PDA

View Full Version : Datalogging freeze up

dsltnr
April 16th, 2012, 11:29 AM
I have posted this before but there were no responses or solutions. When datalogging everything works great when "Monitoring" but when I hit the "Record" button and start recording my datalogs, it will work for a bit and then freeze up, then continue, then freeze, then work, then freeze, etc etc.

I have reduced the PIDS selected thinking I had too many pids selected but I can reduce it to just a few pids and it still freezes up randomly.

Anyone have any ideas or suggestions? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

tokymon
April 16th, 2012, 02:02 PM
My old laptop would do this if I hade it in low power mode - trying to conserve battery power
Check you power setting when unpluged

dsltnr
April 22nd, 2012, 11:02 PM
Thanks for the suggestion. I did go in and change power plan to Max performance and still the same issue. I appreciate the reply though.

Tordne
April 23rd, 2012, 05:49 AM
What is the system doing (CPU utilization etc.) in Task Manager when logging? I have an Atom based netbook and I know that it struggles to keep up logging real-time data, especially when on the graphs pages. It definitely sounds like a system related problem.

dsltnr
April 23rd, 2012, 12:43 PM
What is the system doing (CPU utilization etc.) in Task Manager when logging? I have an Atom based netbook and I know that it struggles to keep up logging real-time data, especially when on the graphs pages. It definitely sounds like a system related problem.

Thanks for the suggestion. It is the latest i7 top of the line processor so that should not be an issue. Paul suggested it may be a write protection feature in the hard drive due to vibration while driving. I am going to do a couple of tests tomorrow and see if that is it. Thank you.

Mitco39
May 6th, 2012, 03:08 AM
I also am seeing the same thing with my laptop. Maybe try running it on high performance mode instead of balanced or power saver mode? I have noticed that since I changed laptops the update speed is super fast (other than the bit of lag).

2006Cummins
May 10th, 2012, 02:15 AM
I am having a similar problem also. I can record just fine, but cannot monitor. When I hit the yellow button it says that it's paused, and does nothing. It has been this way for a couple of months I would guess. It worked fine a while back. The only thing I can think of that has changed is installing updates.

Blacky
May 10th, 2012, 07:32 AM
I am having a similar problem also. I can record just fine, but cannot monitor. When I hit the yellow button it says that it's paused, and does nothing. It has been this way for a couple of months I would guess. It worked fine a while back. The only thing I can think of that has changed is installing updates.

In monitoring mode the charts won't appear to be updating because they are paused, that is what monitoring mode means. It means no data is being recorded, it is just being displayed in the [Data (F9)] tab page and on the gauges on dash page A.

When the software is in monitoring mode, and you view the [Data (f9)] tab page, do the PID values show the real-time data?

Regards
Paul

2006Cummins
May 10th, 2012, 04:17 PM
In monitoring mode the charts won't appear to be updating because they are paused, that is what monitoring mode means. It means no data is being recorded, it is just being displayed in the [Data (F9)] tab page and on the gauges on dash page A.

When the software is in monitoring mode, and you view the [Data (f9)] tab page, do the PID values show the real-time data?

Regards
Paul

No real time data...

Blacky
May 10th, 2012, 04:35 PM
The two right-hand LEDs on FlashScan's keypad indicate comms activity on the USB and CAN links. The green LED is USB and the orange LED is CAN. Are both of those LEDs flashing when you're in monitoring mode?

Regards
Paul

dsltnr
May 12th, 2012, 06:56 PM
Thanks for the suggestion. It is the latest i7 top of the line processor so that should not be an issue. Paul suggested it may be a write protection feature in the hard drive due to vibration while driving. I am going to do a couple of tests tomorrow and see if that is it. Thank you.
Mine turned out to be the write protection software that Lenovo puts on their laptops. The sensitivity was set to maximum so any movement caused it to stop writing to protect the hard drive from a perceived problem. Turned sensitivity down and problem stopped. Good call Paul.

2006Cummins
May 15th, 2012, 04:47 AM
I found that my problem is only when looking at charts on the dashboard - it doesn't show any data when connected and the yellow monitor button is pushed, but does when recording. I can monitor data on the dashboard with gauges displayed, and in the F9 data tab.

Also, every time I go to open another dashboard it asks if I want to save it, and I haven't made any changes. Is it supposed to do that?

Thank you,
Mike

Mitco39
May 15th, 2012, 07:15 AM
Mine turned out to be the write protection software that Lenovo puts on their laptops. The sensitivity was set to maximum so any movement caused it to stop writing to protect the hard drive from a perceived problem. Turned sensitivity down and problem stopped. Good call Paul.

This would be my issue as well, I am also using a Lenovo that has this feature. Thanks for the tip paul and the follow up dsltnr!

Blacky
May 15th, 2012, 07:29 AM
I found that my problem is only when looking at charts on the dashboard - it doesn't show any data when connected and the yellow monitor button is pushed, but does when recording. I can monitor data on the dashboard with gauges displayed, and in the F9 data tab.

The charts are not supposed to update when monitoring. There is nothing for the charts to display if no data is being recorded because the charts show the recorded data.

Also, every time I go to open another dashboard it asks if I want to save it, and I haven't made any changes. Is it supposed to do that?

Thank you,
Mike

If you've changed something in the layout of the dashboard you will be asked to save it before a new dashboard can be loaded.
Watch that icon and see when it changes from disabled to enabled. That may give you an idea of what is causing the software to think the dashboard needs saving.

Regards
Paul

2006Cummins
May 15th, 2012, 03:34 PM
Ok, thanks. I'll watch the icon.