PDA

View Full Version : Scanning Tutorial

Sinister
May 7th, 2012, 10:37 AM
Okay, I am trying to read up on scanning. I opened the EFI Live Scan V7.5>Help>tutorials>scan tool tutorial. However, an Error box shows up that says "There is no application associated with the fiven filename extension." It does that no matter what pdf I try to pull up. I want to set my dashboard up to read spark, rpm, ect, throttle, IAT, Map pressure, Knock Retard, Injector Duty cycle. I also want to try and figure out a way to use my LM1 and tie it into the scan dashboard for logging purposes.

What am I doing wrong to read the tutorials?

joecar
May 7th, 2012, 11:17 AM
You have to install Adobe Reader.

joecar
May 7th, 2012, 11:21 AM
Goto the pids tab and select pids for your PCM (keep pid channel count at 24 or less, see bottom of display);

Goto the dashboaord, goto B, you will see 4 or more strip charts (stacked vertically on each other)...

each chart has 4 corners...

on a corner do rightclick and select the pid you want to be in that chart position;

when you have done the 4 corners of a chart, on the center of the chart do rightclick->chart properties and click Save to make the pid selections permanent.

Sinister
May 7th, 2012, 12:01 PM
Thanks. I'll go try it.

Sinister
May 7th, 2012, 01:21 PM
Okay, it worked. However, it would start to show "monitoring" like I wanted but it only did it for about 5 seconds and then popped up an error. I am using the same cable I use to open up the tuning tool. I did as it said and made sure nothing was open. I plugged in the cable, opened the scan tool, turned the ignition on and clicked on the green button in the top right corner. Next I clicked on the yellow button on the bottom to monitor. My ECT showed 150 degrees and my Commanded AFR showed like 9.7 but after 5-10 seconds it would pop up a box that showed trying to reconnect but wouldn't. I turned everything off and started the sequence over. Am I doing something out of sequence?

Sinister
May 7th, 2012, 01:22 PM
Also, is there a way to load the tutorials with my MAC computer? I only use the pc for the tuning. It sucks for trying to get internet, downloading, etc.. We live in the country. My mac is instant but and much easier to use but EFI live can't be used with it. Can I just download the different reading pdf files on my mac to read?

joecar
May 7th, 2012, 02:29 PM
Okay, it worked. However, it would start to show "monitoring" like I wanted but it only did it for about 5 seconds and then popped up an error. I am using the same cable I use to open up the tuning tool. I did as it said and made sure nothing was open. I plugged in the cable, opened the scan tool, turned the ignition on and clicked on the green button in the top right corner. Next I clicked on the yellow button on the bottom to monitor. My ECT showed 150 degrees and my Commanded AFR showed like 9.7 but after 5-10 seconds it would pop up a box that showed trying to reconnect but wouldn't. I turned everything off and started the sequence over. Am I doing something out of sequence?When this happens, click on the Console tab and copy/paste the entire text as a reply in this thread

( on the Console tab, place cursor inside the text area, do Ctrl-A (highlights all text), do Ctrl-C (copies text into clipboard), come to this thread and do Ctrl-V to paste into a reply )

joecar
May 7th, 2012, 02:30 PM
Did you go:
- File->Enter VIN and type in your VIN,
- File->Select Controller and select GenIII LS1 1999-2008.

joecar
May 7th, 2012, 02:33 PM
You can copy the pdf files to your Mac...

the pdf files are located here:
C:\Program Files\EFILive\V7.5\Doc
C:\Program Files\EFILive\V8\Documents

(notice there are subfolders containing further pdf's)

Sinister
May 7th, 2012, 02:41 PM
I did this for the tuning tool. I did not realize I also needed to do it for the scan tool. I did select the GenIII LS1 1999-2008

