PDA

View Full Version : Running an Auto ECM without a transmission ? (Defuelling)

someguy
April 25th, 2012, 09:50 AM
I'm swapping a 6.7 into a Ford. I'm using a non Dodge transmission. I want to defuel during the shift. My transmission controller talks on the CAN bus.

Does a CM2100 ECM with a manual program in it support defueling ? ie can I send it a properly formatted CAN message and have it cut torque ?

How would it work to use an ECM with an Auto transmission without the transmission attached ? Can one kill all the error messages and have the ECM run "properly" without the transmission attached ? Or will the lack of feedback from shaft sensors and such cause it to run in various limp modes ?

I'd test this all myself, but I don't have my engine mounted in the truck and it makes a difference as to how I will wire it up.

Thanks

someguy
April 27th, 2012, 08:55 AM
Nobody has a comment ?

What if we start with running an Auto ECM without a transmission.

Will that work ? Or does it defuel ?

Can EFI Live kill all the faults that I don't want showing up ?

Robs24vCTD
April 27th, 2012, 11:29 AM
I'm not sure on the auto trans faults, but worst case you could always flash a manual tune in.

4NEATR
May 2nd, 2012, 02:44 AM
Mine is running perfect on the manual EFI file from the tunefiledepo. My 48re swap has no links to the motor or ECM at all, TC takes up the power when shifting until it locks, so no defueling in the EFI program.

someguy
May 3rd, 2012, 01:58 AM
That is very hard on the shift clutches and while that might work for the 48RE, it won't work for all transmissions in all applications.

TCs don't "take up power". They will absorb some of the rpm difference as the gear ratios change, but in doing so they transmit a tremendous amount of torque through the clutches. That is probably fine for a few drag race runs down the track, but not the solution you want for a tow rig.

4NEATR
May 7th, 2012, 04:33 AM
Yah you are right, but I haven't been able to figure out how EFI could talk to my PCS controller so there is de-fuelling on shifts when I'm not at the track. Shifts are very smooth even pulling my trailer on the trans tune I built for towing.