PDA

View Full Version : Is this OS supported by EFILive?

MaxPF
May 10th, 2012, 10:35 PM
2007 A40 TCM, OS is 25821031. When I fire up the scan tool, it connects but doesn't do the "Validating somethingorother" scrolling bar routine that it does with my A46 TCM. When I select the PIDS for Battery Voltage, Throttle Position, and Delivered Torque and start monitoring, it gives me an error that the throttle position PID is not valid. Also, it just reads "0" for delivered torque. Only the battery voltage gives a reading. With my A46 TCM (OS is 24259900) I get valid data for all of those PIDS.

If this is a valid OS for EFILive, then it means the TCM isn't recognizing my throttle inputs, so I need to go to plan B.

Here's the tune file:

GMPX
May 12th, 2012, 02:08 PM
You must have other issues. The tune itself is supported in V7, the scan side doesn't depend on the OS being supported in the tuning tool.
You should try revalidating the PID's once connected. (Press shift+f2) when connected to the vehicle.

MaxPF
May 12th, 2012, 02:36 PM
You must have other issues. The tune itself is supported in V7, the scan side doesn't depend on the OS being supported in the tuning tool.
You should try revalidating the PID's once connected. (Press shift+f2) when connected to the vehicle.

I will try that, but I believe the problem is simply that this OS doesn't have the particular functionality I need. I will probably need to have it flashed with a different OS.

Any idea when full reading/flashing of Allison TCMs will happen?

GMPX
May 12th, 2012, 11:35 PM
Any idea when full reading/flashing of Allison TCMs will happen?
It won't because of the A40 TCM read speed (over one hour to read the OS and cals). I'll repost an Email I recently sent someone on why we don't do full reads of the A40. Given it's over an hour to read the A40, people usually just use TIS to get the OS they need flashed in.

I can break it down to two specific methods of reading or programming a particular ECM or TCM.
The first type is where EFILive can send up a small program to execute in the ECM's RAM that controls the read or flash process. This method is used by the LB7, LLY and nearly every GM gas ECM & TCM. Doing it this way EFILive has 100% control over the process, we can send as much data as we want and as fast as we want. We can employ some simple compression to the data as well, the end result, an ECM like the 2012 gassers we can read the full 3Mb of flash in just on 2 minutes and cal flash in about 25 seconds.
The second type we have very little control over because the manufacturer does not allow programs to be sent and executed in the ECM/TCM. The manufacturer has built in read and write routines, using these is the only method that we can use. The Bosch ECM's and A40 fall in to this category. Unfortunately Allison chose to restrict the read speeds to something bordering on snails pace, if we could execute our own read code in the A40 we could do a full read in a few minutes.
EFILive has no control over what method we can use, the manufacturer either allows external code to be executed or they force us to use their built in (usually very slow) read and write routines, or in the case of the LML ECM, you can't execute external code and Bosch did not put a read routine in the ECM.

Cheers,
Ross

MaxPF
May 13th, 2012, 06:48 PM
It won't because of the A40 TCM read speed (over one hour to read the OS and cals). I'll repost an Email I recently sent someone on why we don't do full reads of the A40. Given it's over an hour to read the A40, people usually just use TIS to get the OS they need flashed in.

On a bench, an hour+ read time is no big deal. Even if that is just a single read, and another would have to be done for verification, I wouldn't care if it took several hours.

Using TIS is fine, but that can only be done by a dealer, correct? It would be nice to have the OS I'm interested in stored and be able to reflash TCMs as needed with it. It may be a long read time, but it would only need to be fone once ;)

GMPX
May 13th, 2012, 06:55 PM
On a bench, an hour+ read time is no big deal. Even if that is just a single read, and another would have to be done for verification, I wouldn't care if it took several hours.
Currently we have no way to change how much we read at the end user level. I know waiting an hour to read on a bench TCM isn't an issue.

Using TIS is fine, but that can only be done by a dealer, correct?
No, anyone can have access to TIS, but it's not free ($1K per year) plus you need a Drewtech cable (or TechII) as that is the only devices TIS will work with for flashing.

Cheers,
Ross

MaxPF
May 13th, 2012, 08:53 PM
Currently we have no way to change how much we read at the end user level.

I'm not sure I understand what you mean. Do you mean the TCM firmware won't let you read out the entire memory contents (OS + cal)?

No, anyone can have access to TIS, but it's not free ($1K per year) plus you need a Drewtech cable (or TechII) as that is the only devices TIS will work with for flashing.

Cheers,
Ross

Therin lies the problem. a grand a year for TIS access plus a couple grand for the interface isn't practical for the hobbyist. Same goes for Allison DOC. Doing a full read and flash with EFI Live is ideal for small timers like me :D

kangsta
May 13th, 2012, 09:39 PM
Currently we have no way to change how much we read at the end user level. I know waiting an hour to read on a bench TCM isn't an issue.

Cheers,
Ross

Cal read and full read would make an awesome firmware option for those controllers that can take quite a bit to read. If they allow partial reading that is... *HINT* @ Paul.