PDA

View Full Version : Who needs on the fly adjusting...

2007 5.9
May 5th, 2012, 03:20 PM
Just got done towing 12,000# with my single 66, stock injectors, on my DD/race/sled tune...pulled like a champ!!! Didn't make ONE SINGLE change to the tuning!!!

And we need a CSP....why???

http://img.tapatalk.com/a6cd8bae-fbf4-51a1.jpg

DoghouseDiesel
May 6th, 2012, 01:09 AM
EXACTLY!

We do need to get you some air bags though......:hihi:

2007 5.9
May 6th, 2012, 01:13 AM
True Rich...my poor 3/4ton springs were nice and cadillac smooth!!!

It towed very well...3rd locked at 65mph...up grades was hard to crest 1200*....now in O/D...that's a different story....but goes to show, with tuning, you CAN do it all!!!

THEFERMANATOR
May 6th, 2012, 02:52 AM
Once you have it, you will understand why it is so nice to have.

comnrailpwr
May 6th, 2012, 04:06 AM
Nice to have I think so but not any sort of priority.

Dmaxink
May 6th, 2012, 04:07 AM
Its good for the undisciplined kind like myself that likes to put it to the floor all the time! Lol...also really good for index racing, also good for when you have a super high horsepower motor that #5 tune can be break a motor or break a record tune! Lol

GMPX
May 6th, 2012, 09:01 AM
Someone made a good point on another forum (I think), that because the flash times on the Cummins weren't as fast as GM it would be nice to be able to try a few different settings without reflashing the ECM three or four times.

2007 5.9
May 6th, 2012, 09:40 AM
Oh I agree it would be nice....I was merely showcasing that with EFI Live...it's possible to do it all!!

Unlike ANY box tuner!!!

LB72004
May 6th, 2012, 05:26 PM
it would be nice to be able to try a few different settings without reflashing the ECM three or four times.

exactly, this is what i do. all if my switchable tunes are the the same HP, just tweaks to the tunes like timing, fuel pressure, etc. to see how the engine runs without having to flash it a bunch. good for when logging MPGs and switching tunes and seeing the differences so i know what direction to go with my tuning. helps a bunch when your still learning and building your own tunes.

i dont have a race tune, tow tune, eco tune. i just have a tune that works well for all. punch it hard when i want to race, go light when i want MPGs, etc

THEFERMANATOR
May 7th, 2012, 02:02 AM
For the LB7 I like the DSP2, one tune for towing and the other for daily driving. I like having the dedicated tow tune so I don't have to watch teh EGT's so closely while towing as I tend to get a heavy foot and drive spirited while towing. For LLY on I like the DSP5. One for stock or valet, an econ tune that keeps teh DIC pretty accurate all around, a hot tune for when you want to play, a tow tune, and since they have a VVT a turbo brake in #5. It's nice having a turbo brake, and I have considered finding an LLY engine to swap into mine to have one in my BURB.

IdahoRob
May 7th, 2012, 02:16 AM
I'm tuning a diesel power challenge entry this year that is using one tune for everything. MPG, Dyno, Sled Pulling, and Drag racing. He loaded up a single tune and put some time behind the wheel and said " this is awesome" and off he went.

pavetim
June 10th, 2012, 09:35 AM
You can switch on the fly with Cummins like the duramax? Thought you couldn't load more than one tune at a time with the Cummins?

comnrailpwr
June 10th, 2012, 10:05 AM
You can't at this moment. The point is with a quality tune you can do anything you are wanting to do.

Wheelz
August 15th, 2012, 08:35 PM
One use for it would be valet mode if you ever have to let someone borrow your truck

DoghouseDiesel
August 15th, 2012, 10:48 PM
One use for it would be valet mode if you ever have to let someone borrow your truck

Sounds like someone should get their own truck.

If I can't trust someone with my stuff, they don't use it.

Wheelz
August 16th, 2012, 07:50 AM
Sounds like someone should get their own truck.

If I can't trust someone with my stuff, they don't use it.

Agreed, but with my work that is a luxury I can't always afford. I don't expect anything would get torn up on purpose, but accident prevention is worth a lot.

RyeThomas
August 18th, 2012, 11:22 PM
I don't think it's a big issue, I've got one tune that does it all. In fact I can even let my wife drive the truck in the rain and I don't have to worry about, "ending up in a roadside ditch". Can't say that with the box tuners I had before this.
I'm more concerned with having the ability to change tire sizes, I don't need a driving diploma from the local Feds. Just my 2cents.