PDA

View Full Version : Flashing speed question

red0759
April 29th, 2012, 01:30 AM
I've just got a quick question about the flashing time it's taking everyone out there on there 06-07 model trucks. Ever since efi was released for our trucks last summer my flash times for my 07 have been over 8 minutes every time and no matter what year or calibration ID or OS i've used. Last night I tuned a friends 06 for him and it only took 4:30 exactly! I'm just wondering if this is normal or what?? I used smarty before but it took more time than on that same boys 06 as well clicking in at around 5:30 for mine. I've used good checksum files ever since I started and even just now flashed the 06 file from my friends truck into mine and it still took 8:30 exactly. I guess I just wanna be comfortable and know this is normal or is there a difference in the ECM's or how they communicate? Thanks in advance for any insight!

DODGE74
April 29th, 2012, 08:15 AM
My 06 also usually flashes in under 5 minutes while my buddy's 07 flashes in over 7 minutes. I dont think that there is anything to worry about because I've also heard that lots of guys have various flash times.

GMPX
April 29th, 2012, 08:53 AM
The amount of data that needs to be flashed does change between year models (actually, it's the OS that determines this as some have more data to write than others), but the difference should be 20 to 30 seconds at most between them all.
Just under 5 mins is normal, if you are seeing times over 7 minutes I would say there is something on the vehicles data bus that is causing communications problems during the reflash, this will make EFILive retry over and over the interrupted sections until the ECM confirms it received the data correctly.
Things that cause problems like this are aftermarket XM radio adaptors, iPod adaptors that connect on to the CAN bus, if it's just something that plugs in to the cig lighter and there is no connection to the CAN bus then it's not to blame.

red0759
April 29th, 2012, 11:55 AM
The only thing that I can think of at all would be maybe the cd player that's different from stock that would plug in at all. Other than that there's nothing on the truck that I could think of that would disturb the communications with any bus and ECM. Maybe I'm missing something?!? Either way I can wait 8 minutes a flash as long as I can use your product!! Not a big concern just pondering on the differences between the year models and tune files.