PDA

View Full Version : Question regarding LC1 hookup for calibration

mtnman
February 10th, 2006, 04:52 PM
The LC-1 Installation Tutorial mentions connecting the PC's serial connection to the serial out of the LC-1. As luck would have it:bash: , my laptop does not have a serial out connection. Has anyone used a serial to usb adapter for calibration of their LC-1? I dont wanna spend money on one of these adapters to find out it wont work with the LC-1's serial out connection.

Tordne
February 10th, 2006, 04:58 PM
USB to Serial adapter's should be generic and therefore work fine. But, I don;t have any direct experience with LC-1 calibration.

SSbaby
February 11th, 2006, 01:37 AM
The LC-1 Installation Tutorial mentions connecting the PC's serial connection to the serial out of the LC-1. As luck would have it:bash: , my laptop does not have a serial out connection. Has anyone used a serial to usb adapter for calibration of their LC-1? I dont wanna spend money on one of these adapters to find out it wont work with the LC-1's serial out connection.
Exactly my dilemma I discovered today. :nixweiss:

I'm going to the bigger stores tomorrow as the 2 local stores didn't have them. Why do these LC-1s come with DB9 serial connectors instead of USB? :rippedhand:

Doc
February 11th, 2006, 03:25 AM
The IO GEAR model GUC232AWM is availble at Walmart. I can vouch for it. I love Super Walmart where else can you pick up stuff for diner and a USB to Serial converter? So all you hybrid driving Walmart hating jackasses better get out of my way and if you have the NPR turned up too loud then I'll just have to flip the switch on my QTP electric cut out.

Doc
February 11th, 2006, 03:43 AM
Also note this http://forum.efilive.com/showthread.php?t=1798

dissonance
February 11th, 2006, 08:25 AM
I use the iogear also but it has caused some problems for me... at least on my Sony Vaio. Locking up or system dump, I have not had this problem with it on my other notebooks. Dell XPS Gen2, HP Evo and Compaq Evo. When I do anything with my lc-1 I use my Dell D510 with a serial port, works so much better. The only way I can get the iogear stable on my system is to use an iogear USB 2.0 hub.

I’m pro iogear; I have three external hard drives enclosures x2 USB 2.0 and a Firewire unit, USB hubs and the USB to Serial converter.

As Doc said you can get the iogear model at Wal-Mart about $30 or you could find it at Bestbuy but Bestbuy is going to be alittle higher.

Dirk Diggler
February 11th, 2006, 08:39 AM
I bought a chepie serial to usb adapter from bestbuy. Its a ATEn or something like that

SSbaby
February 11th, 2006, 10:32 AM
I've got the LM-Programmer installed on my desktop PC which has 25-pin serial port. The cheapest solution would be to buy an RS232 D9 - D25 converter and program the LC-1 from the desktop... beats paying exhorbitant prices for DB9 - USB converters.

Doc
February 11th, 2006, 11:04 AM
No problems with the IO Gear converter when used with my Dell inspiron 1300

mtnman
February 12th, 2006, 07:41 AM
Why do these LC-1s come with DB9 serial connectors instead of USB? :rippedhand:

I totally agree. I think the usb hookups are gonna be more common on pcs, especially laptops than these db9 connections. I dont understand why the heck they dont use usb instead either.

mtnman
February 12th, 2006, 07:45 AM
Oh, and in response to my post, I've purchased the db9 to usb adapter (belkin) at circuit city for $24. I've seen some online for like $13 + s&h.

Still working on the calibration of the wb02 to work with efilive tho, so i'm not 100% that the connection between the db9 and usb are 1 to 1.