's of it, but I'm too impatient with my idle hanging up and want to get it done quickly.

Any help will be much appreciated!:thankyou2:

TAQuickness
February 5th, 2006, 10:32 AM
try logging your throttle follower. sounds like you need it to decay a bit faster. Desired running airflow also has direct effect on IAC counts.

FstBlkZ28
February 5th, 2006, 10:41 AM
try logging your throttle follower. sounds like you need it to decay a bit faster. Desired running airflow also has direct effect on IAC counts.

Ok thanks, I'll log the follower in alittle bit and see what that looks like.

TAQuickness
February 5th, 2006, 11:10 AM
Try logging the RAFIG. Use the results to patch up your b4307

FstBlkZ28
February 6th, 2006, 10:36 AM
Try logging the RAFIG. Use the results to patch up your b4307

Is the RAFIG just the Desired Airflow? Which PID's do I need to select to log the RAFIG?

Thanks again, I really do appreciate the help

TAQuickness
February 6th, 2006, 11:08 AM
RAFIG represents the amount of air added or subtracted via IAC to meet the idle requirements. When you select RAFIG, it may be invalid (ex'd out). Right click and chose more info.

FstBlkZ28
February 6th, 2006, 01:24 PM
I've been looking through the full list of PID's and the Scan Manual trying to figure it out w/o bothering you more, but I cannot find a PID thats listed as RAFIG. Am I doing something wrong or does it have a different name under the list of PID's.

TAQuickness
February 6th, 2006, 01:41 PM
No worries. The proper PID name is CALC.RAFIG. Make sure the supporeted check box (just to the top of the pid description column) is unchecked. The description for RAFIG is Idle Airflow Correction AC Off, In Gear. You can also select "Idle" in the system drop down box to reduce the PID's to sort thru.

FstBlkZ28
February 6th, 2006, 02:05 PM
Ok, the supported box is Unchecked, I selected Idle and tried Calculated, and the Idle Airflow Correction AC Off, In Gear (CALC.RAFIG) isn't on the list. I've got Long term and short term Airflow correction AC Off, In gear but not just a standard Airflow Correction. Is it just missing from my PID's for god knows what reason, or should I select both the Long term and short term?

TAQuickness
February 6th, 2006, 02:10 PM
you will need to select both the required long term and short term pids so the calc.rafig will work. If you can post a screen shot, I'll edit it and show you what you need to do.

FstBlkZ28
February 6th, 2006, 02:22 PM
http://img65.imageshack.us/img65/1019/screenshot8xa.th.jpg (http://img65.imageshack.us/my.php?image=screenshot8xa.jpg)

Thanks!

TAQuickness
February 6th, 2006, 02:32 PM
got to wait till i get home. the host website isn't allowed on my work pc... I'll get back to you

FstBlkZ28
February 6th, 2006, 02:34 PM
alright thanks, i'll see if i can't mess around alil more to get the RAFIG to come up ... after I selected those two (short term and long term) would it be necessary to plug the laptop back up to the car and "validate PID's" again? Or should the RAFIG come available just by selecting the other two?

Tordne
February 6th, 2006, 02:43 PM
Probably worth a quick mention that you will need to be running the later version of EFILive for the RAFIG PID to be included in the product.

The latest release can be obtained from: http://www.efilive.com/downloads/downloads_7.html

In my version the CALC.RAFIG does appear in the "Idle" section.

Cheers,

FstBlkZ28
February 6th, 2006, 02:46 PM
Hmm I just downloaded Scan & Tune about 3 days ago after I got it in the mail, I thought that was the one I downloaded.

TAQuickness
February 6th, 2006, 04:01 PM
Your PID selection should look similar to this - and you will need the latest release.

FstBlkZ28
February 6th, 2006, 04:11 PM
I didn't have the latest release:bawl: I just followed the links from the installation CD and apparently it sent me to get the V7.30 ... it wasn't until after checking the Build #'s of the Scan and tune tools that I realized I didn't have the 7.31.

Sorry for that big run around guys.

Now that thats all cleared up - How should I do the log? From a cold start until its warm and then take it for alil cruise? Or do I just need to let it idle?

Thanks alot for helpin me get on the right track here guys, really appreciate it

TAQuickness
February 6th, 2006, 04:12 PM
cold start to full warm, save the log, then go for a drive

FstBlkZ28
February 6th, 2006, 04:21 PM
Alright thanks ... I'll get that done tomorrow and see what I all I can figure out myself.

I saw an Excel File made by RedHardSupra mentioned in a post when I was searching the forums for RAFIG, will I need to use that file to calculate the RAF values or will I be able to pretty much just look at the log and tweak the B4307 table?

TAQuickness
February 6th, 2006, 04:36 PM
you need a map that mimics b4307. after your log, select all cells, ctrl+shift+c, open b4307 right click paste and add with labels.

FstBlkZ28
February 6th, 2006, 04:46 PM
Alright thanks, I'm making up the map right now! I've got RAFIG as my columns - Do I just write in 'In Gear' and 'Park/Nuetral' as the two columns or is there a way to delegate which one is which?

I guess I'm asking, how will EFILive know which is which when its logging?

joecar
February 7th, 2006, 05:20 AM
If you have an A4, then also log the Gear Selector pid (GM.PRND, GM.PRNDSW, whichever one works) and use this in your filter.

FstBlkZ28
February 7th, 2006, 06:17 AM
Sorry, I forgot to mention it ... my car's a 6-speed.

Brains
February 7th, 2006, 08:59 AM
For a 6 speed, "in gear" means clutch pedal is out. "park/neutral" means the clutch pedal is depressed.

joecar
February 7th, 2006, 09:08 AM
I think there's a STATExx pid that shows the state of the clutch pedal switch, but I'm not sure.

FstBlkZ28
February 7th, 2006, 10:20 AM
Ok, I just logged a cold start up => fully warm idle.

My values came out as below (ECT in *C)

ECT RAFIG (average)
-40 -3.00
8 -2.65
20 -3.00
32 -3.00
44 -3.00
56 -3.00
68 -3.00
80 -3.00
92 -3.00

Do I just take my original RAFIG table and subtract the values I logged?
BTW - my Nuetral/Park and In Gear values are identical as it sits right now, should I make the adjustments for both columns then?

TAQuickness
February 7th, 2006, 12:31 PM
from the scan tool, ctrl+shift+c, in the tune tool open b4307 (desired running airflow), select all cells, right click, paste and add with labels.