Sinister
May 7th, 2012, 03:12 PM
I appologize but I am using my mac for the internet and the other computer to tune. It uses an air card and is a pain. I typed in the vin. I noticed that my choice was actually LS1B GenIII 99-08. I assume that is still the correct one. I also changed my computer settings to max battery. I was able to connect with the ignition switch on and it would monitor and pause for logging as long as I wanted. However, as soon as I started the vehicle it would pop up on the screen that it was trying to reconnnect. The error code said ERR_NOcable Same cable I use for the tuning tool. It did monitor for much longer than before. Maybe 20 seconds. I saw my ECT move to around 160, the IAT was 104 and the Commanded AFR was 9.7

I'm going to call it a night for now. It's getting late but I appreciate the quick responses.

joecar
May 8th, 2012, 05:48 AM
Do you have FlashScan V1 or V2...?

I pm'd Tech Support.

Tordne
May 8th, 2012, 07:06 AM
Could you please check the following settign in your Scan Tool application:
- Open the Scan Tool
- Go to the ‘Edit->Properties’ menu option
- On the ‘Connection’ tab set the ‘Preferred interface cable type’ to ‘EFILive FlashScan V2.5 (HAPI)’
- Uncheck the ‘Scan all cable types’ checkbox

Blacky
May 8th, 2012, 08:00 AM
However, as soon as I started the vehicle it would pop up on the screen that it was trying to reconnnect.

What happens if you don't start logging (i.e. don't click the red "start logging" button) until after you have started the engine?
Does it start and continue to log while the engine is running?
If so, it may be the battery voltage is dropping too low during cranking and causing FlashScan to reset.
If FlashScan does reset during cranking you would see FlashScan's screen go blank and re-display the EFILive logo - does that happen during cranking?

Regards
Paul

Sinister
May 8th, 2012, 08:55 AM
I am not at home right now but will try these things tonight. As far as the information asked. I have the V1 flashscan and I don't think it is battery voltage dropping because I fully charge my Optima battery on slow charge of 2amps over night. My car will always at least fire right up battery power wise. I can try and run the scan tool with it actually on the battery charger just to verify though.

I was only clicking monitoring by clicking the Green button at the top left and then in the bottom middle I think it is the yellow button for monitoring. That is what I would do with the ignition on but the car not running yet. I would do this after completely warming the car up first and then shutting it off, this way I knew that if I at least had ECT reading everything is working. Once I started the car it would pop up the box to reconnect and have a count. I never even tried to log I have just been trying to monitor while running. Hope I explained that correctly.

joecar
May 8th, 2012, 11:07 AM
Check all the grounds shown in your PCM wiring diagram for good connection... also check the grounds on the engine block/heads.

Sinister
May 8th, 2012, 12:43 PM
Could you please check the following settign in your Scan Tool application:
- Open the Scan Tool
- Go to the ‘Edit->Properties’ menu option
- On the ‘Connection’ tab set the ‘Preferred interface cable type’ to ‘EFILive FlashScan V2.5 (HAPI)’
- Uncheck the ‘Scan all cable types’ checkbox

I tried this and it did not work. I even closed everything down in the computer and started from scratch while the car was running. When I opened the scanning tool up it popped a box up that said.....Your cable is set to EFIlive FlashScan V2.5 Hapi but the cable EFI live FlashScan V1 USB is recognized. Something to that affect. It then asked me if I wanted to update it to use the V1 USB. I said yes and the monitoring worked for about 5 seconds, the it pauses and about 5 seconds later it tries to reconnect. I seem to be getting two different error codes that pop up. Sometimes it is the Err_No cable and sometimes it says Err no connection check to see if the ignition is on. However, all this is popping up while the car is running.

Any ideas? Again, the cable works fine in the tuning tool. No connection problems when doing my tune.

joecar
May 8th, 2012, 01:39 PM
When that happens, goto the Console tab of the scantool and copy/paste all of the text to this thread.

Sinister
May 8th, 2012, 02:00 PM
Okay. I tried both the V1 USB and the V2.5 Hapi and the box unchecked. Same thing happened. This time I copied the information as you requested. Here it is......

11:18:08.100: EFILive V7.5 Version V7.5.7 (Build 204)
11:18:14.439: No interface cable found.
11:18:15.080: Ready.

11:18:19.246: Ready.

11:18:38.714: No interface cable found.
11:18:39.375: Ready.

11:18:48.458: Not connected to vehicle, check ignition is switched on
11:19:03.710: No interface cable found.
11:19:04.351: Ready.

11:19:11.331: Not connected to vehicle, check ignition is switched on

joecar
May 8th, 2012, 02:20 PM
Ok, do this:
- unplug your FlashScan from your PC;
- from the Desktop go Start->All Programs->EFILive->V8->EFILive USB Manager,
- when the USB Manager comes up, un-install the USB driver, and then install driver version V2.02.04, exit the USB Manager,
- plug your FlashScan into your PC.

Sinister
May 8th, 2012, 02:30 PM
Will do.

Sinister
May 8th, 2012, 02:36 PM
Ok, do this:
- unplug your FlashScan from your PC;
- from the Desktop go Start->All Programs->EFILive->V8->EFILive USB Manager,
- when the USB Manager comes up, un-install the USB driver, and then install driver version V2.02.04, exit the USB Manager,
- plug your FlashScan into your PC.

Okay, I was able to go to Start>All Programs>EFIlive.....but there is no V8. I have V7 or V7.5 choice and neither of those go to a EFI live USB Manager.

Sinister
May 8th, 2012, 03:07 PM
I did a "search" on my computer and found the EFI live USB manager and uninstalled it as you said. I then installed the version V2.02.04 and plugged the cable back in and clicked okay. The box popped up that said new hardware had been found and was ready to use. However, when I started the car and tried to scan/monitor the same things still happened again. ERR no/cable and Err no ignition detected. Same as before. I do not have V8 though. I have V7 and V7.5

joecar
May 8th, 2012, 03:15 PM
Do you have a different USB cable you can try with...?

Sinister
May 8th, 2012, 03:33 PM
No. I can try to get a different one tomorrow. Is it a little weird that it works on the tuning tool though?

Blacky
May 8th, 2012, 03:38 PM
No. I can try to get a different one tomorrow. Is it a little weird that it works on the tuning tool though?

Try this with the engine running and FlashScan connected to both the vehicle and the laptop...
1. Start the Tune Tool software.
2. Select the menu option: Flash->Show PCM Info
3. Click on the [Get Info] button.

If that works and displays info, then the OBDII connector would appear to be ok while the engine is running.
If that fails, then it is possible that once the ignition is switched on (Edit: I mean once the engine is running) either power or ground is being lost to the OBDII connector.

Regards
Paul

joecar
May 8th, 2012, 03:44 PM
Paul has a good point about power/ground connections in the OBDII socket.

Sinister
May 8th, 2012, 03:57 PM
Try this with the engine running and FlashScan connected to both the vehicle and the laptop...
1. Start the Tune Tool software.
2. Select the menu option: Flash->Show PCM Info
3. Click on the [Get Info] button.

If that works and displays info, then the OBDII connector would appear to be ok while the engine is running.
If that fails, then it is possible that once the ignition is switched on (Edit: I mean once the engine is running) either power or ground is being lost to the OBDII connector.

Regards
Paul

That worked. I had to change the button that said LS1B GenIII 99-08 and then clicked "Get Info" button and it filled in all the blank boxes plus gave a bunch of numbers in the open box below. Looks like that worked. No problems.

I appreciate the help. I will check this again in the morning. My wife is giving me a hard time coming in and out of the house. We have 4 kids and she is due with number 5 in a couple weeks. Better do as she says. lol. Thanks again.

Sinister
May 9th, 2012, 07:56 AM
Okay, since it is obvious it wasn't a ground issue, I went and purchased a new micro USB cable. I left the old cable plugged in and then "uninstalled" it. I then installed the version you said and plugged the new cable in. That fixed the problem. It monitored, recorded and didn't shut the car off. Now it is time to figure out how to get the items I need scanned. Thanks again. Problem fixed! Bad USB cable.